Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #1

Leveling ramps recommendations?

Hey all,

A few of my 10 year old 2" x 12" treated leveling 'ramps' finally split on our last trip out, and I was looking to maybe get some plastic Andersen style ramps, but they do not look like they would fit between the wheels with how close they are on our x19h.

Do they work for you if you have a dual axle? Is there a better alternative, or should I just make some more 2x12's?

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

DigitalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #2

Andersen ramps are great, what I use on my single axle. So easy.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

You may be better off with the LEGO looking stack blocks. The wood is so heavy. The Andersen may not fit between you dual axles.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
You may be better off with the LEGO looking stack blocks. The wood is so heavy. The Andersen may not fit between you dual axles.
They can be trimmed according to Andersen package directions. We use them on our dual axle 212 QB but we did not have to trim them.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

I have the beach lane version of the Anderson levelers (they were $20 cheaper when I ordered)…. They work great, especially if you have the LevelMatePRO pro app/device.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #6

I bought the Camco version and they work great.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #7

I trimmed one of our Anderson levelers to fit between our tandem axels. They make levelling sooooo much easier.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #8

I bought the Andersen's many moons ago. I did trim one of them to fit between the tandems of my previous rig. The nose of them are solid, so trimming them back does not get into the "reduced weight section" and weaken them.

I've had nothing but a good experience with them... and they can be nested fairly well to take up minimal storage space when not in use.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
I have the beach lane version of the Anderson levelers (they were $20 cheaper when I ordered)…. They work great, especially if you have the LevelMatePRO pro app/device.
That LevelMatePro device looks amazing! I hate having to pack my bubble level, and my wife is, in her own words, spatially-challenged, so leveling has always been a guess-and-check situation involving me getting in and out of the truck multiple times.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Andersen ramps are great, what I use on my single axle. So easy.
If you have a single axle, then I highly recommend getting a BAL leveler. While more common for pop-up trailers, they should fit the bill for other single-axle trailers, too. Nothing is easier than this and I always wished that there was a similar lever-action device for double-axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
They can be trimmed according to Andersen package directions. We use them on our dual axle 212 QB but we did not have to trim them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I bought the Camco version and they work great.
I'm with TCNashville. I wasn't going to pay a premium for the Andersens only to have to take a band saw to it. My axles were way too close together to use Andersen Levelers out of the box, so I found a solution that worked: Camco's version is much shorter and fits in tighter quarters.

Either brand you choose, this was my choice for a simple leveling solution. Levels and chocks in one fell swoop. Just rock the trailer forward or backward a few inches to lift it up until it levels. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #11

Doesn't the BAL leveler have a weight limitation?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Doesn't the BAL leveler have a weight limitation?
I believe it's around 2,000 lbs, so that it would support a 4,000 lb trailer. Historically, single axle trailers are around the 3,500 lb GVWR range, though that could be changing in modern times ... I'm not sure.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
If you have a single axle, then I highly recommend getting a BAL leveler. While more common for pop-up trailers, they should fit the bill for other single-axle trailers, too. Nothing is easier than this and I always wished that there was a similar lever-action device for double-axles.

I'm with TCNashville. I wasn't going to pay a premium for the Andersens only to have to take a band saw to it. My axles were way too close together to use Andersen Levelers out of the box, so I found a solution that worked: Camco's version is much shorter and fits in tighter quarters.

Either brand you choose, this was my choice for a simple leveling solution. Levels and chocks in one fell swoop. Just rock the trailer forward or backward a few inches to lift it up until it levels. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.
We already had one set of Andersen levelers from a previous trailer and so got a second set. The first set has about 300 camping nights on it and has not broken or cracked . So we trusted its durability

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
We also use the Beach Lane levelers on our x19h, and they work perfectly. No issues with the space between the tires.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #15

The 19H is a dual axle Hybrid.

If you do not want to go with wood as your primary, I would consider the Anderson's and cut the tip off of both units. Pending on your camping style, I would still carry a few pieces of wood for those extreme sites.

https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...camper-leveler

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The 19H is a dual axle Hybrid.

If you do not want to go with wood as your primary, I would consider the Anderson's and cut the tip off of both units. Pending on your camping style, I would still carry a few pieces of wood for those extreme sites.

https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...camper-leveler
I suggest carrying wood blocks too - they come in handy at times. As a test after lifting my rig, I wanted to see if I could get a wheel off the ground to do a wheel change with just the gear I carry as well as make sure the new brake wiring runs were long enough for full suspension travel. It turns out, I don't need a rapid jack, as I carry a pair of levelers and some 3x5x12 blocks....
Attached Thumbnails
Stretching.jpg  
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
We also use the Beach Lane levelers on our x19h, and they work perfectly. No issues with the space between the tires.
I ended up ordering a set of the beach lane levelers, along with the LevelMatePro. After seeing how slick it is, I know I'd be kicking myself the next trip out if I didn't just pull the trigger on it. Thanks for the recommendation, and confirmation that the beach lane levelers fit without trimming on the 19h

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I suggest carrying wood blocks too - they come in handy at times. As a test after lifting my rig, I wanted to see if I could get a wheel off the ground to do a wheel change with just the gear I carry as well as make sure the new brake wiring runs were long enough for full suspension travel. It turns out, I don't need a rapid jack, as I carry a pair of levelers and some 3x5x12 blocks....
Thats a great idea!

Old 07-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #18

Another Andersen user, and yes they work fine on the X19-H with a bit of a trim. I like being able to dial in any offset height rather than having to guess how many legos high to go.

The only think I dislike is that they are a bit slippery on really smooth surfaces and can slide (probably worse with the small step once cut to length). I carry a pair of heavy rubber winter stair treads (looks like a flattened out tire tread, about 1/2" thick) to place underneath when required. The treads take up almost no space in the back of the truck.

I noticed that Andersen now sells their own mat, but it appears to be very thin in comparison to what I use.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #19

I bought EZ RV Leveler. They are shorter: https://www.amazon.com/EZ-RV-Leveler...494822&sr=8-54
...and they are less expensive. They work very well and fit easily between my tires.

Rather than additional lift on the downhill side, I prefer digging a hole for the tires on the uphill side. I bring a pick-mattock to do the work: https://www.amazon.com/Truper-32655-...7495020&sr=8-6
This makes short work of digging a hole for tires, prepping an impromptu horseshoe pit, cutting stairs into a bank, and so on.
Obviously, you shouldn't be digging holes in "paved" (stone, etc.) parking pads, but an RV park with severe left/right slope on a pad isn't much of an RV park. Where the hole comes in most handy is boondocking or dispersed camping on primitive sites...especially lakeside sites.

My primary concern is that stability becomes an issue when one side of the RV is way up in the sky. There are a number of threads describing incidents where rigs fell off these stilts. Everything gets pretty stretched out...from the tongue jack to the stab jacks to the stairs, and all those stacks of plastic blocks have to work harder than they should to hold you up there.

One other valuable addition to "lifted" stability is X-Chocks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These don't replace good wheel chocks, but they add a lot of fore-and-aft stability.

I enhanced my EZ RV Leveler kit by adding two pieces of 3/4" exterior plywood measuring 12" x 24", and I replaced the thin rubber membrane with rubber pads made from truck mud flaps (about $35 at O'Reilly's and other auto parts stores.) The plywood prevents the cam-shaped levelers from sinking into soft soil, the mud flap strips provide grip between the wood and the leveler, and the combo adds about 1" of additional lift. Works great, and there's no risk of plywood splitting.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #20

I have two sets of Andersen levelers. I've cracked the wedge but they still work great.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote