Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

kiwi 23b leak in the bottom of the closet close to the rear bed?

Has anyone seen a leak in the bottom of the closet close to the rear bed. I noticed when I opened the lower cabinet door in the back corner a leak. The wall and the ceiling in the closet are as dry as a stone. It is in the hardest spot to get to in the camper so I was wondering if anyone has had this issue or if it could possibly be from the lower trim on the outside seal. Thanks
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

What year is your kiwi 23B? The water could be from a few different areas. Bunk end seal is bad, or a roof seal, and the water is running down the inside of the wall until it reaches the floor. If yours has a similar floor layout to my 23B, your water pipes to your kitchen sink runs through that area. You might have a damaged pipe. Also remember water flows down hill. So if that corner was the low point, it just might be pooling in that area.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Mine is a 2000. I just noticed this after a heavy rain. I have not opened the bunk end yet as the new canvas I ordered has not arrived so that may be a strong possibility. There should be no water in the lines as the previous owner winterized it so I am not ruling it out that that could be the source. I know that the roof has been rubber coated but I will check that seal along that side. I have the front of the TT slightly elevated to keep the water from sitting on the roof. That could be the spot on the bottom where the water comes off the side and down. That was what made me think of that lower seal around the base. Upon further inspection in the back where the power converter is I noticed the linoleum up so now given the idea that you have provided I will drop that rear bunk and check that seal. I have ordered the new canvas ends and they should be here in a few weeks. Not really sure how they attach since I did not remove the old ones but they told me that the snaps have been replaced with Velcro so it should be interesting to see. Thanks for the information!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

Check the Tail Light Seals

I used to have a Jayco 17c that did something similar. During heavy rains, I would find water at the rear in the closet. Turns out, that under the right conditions, like a heavy rain storm, water would get under the tail light cover, and leak in where the wiring came through the trailer walls. I actually found the tail light half full of water during a storm one time, which is how I figured it out. Sealed that up, and the problem went away. Worth a look.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

Along those lines, you could also drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the taillight lens to drain any water. This would prevent water from building up to the point that it could enter the trailer through the wiring hole.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the tail light info I will check that out today. The black undercarriage material seems to be sagging and as the water runs down the outside it seems to run back and drip off of it. It is between the base of the awning arm and the last foot of the TT on the underside. I plan on caulking the outside base trim over just to be on the safe side as well. It is suppose to rain again today here so it will give me another chance to look at it. Hopefully I can find an easy solution to this problem quickly!