Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #1

Question Leaving the Fridge on while travelling

Hi,
I just bought my first camping trailer. It's a hybrid 16 XRB and my question is: can I keep the fridge on while on the road (connected to propane)? The previous owner told me not to, but how are you supposed to store your food cold or frozen?
Thanks,
Sam
SmileySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySam View Post
Hi,
I just bought my first camping trailer. It's a hybrid 16 XRB and my question is: can I keep the fridge on while on the road (connected to propane)? The previous owner told me not to, but how are you supposed to store your food cold or frozen?
Thanks,
Sam
Yes...there are a few exceptions - fueling up and going through tunnels. However, am aware of people who do both anyway.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Sam
Differing opinions, but the majority do. I did for over 40 years.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...dge-95709.html
Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
differing opinions, but the majority do. I did for over 40 years.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...dge-95709.html
thank you
SmileySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Sam
Welcome! It is actually illegal in a few states so check your states laws but I've never heard of anyone getting fined for this. Only issues I can see you might have would be if you were involved in an accident where you were at fault. Could give an insurance company wiggle room if they were to find out. But that's a stretch.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #6

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!
Attached Images

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #7

Hey Smiley Sam,

As has been implied via prior responses, there's mixed opinions (and laws) on the matter. Rightly or wrongly, I fall into the camp where it seems logical that it's safer NOT to have a propane appliance burning while travelling.

Instead, the morning of (or night before) a camping trip, I just plug my trailer into the house (using a 30 amp to 120v converter), let it cool down for several hours (or overnight), then load it with food/drinks, and turn on the battery setting prior to departure. The battery doesn't cool the fridge down, but it will adequately maintain the coolness that was achieved by plugging in previously for a few hours. Just another solution to consider (plus, you'll save that propane for the campsite). Hope that helps.
Craig in Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #8

These refrigerators use so very little propane and can take a long time to cool down. Foolish to not keep it running traveling.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig in Alberta View Post
Hey Smiley Sam,

As has been implied via prior responses, there's mixed opinions (and laws) on the matter. Rightly or wrongly, I fall into the camp where it seems logical that it's safer NOT to have a propane appliance burning while travelling.

Instead, the morning of (or night before) a camping trip, I just plug my trailer into the house (using a 30 amp to 120v converter), let it cool down for several hours (or overnight), then load it with food/drinks, and turn on the battery setting prior to departure. The battery doesn't cool the fridge down, but it will adequately maintain the coolness that was achieved by plugging in previously for a few hours. Just another solution to consider (plus, you'll save that propane for the campsite). Hope that helps.
FWIW, burning your propane is the least of your worries—at least for me. We traveled 2,500 miles over three weeks, using the fridge on propane in between stops — some of it in 100* weather. In camp, we ran the furnace often, along with the stove and WH. Still used less than a single 5-gallon tank.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig in Alberta View Post
Hey Smiley Sam,

That usually only applies to pop-ups most trailers only have 120/LP not 120/12/LP
Old 08-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Sam
Use the search bar at the top of the page and you can read for several days on all of the previous posts on this.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
These refrigerators use so very little propane and can take a long time to cool down. Foolish to not keep it running traveling.
Yes totally agree.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:54 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Yes totally agree.
We cannot travel in this part of the country without the fridg on or we suffer spoiled food.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
We cannot travel in this part of the country without the fridg on or we suffer spoiled food.
Same here.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:37 PM   #15

For those who know more than I do...most of you . I thought that the trailers needs to be level within 3 degrees for the refrigerator to work properly. What am I missing, how can you keep it running while traveling. (I have a feeling this is going to be one of my "oh #$%#$% reactions.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
For those who know more than I do...most of you . I thought that the trailers needs to be level within 3 degrees for the refrigerator to work properly. What am I missing, how can you keep it running while traveling. (I have a feeling this is going to be one of my "oh #$%#$% reactions.
From my Norcold manual:

"Operation during travel:
While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually affected."

The motion created by traveling down the road is sufficient to keep things flowing without overheating the boiler in most cases. If you are stopped for any length of time then the leveling requirements should be paid attention to.

For added protection I would recommend installing an ARP Fridge Defend to monitor the boiler temperatures. The device will automatically turn off the fridge before any damage is done due to overheat and then turn it back on once the boiler temp is back to normal. This covers any usual driving conditions such as a very long and drawn out mountain pass or being stuck out of level (i.e. break-down on uneven terrain) where you might not be in a position to turn the fridge off or have forgotten about it while dealing with other issues.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #17

Thank you, and that is why I value this forum and the people using it. Interesting that that section is not in my manual.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #18

We've had RV's for over 50 years our first couple had Ice Boxes, then when they offered Gas/Elect Refers we got one and have traveled with it on ever sense.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
2019 Jayco Hummingbird 16 MRB
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #19

We've got over 50,000 miles on our 2017 16XRB. Refrig is always on. We like ice cream.

We would turn if off where prohibited by law but have not encountered that. We leave it on while fueling but always try to get the first pump on the outside island so the trailer is well away from the pumps.

We love our 16XRB - hope yours brings you lot of good times and great memories.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #20

We fill the fridge and cool off at home the day before. Don't bother keeping the fridge on while traveling. 4 to 5 hour trips it doesn't seem to warm up much.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote