Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Looking for heater recommendations

We are going camping quite a bit in cooler temps, and in lieu of running the propane heater all night, I would like some suggestions for a good, small electric heater for my Jayco X17Z.

I am also considering getting some heated mattress pads. Does anyone have any experience with these, and/or manufacturers you have been happy with.

Thanks in advance!
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

As far as the small electric space heaters are concerned I bought the dimensionally smallest one I could find...I think it's a Holmes bought at Menard's. It's a "ceramic" heater 750-1500 watt with a thermostat that isn't very accurate. Paid less than $20 for it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

I would ask first if you're doing what you can to keep the heat you have inside more effectively. PUGs (pop up gizmos) and Reflectix in the windows will do wonders for you if you're not already doing so.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Team

I bought a small ceramic heater at Walmart, around 20 bucks and have used it 2 seasons now. Two heat settings and the just fan setting. Unless its really cold and windy it pretty much takes the propane heater out of the picture. I think its a Sunbeam.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

We have a Honeywell 900/1500w heater that does a nice job of heating the 23B. We use the PUG's to help out with a little insulation. I set the thermostat to about 55-60deg at night and we've been comfortable into the upper 20's. I kick the temp up when I get up to use the head if I figure we're within an hour of the Bride's getting up. We sleep under a down comforter and are quite content. Haven't bothered to turn the furnace on the last couple of cold nights we have been out. Think I bought it at Target or maybe WallyWorld.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	10710

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

We also use a small ceramic heater. It is just a tiny little cube. It is probably 35 years old, and we store it in the original box to keep it safe, between uses. At night it is on the floor in front of the stove, as heat rises. During the day we keep it on the stove. We have a little 12volt fan that plugs into the 12V Aux power point at the television and aim it to blow over the top of the heater, to help spread the heat.

We have two Sunbeam heat mattress pads, with dual controllers. They are way hotter than whatever one we have in the house.

We have been out when it is in the low 20’s with no issues, and the HTT is in the low to mid 60’s with this setup and the furnace is turned off. In the morning I will turn on the furnace to bring the temps up, and it helps to warm the floors a bit too.

If you need a little extra power, you can bring in a heavy duty extension cord into the HTT through the opening in the bunk. With our 23B, I slip it in through the slide out drive mechanism.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #7

Without question, the best heater we've ever had for our trailer is the oil filled variety. It's absolutely silent, with no blower fan or moving parts and it generates plenty of heat to keep warm. We actually had to down size to the smallest model and keep it on low to medium, so it wouldn't get too warm in the trailer. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/bion...-heater/960190
You won't be sorry, with one of these. The only caution is that they are hot to the touch, so if you have little ones, you'll need to be careful.

We use popup gizmos, which remarkably keep condensation from forming on the inside of the canvas. Highly recommend!! Here's the link: http://www.popupgizmos.com/

We also purchased the heated mattress pads from Jayco and my wife won't camp in cold weather without them now. And if she's happy, I'm happy. :-)
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

We use the low profile OIL-FILLED electric heater here in our off-road POPUP setup. Since there is only two of us we use the other tent bed for day storage and catch all items. We setup one oil-filled heater on a board in the back of the tent bed area. We sit one of those O-2COOL ac/dc 10-inch fans behind it to move some heated air around the trailer. The other oil-filled electric heater usually sits in the hall next to the access door. All nice and comfortable in our trailer setup.

The OIL-FILLED heater is our choice for its inherent safety... There is no open flame or red hot core, no noise (Just goes click every now and then), no burnt dust smell, and has two heat zones and built-in termostat. We usually set both of ours to the middle #3 setting. We also use a external extension cord plugged into the CG 20AMP Pedestal 120VAC connection.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The propane furnace blower is just way to loud for us to use and puts out way too much heat for us... We also would rather use the CG electric verses our propane anyway... We usually set the propane furnace to a very low 40 degree setting for a PLAN B back-up source of heat.

We too use a heated blanket for the bed. Wife also likes to sit around the trailer watching HDTV with a electric blanket on her lap...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

We also use a ceramic heater purchased from Wally World for under $20 in our WhiteHawk. I set it on the kitchen counter and let it do its thing. Amazing how that little bugger actually keeps the entire trailer warm enough for us. To be fair we've used it in upper 30-40 degree night time temps which isn't exactly cold, but is to this Floridian! And, with the fan in the kitchen, the fan noise is barely noticeable.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

I picked up one of these last spring, it was marked down to $30, darn thing made it to hot in there had to adjust the temp Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	10735
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote