Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

Looking at a 2013 X17Z (newbie questions, first RV)

Hi there, we are going to look at a 2013 Jayco X17Z for our first RV. Asking price is $6000. Says "Loaded and in excellent condition". We like the small size and weight. I am handy with cars, and 10+ years ago had a boat (small cruiser) with some of the same amenities (water tanks, bath, AC power), but I am not experienced with RVs
- yet! Questions:

Is this a good / quality RV?

Are there known issues with this model?

What should I look for?

What questions should I ask the seller?

Do issues creep up at this age? What issues would I expect to encounter as it ages further in the next few years? (i.e., is this too old, should we spend a little more on a newer one?)

Is this a good price?

I have a honda pilot rated at 4500lbs.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time!
psonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

The only advice I can give is look for any signs of water wavy panels discolored panels ect. Water Is enemy number one.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Check along the top of the tent ends where it connects to the trailer. They can leak there. Trailer gross weight is 3500 lbs and tongue weight is 405 lbs. You will need a brake controller and 7 pin connector. Just remember that the cargo and passengers will reduce your vehicle’s tow rating too
Old 03-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #4

Your tow vehicle appears to be at least at the very upper end of it's towing ability. You need to consider this closely. This trailer has a dry or unloaded weight of about 2800 lbs and 3500 max weight. The max amount of cargo weight you can bring it the trailer is 700 lbs in cargo. If you are at max weight with the trailer you could only carry another 500 lbs in the Pilot before it's also maxed out. That would include weight of each person and every thing in the car. Another aspect for your consideration is tongue weight that your pilot can handle. The trailer is going to be about 350 to 400 lbs tongue weight. Your vehicle needs to exceed this tongue weight capacity. To tow that camper I would say the tow vehicle would need to be rated to a minimum of 500 lbs tongue weight. As far as to what I would suggest you look for on any used trailer most importantly would be for any signs there has been any water damage. Water is the primary killer of all campers
and maybe the most expensive damage to repair, if it is even repairable. You can google trailer inspection check lists, there are many very good lists of all the things that should be included in such an inspection. Good luck to you.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Every reply posted so far is absolutely true. I'll add that I've have a 2013 x17z for more than three years, and other than some quirkiness with the furnace lately, it's been a fantastic camper. You really should consider your tow vehicle, though. I use a 2015 Pathfinder that's rated at 5,000 lbs. towing. It does well with the x17z, but I do feel like I'm pushing it a little at times, particularly when every member of the family is in the tow vehicle, and their gear is all packed in. One way you could absolutely get away with using your current vehicle is to take two cars when you go camping, and put some of the gear in the second car. That's doable if you're planning only to do local-ish trips. We do it sometimes so we can bring extra things I'd normally nix for weight purposes.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

One more thing -- when we bought our x17z, it was our first camper as well. When shopping, I brought along a buddy of mine who has owned several campers. He talked me out of a larger camper that I wanted, because I would have had trouble towing it. Looking back now, it was one of the biggest favors he ever did for me.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:19 AM   #7

We had a X17Z but recently upgraded to a 2019 X23b for the extra room from the slide out. The X17z was our first trailer and we loved it but as we became more seasoned campers we knew we wanted some more space inside for rainy days. We originally towed the X17z with a Grand Cherokee then moved up to a Ram 1500 because it was a lot easier to throw all of the dirty items into the bed of the truck. But this year the Ram is gone and a Durango RT is in as a tow vehicle because it’s easier on our dog for long trips (65lbs dog). Just review all vehicle specs, visit a scale and most important just use common sense and drive safely. Take your time no reason to speed.
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #8

Welcome Aboard! I do not believe there are any concerns with this model TT, other than the lack of storage, and low Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC). Think about where you will put your stuff.

At 7 years old, if it has been maintained it should be a good TT. At 10 years old they all can start have issues, but a lot has to due with maintenance. #1 thing to be on the look out for is any signs of water. If the owner will let you, inspect the roof caulking for cracks. It is normal for it to blister and crack, and it is normal to just apply a little more self leveling caulk over the cracks. The caulking may not be pretty, it will be soft and should be crack free. Check the bunk ends. It is normal for the cheap plastic retainers to crack in the corners, and the tent ends to pull back a little. It is a common repair to apply a few additional screws in the retainer to pull it back up.

Back to water, check all corners inside for softness.

If it has been well maintained it will be a great TT. If not, there will be water issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Quick question - are the exterior panels on these Jayco hybrids aluminum or fiberglass? Asking because I was wondering about the lighting protection? I'm thinking a metal exterior (or possibly even frame) would mean it should offer protection similar to a car/truck? (i.e., it would function like a Faraday cage)

Also thanks for all the great feedback so far guys. I am soaking it all in and learning
Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #10

I would recommend the Andersen hitch for this combination as you are very near your max weight as it sits.
Check your car and hitch and make sure it is approved for use with a WDH. Also make sure you have the proper towing setup from the factory. Watch your speeds and engine/transmission temps until you are sure your car can pull the rig without overheating. Some cars have tow weights and frontal surface limits. You may be exceeding it and this means your car is not meant to pull that much load through the wind.
Without upgrading your tow you won't be able to add much for dry camping like extra battery capacity, dual lp tanks, etc.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback. My 2011 Pilot 4x4 has a tow rating of 4500 and 450 on the tongue. It is equipped with the tow package (trans cooler, etc.). I thought the x17z weighed in at about 2800 with a GVWR of 3500? We have a bit of headroom, no?

I have have been reading of other Pilot owners towing this with success. FWIW we will be on relatively flat roads, not mountains.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #12

Yeah - you guys are correct. 4500 / 450 limits apply to a near empty pilot only. Time to regroup and think this through

Maximum Total Trailer Weight Maximum Tongue Load

4WD models - Towing a Trailer

Total Trailer Weight and Tongue Load Limits:

Number of Occupants

Total Trailer Weight

4,500 lbs (2,041 kg)
4,300 lbs (1,950 kg)
4,100 lbs (1,860 kg)
4,000 lbs (1,814 kg)
3,800 lbs (1,724 kg)

Tongue Load Limits:

450 lbs (204 kg)
400 lbs (181 kg)
330 lbs (150 kg)
270 lbs (122 kg)
190 lbs (86 kg)

The corresponding weight limits assume occupants fill seats from the front of the vehicle to the back, each occupant weighs 150 lbs (68
kg), and each has 15 lbs (7 kg) of cargo in the cargo area. Any additional weight, including cargo or accessories, reduces the maximum
trailer weight and maximum tongue load. Never exceed the gross axle weight rating