Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #1

Leak from where??

I purchased a 2012 Jayco x17 and the luan in the storage area by front bunk is soft. I thought it was coming from roof so resealed those areas about 2 months ago. The area is still soft with a possibility of getting a little larger hard to tell. Not sure if there is still a leak or the area just isnít able to dry out. The bed itself is dry and no water visible anywhere in bunk. Any suggestions on helping it dry or other area to check for a leak.
Abby242489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF!

Definitely check the seals around the bunk to see if water is getting past those. It will not generally get the bunk itself wet, but will run down to the wall below.

To help dry it out, get a couple of the big pails of damp rid from WalMart and keep changing them as they fill up. I keep a couple in my HTT all the time.

You might also want to pick up an inexpensive moisture meter from Amazon. It will leave little bite marks on the wall (can't really notice) but is a great aid in tracking the trail of the moisture along a wall.

Good luck locating the leak!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #3

Welcome aboard! Your 17Z is very similar to my 23B. Can you describe which piece of luan is moist? There are a number of pieces.

My experience with leaky bunk seals; water always accumulates on the canvas exterior. When this has happened to me, the cause has been the bunk has been closed with a piece of the skirt caught up in the seal. I am now very careful closing up the bunks, to ensure this does not happen any more.

When the bunk is open, watch the skirt, next to the side walls. I always spend a moment there while setting up to ensure the skirt is laying nicely to ensure water stays away from the hing.

General side wall caulking; check over all your caulking, do it twice a year. For the last few years now, I have found side wall caulking that needs to be touched up annually.

Down low; Check your cargo hatch seal, mine started shortly after I got my unit. The seal was installed incorrectly. But I can see the seal getting damaged from use, so you may want to spend a few moments checking all your seals.

Without knowing which piece of luan, it is hard to guess where the water infiltration is coming from.

If you know anyone with a thermal camera, it will show you the water leak during or right after a rain storm. It sees the water as cool compared to the surrounding area.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

We had a similar leak in our X20E. I discovered it because I reached inside that storage area for something and felt a little water. This was after towing it in a heavy rain. It was caused by something at that time I had never realized. There is a white molding across the entire front of the trailer (my molding is black). It's covering a seam between the top section of wall and the tread plate below. On each end there should be caulking filling the gap. There was no caulking in the gap on the right side of the trailer. Easy fix, it never happened again.

Being that yours is a 2012 check those areas. It's possible that the caulking shrunk and now lets water in.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

Thank you we did take it in and they are assuming it was coming from seam above bunk. They resealed and said they will address repairing the luan come fall. Do you think the damp rid will do the trick to dry it out? Iím not so concerned about the waviness of the luan if itís dried and no longer leaking I canít see paying $600 for cosmetic work.
Abby242489 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, leak, x17