Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #21

After you get the pilot lit and the burner runs, if you shut it down for 10-15 minutes does it still take a long time to relight? The long lighters with an adjustable flame turned up high work best for me. The pilot usually sputtered a little at first but holding down the knob or button helps get it going.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
Okay, I'll say it again! I did light the stove 1st.

As I asked before, should I also start the heater and gas fridge to before attempting to light the Water Heater?
It all depends on your model trailer and where the propane appliances are located. All you're trying to do by lighting them is get as much air out of the gas lines as possible. Even so, the branch line that goes to your water heater will still have air in it. That air has to get out the pilot before any gas comes out.

You would think you only get air in the gas lines when hooking a new tank up, but somehow it happens in between my camping trips by just shutting off the valves at the tank. It will take maybe 15 seconds before I start getting gas out my kitchen stove every trip.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #23

I haven't tried to run my fridge on gas yet. Is this going to be a problem also?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #24

Don't think I would call it a problem, but your frig may take several cycles until gas gets to its burner. Just part of the camping experience. At least the frig will automatically try maybe 4 or 5 times. You can hear the spark clicking. Then it probably won't try again for 20-30 minutes. Normally you can avoid the 20-30 minute wait by turning the frig off for a few seconds. Then it will try again right away. Just another reason to run your stove and/or furnace to get as much air out of the gas line as possible.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote