Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

looked at x23b yesterday

i felt i had to post my observations of the new x23b. i have a x17z i bought new in 2012 and want to upgrade to 23b since the family has grown. well i went to a dealer open house in pa. yesterday and looked at more than one 23b. what i found was: drip rails along top or bunk ends on outside of body not properly installed with screws that were falling out causing rail to pull away from body. poor exterior calking on all body joints. plastic awning end covering motor missing. rubber trim inserts around exterior windows cut short of fitting under corner braces. corner trim pieces on the slide out exterior misaligned and then screwed in. on the interior i found loose and falling out staples and nails on trim and woodwork. misaligned trim in the bathroom. shower head holder fell off the wall due to only being held on with double sided tape. there is a wiring harness coming through the wall along side the sofa that looks like somebody used a large screwdriver and a hammer to make the hole. along the ceiling there is a molding above the slide that had a 1/3 inch gap because they pieced it together instead of using a full length of wood trim. the wood trim around the slide had a screw tip piercing through it from a screw that was installed from behind. there were many chips and gouged wood thruout the interior. now IMHO it appears to me that assembly was a rush job and there was not much quality control going on after assembly! i was ready to make a deal to purchase but changed my mind after inspection. my 2012 17z shows none of these issues and i still love the camper so i think i will stick with her a little longer.
BILLHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

We have a 2017 X23B and haven't seen these kinds of issues. So, I wonder if the demand has QC in that bad of shape for the 18's?

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

x23b

all i am saying is a buyer should look at there unit with a keen eye for everything before signing on the dotted line!!!
BILLHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

I've had no issues with my 2015 X23B. This area of the TT requires most of my attention since this is where most issues may occur. Thanks for the review. Jayco usually has good quality.
rdcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

We've got a 2013 x17z that we bought used 1.5 years ago. After hearing all of these QC problems, I'm thinking used is the way to go, so long as you can get a camper that was treated well. If you get a camper that's a few years old, the original owner has already worked out all of the QC problems!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

I would think a good dealer that performs a pre-pick up walk thru would find most or all of these. My dealer found a defect in the front bunk of my 19XUD before we took delivery. He called me 4 days prior to pickup and explained it all. The bunk itself was water proof, but they ordered new canvas regardless. I took it home, went camping and brought it back when the new canvas was in. They replaced it and the table top, no issues.
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #7

Upgraded from X17z to a lightly used Starcraft 229tb. None of the issues you listed are present. Also prefer the lighter weight and simplicity of not slidout as well as the large U shaped dinette. Something to consider. Starcraft is owned by Jayco and is identical.
Bluedogger is offline   Reply With Quote