Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

leak and can not find it

Hello,
We have a x23f. We went out on vacation last week and i found a soft spot in the back on the floor. I pulled some of the flooring up to take a peak. it was soaked. I have noted water in the rear bunk end once and a while, did not think much of it till i found this. I have dropped the camper to sit lower in the front and to have water run to the front. I have not had a leak since i did this.

I am leaning toward the bunk end leaking. HAs anyone else had this and what did you do to fix. I am getting marina epoxy to fix the floor. Not sure how to go about fixing the seal.
any thoughts would be great,
peach680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Team

My bunk ends used to leak when it was pouring out. Only during a bad storm. I ended up adding a seal on the outer rim of the bunk end and no more leaks.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

First, I would try to confirm that the seal is really the problem. Mine had a leak, but it was above the bed hatch as well. Get a moisture meter and see if you have wet readings for the walls above the hatch; if yes look higher. The rear marker lights each have a hole behind and can be a leak point, as can the seam between the roof membrane and the wall. I used Eternabond over the seam and sealed the tops of the marker lights.

Next, is your bunk sealing properly. If you have the cargo bar type of system (there are at least 3 different closing mechanisms on the hybrid line over the years), make sure sure that it is still applying sufficient pressure to the door to seal. There are rubber pads on each bar, and if they are dried or have fallen off, the door may not be getting a tight seal. Replace missing pads, and dress old pads to restore.

Next, check the bunk seals. If they are dried or cracked either rejuvenate or replace. There are rubber protection products at your auto-parts store that will restore a lot of the give in the rubber. Replacement seals can also be purchased.

If you still have trouble getting a seal, add a thicker seal, or an extra layer. The previous owner of my HTT added a bit of foam weather-stripping to the trailer side of the sealing surface to add a little more protection.

Finally, take a look for several other posts here in the HTT section for those of us who have repaired our floors. There are a couple hear and in other forums as well. Just be aware that fixing a floor on a laminated construction trailer might be a bit more challenging than a classic trailer construction as there are probably two different layers of rotted wood on either side of the sandwich.

Good luck to you!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #4

Good advice already given.

I had leaks... Who knows where, but about 10 years ago I had a bad leak after using everyone's beloved (not me anymore) Eternabond tape. So check the vents that have pipes all the way or near the floor. Water can follow the outside of pipes all the way down. Long shot, but not thought about very often.

I hate roof leaks. I plan on putting Crazy Seal on my roof soon (I already have it!). Just waiting for decent weather.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Check what isn't obvious. I found a small leak in the lower left corner of our rear bed panel in the corner where the frame joins together. The factory caulking came off, and despite it being a very small gap, water seeped in and did slight damage to the paneling in that corner inside the wall. I caught it early but it cause slight delamination on the outside panel.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote