Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
Member
 
lfcave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 44
Leaks and cracked plastic strip

We own a 2016 Jay Feather 7, 19XUD bought new in 2017.
We were in a whopper of a storm 2 weeks ago (2.5 inches of rain in 30 minutes). The front end fold down bed leaked on the door side at the camper/bed connection. I couldn't find the cause at that time. However, yesterday with the sun shining, I found the reason. The clear bendable seal is cracked and you can see the sky! I then discover multiple cracks in the seal.

Any solutions other than going to the dealership?
Attached Thumbnails
20200801_103304.jpg   20200801_103226.jpg   20200801_105134.jpg  
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcave View Post
We own a 2016 Jay Feather 7, 19XUD bought new in 2017.
We were in a whopper of a storm 2 weeks ago (2.5 inches of rain in 30 minutes). The front end fold down bed leaked on the door side at the camper/bed connection. I couldn't find the cause at that time. However, yesterday with the sun shining, I found the reason. The clear bendable seal is cracked and you can see the sky! I then discover multiple cracks in the seal.

Any solutions other than going to the dealership?
We too have a 2017 Jay Feather 7, 19XUD with the same problem - any update on your repair? Thank you
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pasco
Posts: 44
Anyone with an update??

I'm horrified Jayco hasn't come up with a solution to this problem. We've got a 2016 as well, with three tents. After MUCH arguing with the dealership and having to contact Jayco personally, we did manage to get our front tent repaired under warranty. They replaced the entire tent, not just the seal. But it is almost the same setup, in which I don't have much confidence. Our trailer is no longer under warranty, and both of our other tent seals are split at well now.
__________________
Michelle
2016 Jayco Jay Feather X23F
Towed by a 2015 Dodge Ram
mtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Member
 
lfcave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 44
Saga of the cracked plastic strip on our canvas

Hi all
It has been 15 months since we discovered the cracked plastic strip. Here is what has happened. The months may not be accurate. Also our dealer is 200 miles away.
1. July Notified dealer of strip cracks that hopefully was covered under our premium extended warranty. No return call.
2. Again contacted dealer as in #1. No response from dealer.
3. Sent email to national office of our dealer. Was assured via email that our problem was assigned to a customer relations person at our dealer.
4. August Dealer customer agent (not the one that the national office said was assigned to our problem) contacted via email and asked for pictures.
5. Sent pictures via email.
6. September Still had not heard from dealer customer agent.
7. Phoned dealer and actually talked to an agent. My pictures had gone to his spam and he didn't look for them. He then found them. He would send the pictures to the extended warranty people.
8. October Dealer agent called and said canvas problem was not covered by warranty either under Jayco or extended warranty. Extended warranty people said we didn't do regular maintenance on the plastic strip(?).
We would have to replace the entire canvas and pay for it. Dealer agent did ask a upholstery person if they would replace the plastic strip. Too much trouble to do that. The dealer would order the 2 canvases but we needed to put down 50% cost, about $1000 which we did. Canvas was to be in in January.
9. January no canvas.
10. February no canvas
11. February l called customer service at Jayco and lady said Jayco did have a partial warranty on canvas repair. Also said there was no maintenance to be done on that plastc strip.
11. March called dealer agent and left phone message. He did return my call and said the replacements would be at the dealer in April.
12. April only 1 canvas came. Next one to expected in May.
13. May. Took the camper to dealer so both canvases could be installed as soon as the 2nd arrived.
14. June Both canvas installed and we finally got our camper back about June 10th. Total cost $2400.
14b.Took it to Georgia and put up the canvas for the 1st time. 4 small holes in 1 of the new canvases.
15 July Called dealer agent about holes in new canvas. Left message. Finally got an appointment to have holes fixed in August.
16.August Drove to dealer and sat all day because the contracted canvas repair person was on another job in another town. I was told that someone in my town would contact me and get the canvas fixed.
17. August. 10 days later I hadn't heard from anyone. Called dealer and actually talked to the dealer agent. Later same day I got a call from the repair man who came out 2 days later and finally fixed the holes in our new canvas.
End of saga !
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pasco
Posts: 44
What a nightmare! I'm glad you finally did get things fixed! Can you tell me what the repair man did to finally fix it right?

Apparently the tents were supposed to be warranted for five years.... We are just barely out of our warranty now, but even if we were still within the time frame, I'm sure it would have been a nightmare to deal with based on your experience and mine....

I saw on another post that Jayco was discontinuing the hybrids... Must have gotten tired of dealing with the ramifications of their shoddy installation methods. Other than those dang split seals, I absolutely love our hybrid, and very much like the space and tenting-experience they provide.
__________________
Michelle
2016 Jayco Jay Feather X23F
Towed by a 2015 Dodge Ram
mtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #6
Member
 
lfcave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 44
I am not sure what the canvas repairman did. He talked about numerous layers that were heat bonded.
We also love our hybrid. Perfect size for us and the grandkids. We are also former tenters and love the tenting feel of our hybrid. I will admit that climbing in and out of our bunk end is getting harder at 74 and 71.
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcave View Post
Hi all
It has been 15 months since we discovered the cracked plastic strip. Here is what has happened. The months may not be accurate. Also our dealer is 200 miles away.
1. July Notified dealer of strip cracks that hopefully was covered under our premium extended warranty. No return call.
2. Again contacted dealer as in #1. No response from dealer.
3. Sent email to national office of our dealer. Was assured via email that our problem was assigned to a customer relations person at our dealer.
4. August Dealer customer agent (not the one that the national office said was assigned to our problem) contacted via email and asked for pictures.
5. Sent pictures via email.
6. September Still had not heard from dealer customer agent.
7. Phoned dealer and actually talked to an agent. My pictures had gone to his spam and he didn't look for them. He then found them. He would send the pictures to the extended warranty people.
8. October Dealer agent called and said canvas problem was not covered by warranty either under Jayco or extended warranty. Extended warranty people said we didn't do regular maintenance on the plastic strip(?).
We would have to replace the entire canvas and pay for it. Dealer agent did ask a upholstery person if they would replace the plastic strip. Too much trouble to do that. The dealer would order the 2 canvases but we needed to put down 50% cost, about $1000 which we did. Canvas was to be in in January.
9. January no canvas.
10. February no canvas
11. February l called customer service at Jayco and lady said Jayco did have a partial warranty on canvas repair. Also said there was no maintenance to be done on that plastc strip.
11. March called dealer agent and left phone message. He did return my call and said the replacements would be at the dealer in April.
12. April only 1 canvas came. Next one to expected in May.
13. May. Took the camper to dealer so both canvases could be installed as soon as the 2nd arrived.
14. June Both canvas installed and we finally got our camper back about June 10th. Total cost $2400.
14b.Took it to Georgia and put up the canvas for the 1st time. 4 small holes in 1 of the new canvases.
15 July Called dealer agent about holes in new canvas. Left message. Finally got an appointment to have holes fixed in August.
16.August Drove to dealer and sat all day because the contracted canvas repair person was on another job in another town. I was told that someone in my town would contact me and get the canvas fixed.
17. August. 10 days later I hadn't heard from anyone. Called dealer and actually talked to the dealer agent. Later same day I got a call from the repair man who came out 2 days later and finally fixed the holes in our new canvas.
End of saga !
WOW-What a horrible experience with Jayco and your dealership (----200 miles just to the dealership!) – I was horrified and upset just reading your update! I see from your past entries on the forum you have had problems with your awning, furnace, lights (we had to change all the interior lights due to the recall), window covering, jammed sewer hose in the bumper (just one side on ours), moisture under the mattresses and refrigerator not working properly (ours was a battery power source needed to operate – we also have a jumper wire to reset, just in case). We have had some of the same problems except our front cap was never finished at the bottom from the factory (QA/QC problem)– it had a gap about ½ to ¾ inch that would have allowed water in while driving down the road on a rainy day (I turned on the interior lights at night and checked under, over and on the sides- opened all the cabs and storage areas from the interior and started chalking holes) – emailed Jayco on the bottom cap problem to see if they would send some chalking and tape to finish out the bottom – no way they would do that --- they requested that we had to take it to the dealer and as with your experience and others - so we finished the bottom cap on our dime by our technicians. The next big problem was the white vinyl cover inside of our door started cross cracking in 2019 from the top to the bottom – Jayco would not cover any of the repairs or a replacement--- we have had our many emails with Jayco without any “relief” on any of our problems, as to the meaning in the legal world for relief. Jayco always points in the direction of the component supplier for replacement or not covered under warranty. ----Now going back to the cracked plastic strip on the canvases. We noticed the cracks in the poly trim attached to both canvases around the mid-summer of 2018; however, they were just cracks with no large amount of separation at that time (there was some separation at the corners). We winterized the trailer with a cover etc. (El Paso Texas has very mild winters) for the rest of the year. The summer of 2019, we started our project camping again and I noticed some larger amount of separation on both canvases on the bunk ends the first time we rigged up to check the camper for our new project trip. This prompted me to start doing some research on this problem and in this period, a temporary fix was performed – under the advice of engineering, our technicians using glue and a thin strip of metal only completed a temporary fix to secure the canvases and to keep water out. So, due to the virus we put any further action on the problem to rest. Now that things are starting to open again (not to nominal), we have started pursuing the permanent repair of the canvas bunk ends (if that is possible with the design or their ways of installation) – it seems Jayco is not taking ownership of this well documented problem involving the separation of the poly strip attached to the canvas covering the bunk ends and in your case are charging for the privilege of the dealership to perform the repair-replacement on a known (well documented) problem to what appears on readily available documentation, which Jayco continued to produce, after the known problem, off their assembly line etc. - ref. lemon law - did they give you anything in writing on the denial of coverage? I have some questions; let me start with: Did the dealership give you back the parts (both canvas ends) and did they install the new replacement canvases the same way as the original factory installation (can you provide some pictures?)? Did the dealership have installation instructions from Jayco or did the dealership have their own installation instructions? Most dealerships have bulletins from the factory or the supplier on how to install their components – I have read an interesting statement on this forum that a dealership had a bulletin from Jayco to install them only as instructed per Jayco – I would love to have a copy of that bulletin. Who was the manufacture of the bunk ends and was there a warranty on the new component that includes the installation? In earlier submittals to the forum, I included an email from Jayco that stated LCI is responsible for the bunk end component; now LCI is stating “Thank you for contacting Lippert Customer Care Center. I am sorry but that is not a Lippert Component”. Our saga continues – it is always a battle with Jayco – I would also like to know what the regular maintenance is on the plastic strip would be??? – I didn’t see anything in the manual or even anything on the web? Again, it is very upsetting hearing what you had to go through – I am afraid that the value of these hybrid campers will go down the drain, as Michelle commented (thank you Michelle- great comment), Jayco was discontinuing the hybrids – “Must have gotten tired of dealing with the ramifications of their shoddy installation methods.” - Unless Jayco comes out with a fix to the problem, which I don’t see unless the AG gets involved. Again, thank you Ifcave for your update and look forward to your response. Stay safe!
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoscience Guy View Post
WOW-What a horrible experience with Jayco and your dealership (----200 miles just to the dealership!) – I was horrified and upset just reading your update! I see from your past entries on the forum you have had problems with your awning, furnace, lights (we had to change all the interior lights due to the recall), window covering, jammed sewer hose in the bumper (just one side on ours), moisture under the mattresses and refrigerator not working properly (ours was a battery power source needed to operate – we also have a jumper wire to reset, just in case). We have had some of the same problems except our front cap was never finished at the bottom from the factory (QA/QC problem)– it had a gap about ½ to ¾ inch that would have allowed water in while driving down the road on a rainy day (I turned on the interior lights at night and checked under, over and on the sides- opened all the cabs and storage areas from the interior and started chalking holes) – emailed Jayco on the bottom cap problem to see if they would send some chalking and tape to finish out the bottom – no way they would do that --- they requested that we had to take it to the dealer and as with your experience and others - so we finished the bottom cap on our dime by our technicians. The next big problem was the white vinyl cover inside of our door started cross cracking in 2019 from the top to the bottom – Jayco would not cover any of the repairs or a replacement--- we have had our many emails with Jayco without any “relief” on any of our problems, as to the meaning in the legal world for relief. Jayco always points in the direction of the component supplier for replacement or not covered under warranty. ----Now going back to the cracked plastic strip on the canvases. We noticed the cracks in the poly trim attached to both canvases around the mid-summer of 2018; however, they were just cracks with no large amount of separation at that time (there was some separation at the corners). We winterized the trailer with a cover etc. (El Paso Texas has very mild winters) for the rest of the year. The summer of 2019, we started our project camping again and I noticed some larger amount of separation on both canvases on the bunk ends the first time we rigged up to check the camper for our new project trip. This prompted me to start doing some research on this problem and in this period, a temporary fix was performed – under the advice of engineering, our technicians using glue and a thin strip of metal only completed a temporary fix to secure the canvases and to keep water out. So, due to the virus we put any further action on the problem to rest. Now that things are starting to open again (not to nominal), we have started pursuing the permanent repair of the canvas bunk ends (if that is possible with the design or their ways of installation) – it seems Jayco is not taking ownership of this well documented problem involving the separation of the poly strip attached to the canvas covering the bunk ends and in your case are charging for the privilege of the dealership to perform the repair-replacement on a known (well documented) problem to what appears on readily available documentation, which Jayco continued to produce, after the known problem, off their assembly line etc. - ref. lemon law - did they give you anything in writing on the denial of coverage? I have some questions; let me start with: Did the dealership give you back the parts (both canvas ends) and did they install the new replacement canvases the same way as the original factory installation (can you provide some pictures?)? Did the dealership have installation instructions from Jayco or did the dealership have their own installation instructions? Most dealerships have bulletins from the factory or the supplier on how to install their components – I have read an interesting statement on this forum that a dealership had a bulletin from Jayco to install them only as instructed per Jayco – I would love to have a copy of that bulletin. Who was the manufacture of the bunk ends and was there a warranty on the new component that includes the installation? In earlier submittals to the forum, I included an email from Jayco that stated LCI is responsible for the bunk end component; now LCI is stating “Thank you for contacting Lippert Customer Care Center. I am sorry but that is not a Lippert Component”. Our saga continues – it is always a battle with Jayco – I would also like to know what the regular maintenance is on the plastic strip would be??? – I didn’t see anything in the manual or even anything on the web? Again, it is very upsetting hearing what you had to go through – I am afraid that the value of these hybrid campers will go down the drain, as Michelle commented (thank you Michelle- great comment), Jayco was discontinuing the hybrids – “Must have gotten tired of dealing with the ramifications of their shoddy installation methods.” - Unless Jayco comes out with a fix to the problem, which I don’t see unless the AG gets involved. Again, thank you Ifcave for your update and look forward to your response. Stay safe!
Additional question, does your front bed bow brace ( bunk extension bar) have any adjustment or is completely at the end of the adjustment bar? Thank you!
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tunce the traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bellingham,Wa.
Posts: 6,282
I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to find a craftsman willing to assist me into making it fold up like the Apache trailers of the 70s or 80s.
I’ve seen the setup in action about 4 years ago and it’s super easy. Unfortunately I never thought of taking notes at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
CA2AE73B-71F4-4DD2-AC89-8C389AAD9E7A.jpeg   55C2B8F3-6B0A-4387-BF67-2DC41DE6A5A3.jpeg   C54C4CA5-AFDA-47B6-B033-81C221EBD3B8.jpeg  
__________________
2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Spring
Posts: 654
A trailer like that would be the best of all worlds. Would be a dream to tow.
__________________
2016 Starcraft AR One 18QB
2016 Colorado LT 3.6L V6 Ext. Cab
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
re: I was trying to obtain instructions directly from Jayco on the factory canvas installation. This is a quote from one of the emails I received yesterday from Jayco - : "Our factory production line does, but we do not make pop-ups or canvas based trailers anymore."

Thank you,



Jayco Towables Product Support Product Support Specialist



Again, I have been trying to get the factory installation instructions, if someone has the Jayco installation instructions for bunkend canvases - PLEASE POST! Thank you
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Member
 
lfcave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 44
con't Leaks and cracked plastic strip

Geoscience Guy
let me start with: Did the dealership give you back the parts (both canvas ends)

No. On hindsight, I probably should have asked for them.

and did they install the new replacement canvases the same way as the original factory installation (can you provide some pictures?)? \\

Yes, as far as I can see, the installation is the same. Just a series of small screws through the plastic strip. I will send pictures the next time I am at the camper.

Did the dealership have installation instructions from Jayco or did the dealership have their own installation instructions? Most dealerships have bulletins from the factory or the supplier on how to install their components – I have read an interesting statement on this forum that a dealership had a bulletin from Jayco to install them only as instructed per Jayco – I would love to have a copy of that bulletin.

I can't answer this question. I can email our service agent but with the non-responses I wouldn't count on anything.

Who was the manufacture of the bunk ends and was there a warranty on the new component that includes the installation? In earlier submittals to the forum, I included an email from Jayco that stated LCI is responsible for the bunk end component; now LCI is stating “Thank you for contacting Lippert Customer Care Center. I am sorry but that is not a Lippert Component”. Our saga continues – it is always a battle with Jayco –

Again can't tell you.

I would also like to know what the regular maintenance is on the plastic strip would be??? – I didn’t see anything in the manual or even anything on the web?


When I talked to a company rep at Jayco factory, I was told there is no service to be performed.

As to your question about having adjust available on both end poles, I found out by accident that the poles are different lengths, the longer on on the front (I think.) I have adjustment room on the front and have kept it shorter this time so there wasn't stress on the attachment point.
The back is as short as it will go. I would like it about 1/2 inch shorter but haven't decided to do anything yet.

Have you taken the canvas off of your camper yet. I always take pictures as I take something apart so I can get it back together. Short memory! Also where did you get the "new" canvas?
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2
My 19XUD has the same split plastic sleeve problem. My son removed one of the factory screws holding the sleeve to to the tube to get size/length. Drilled another hole in the tube and added another screw. Cut down on the drip but did not eliminate. Now home from 5K trip, so will try the same thing again. Maybe that would help. Good Luck.
Marksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksdad View Post
My 19XUD has the same split plastic sleeve problem. My son removed one of the factory screws holding the sleeve to to the tube to get size/length. Drilled another hole in the tube and added another screw. Cut down on the drip but did not eliminate. Now home from 5K trip, so will try the same thing again. Maybe that would help. Good Luck.
Wow - another one - very sorry and upsetting to hear, can you post some pictures? How is the plastic around the other screws? We used gorilla glue and washers on the flat part of the slot and flat flexible thin metal on the corners with gorilla glue - that is something our engineer came up with as a temporary fix to the problem - what year is your 19XUD and are your poles adjustable? Thank you
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2
We purchased our lightly used 2018 19XUD in April this year for a June-Sept. FL to CA round trip. Only leaked once in heavy downpour, not bad but might get worse. Will take photo when I open it up next week. Rod not adjustable.
Marksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Is that both poles or just the one - we had one that was adjustable and the other I had to cut the outer part of the pole 1/2-inch - the tags attached to our canvas that came with the camper "Care Tips on Tents" tent shrinkage stated to reduce the frame tension when canvas is wet to prevent damage --- wow-it is hard to reduce the frame tension when there is no adjustment- I believe your canvas was manufactured by Veada Industries, Inc. which was acquired by LCI. LCI no longer makes the canvas-- working on that story or saga as Ifcave labeled it. We have never got our canvases wet-- just rigged it up 14 times - the last two were for photographs- all four corners were splitting --- to date Jayco is dodging (out of warranty) - been trying to get factory canvas installation instructions, so far I got the instructions for a Jayco Pop-up------- three days worth of emails. Again, the saga continues--- look forward to seeing your pictures - Thank you
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoscience Guy View Post
Is that both poles or just the one - we had one that was adjustable and the other I had to cut the outer part of the pole 1/2-inch - the tags attached to our canvas that came with the camper "Care Tips on Tents" tent shrinkage stated to reduce the frame tension when canvas is wet to prevent damage --- wow-it is hard to reduce the frame tension when there is no adjustment- I believe your canvas was manufactured by Veada Industries, Inc. which was acquired by LCI. LCI no longer makes the canvas-- working on that story or saga as Ifcave labeled it. We have never got our canvases wet-- just rigged it up 14 times - the last two were for photographs- all four corners were splitting --- to date Jayco is dodging (out of warranty) - been trying to get factory canvas installation instructions, so far I got the instructions for a Jayco Pop-up------- three days worth of emails. Again, the saga continues--- look forward to seeing your pictures - Thank you
Jayco continues to dodge any responsibility for the premature failure of the plastic strip due to their installation practices. They claimed they don’t have and\or never had installation instructions - the vendor provided the guidelines on how to install the canvases, not Jayco. But they could not come up with any installation instructions or procedures from the vendor(s). Through our research of readily available information, the original vendor was Veada Industries, Inc. who was acquired by LCI and LCI sold the trailer canvas part of the business to a company called Top Stitch in 2020 just after LCI acquired Veada. To our understanding, Top Stitch is now the vendor who supplies the canvases to Jayco, but is not responsible for any warranty issues. Coming from their Pres. the warranty through Top Stitch is for one year only and under the warranty conditions, the plastic strip cannot have holes drilled or screws placed through the plastic strip – my question was to Jayco, how then is the replacement canvas to be installed, as to the original installation - if the canvas fails before the one year? Still have not got an answer to that question—now going back to LCI – LCI does not have a part number for the canvas, so therefore cannot warranty the canvas- they don’t make the canvas and was not aware of the Top Stitch’s deal – that would be for top management. So good luck with any warranty – Jayco comes back to me that the trailer is out of warranty BS – continues to send the warranty agreement – which is funny because I was not going under the warranty – Jayco was the one that lead me in the first place to contact LCI under the warranty- so that was a waste of time, but interesting. Now, to our understanding, Jayco had a change for 2016 of the design for the canvas installation and called vendors, who were interested to work with them for the new canvas design – our understanding is some were not interested --- for whatever reason. From our research, Jayco continued with the new canvas design with the new installation practice from 2016 to 2019, using self-tapping screws, which in some cases were over torqued. From what we have researched, most, if not all using the self-tapping screws for metal (metal screws) is what would cause the failure or fracture in the plastic along with the over torquing of the metal screws. Using the metal screws makes for a quick installation down the assembly line – but for the consumer’s longevity of the plastic strip – it is laughable – all would have fractures coming off the assembly line - I have talked to folks in the canvas industry and these strips should last 10 plus years- I will talk a little more about fracture mechanics in polymers and creep failure on another post-- so washers and other fixes may postpone or limit creep failure, if it is done before the complete failure. So, some folks have had the canvases replaced, Jayco recommends the complete replacement, mainly if it is out of warranty – in some cases they will approve the dealer repair with a washer, etc. if it is still in warranty. So, if you have your canvas replaced, reading some of the posts on the forum – the dealer will replace the canvas using the method the factory used e.g. metal screws, which will, in most cases, fail prematurely. The dealer, unless the owner signs off, will only install the way the factory installed the canvas, due to the liability for the dealership. So, the owner shells out $2,400 plus to change out the canvases for maybe a one-year warranty – if it’s done the way the factory installed the canvas ----- so keep your old canvas to have plastic strip replaced, which will save you a lot of money – in most cases – the canvas is in great shape ($100 for each end plus shipping to change the plastic strip). Even with the cheaper cost of just changing the strip – the cost or time to remove and reinstall the canvas every couple or so years didn’t make sense. So --- Now, our research indicated most failures were happening to the canvas models from 2016-2019, so- what happened to 2020 and 2021? It appears Jayco stopped production of these type campers for 2022 – now this is the kicker that may make some folks upset – again, from our research – we have a copy of a drawing, Jayco came out with a different “in house design” in 2018, but it looks like it did not go on the production line until 2020. The new design does not use screws or drilled holes in the plastic strip – so why isn’t the dealers using the new design or giving the option to install the replacement canvas in the models from 2016-2019 – well, our dealer didn’t know anything about the design and they have to install “as original” – they have no part numbers etc. to order the parts to convert. So, we give the dealer the part numbers and ordered the parts for the Jayco new 2020 (2018) design we will install in our 2017 Jayco 19XUD – three weeks for delivery on parts– all our measurements indicate the new design will adopt to the older campers – we shall see--- our folks will install – we are an environmental (geoscience) firm, this should be fun - I have other information on the Jayco saga later – please, still need pictures of failures – Hope this helps folks - Thank you –
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Merrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 119
This is a known defect on the J-strip plastic part to all hybrids. One option is to remove screw at crack, put a washer there, and add a slightly longer screw with washer. JB Weld also works to repair plastic crack. Or you have to buy a new canvas and withe new plastic J-strip. It will crack again over time.
__________________
2017 Jay Feather 19XUD
2012 F-150 3.5L
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
This is a known defect on the J-strip plastic part to all hybrids. One option is to remove screw at crack, put a washer there, and add a slightly longer screw with washer. JB Weld also works to repair plastic crack. Or you have to buy a new canvas and withe new plastic J-strip. It will crack again over time.
Hi Merrick-just wondering if you have cracks in your J-strip? If so - can you post some pictures - Thank you
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: El Paso
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
This is a known defect on the J-strip plastic part to all hybrids. One option is to remove screw at crack, put a washer there, and add a slightly longer screw with washer. JB Weld also works to repair plastic crack. Or you have to buy a new canvas and withe new plastic J-strip. It will crack again over time.
Hi Merrick- must of the forums and other resources I referenced indicated the problem was not a defect with J-strip, J-lock or J-channel (J-Lock) plastic strip that is sewn onto the canvas for the premature failure of the strip (in some, if not most, cases-the plastic strip is fractured off the Jayco assembly line – I define as failure), it is the screws – in Jayco’s case, self-tapping screws along with over-torquing of those screws in most cases during factory installation (I cannot say all the Jayco hybrids – all I can say is a lot). There are drill bits made for drilling holes in plastic, not self-tapping screws, that will reduce the chance of a fracture in the plastic; however, as I have been advised on the installation by canvas shops, the J-Lock was not designed for a screw to be drilled or hole to be drilled into the plastic – the J-Lock has a flex factor, as it ages it will be less, but somewhat uniform throughout the strip, if the tension is uniform. What I have noticed on most pictures, the separation or cracks in the plastic is at the corners, where the screws have fractured the plastic in a small area- that is the damage which is not covered will continue to creep. Now, to repair the fracture or crack, in some cases a separation with a washer to stop the growth of the fracture or crack or close the separation - I have noticed that some dealers will drill a hole and place a washer, so that if there is a fracture in the plastic it is covered so it will not creep (some would have screws and washers – 6-inches etc. – crazy); however, this may cause more tension on the area of the threads where the plastic is sewn onto the canvas or shorten the flex of the plastic. My tension bar for the setup of the bunk was on the last adjustment, so I did not have a way to reduce the tension on the canvas (plastic strip) – so I fixed that problem – it was very tight before I shortened the outer part of the pole so it could be adjusted. Tension is a big factor in the fracture creep process (simple plastic mechanics-it is like a wave that runs in front of the fracture and moves forward - creep). Again, discussions with some of the canvas folks – the J-Lock should last for approximately 10 years before the strip needs to be replaced – but that also depends on some other factors like tension – it may last longer, exposure etc. Not all hybrids use J-Lock with a screw – Starcraft, which is under the same Thor group as Jayco, changed to the new trim over J-Lock design sometime in 2016-17 – Jayco had a design in 2018 that involved the trim over J-Lock using no screws – to my understanding – no holes in the J-Lock in the 2020-21 models. To upgrade my camper, I had to order from the 2020 model to get the trim over the J-Lock, still waiting on the shipment – haven’t heard anything (problems – but they haven’t been using this design long) on the newer design on Jayco, and on the Starcraft with their new design, which is the same as Jayco. For us with the pre-2020 installation involving the self-tapping screws; well------, we live with the washers, glue or whatever until it separates – leaks, etc. My plan is to install the new trim design to check the install – see if the tension is uniform or spread around the corners with the new trim covers and the new top & side trim to the J-Lock with a pinch on the J part to hold the strip in place, as to the drawing I acquired indicates. If all looks good, I will order the new J-Lock strip, since Jayco will not provide new tents (let the AG office handle that part), have a shop replace the plastic (I live in El Paso – tons of shops) – I would like this problem fixed to retain the value of the camper and reduce a possible surprise leak in the field - for folks that install a new strip or canvas – this maybe an option to drilling holes. I have depended on my own experience with my camper and my discussions with the service people at Jayco (very bad experience with these people-never again), dealers, canvas folks, and this forum and other forums. Hope this helps Thank you.
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crack, leak, sealant, tent

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.