Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Looking to buy 2014 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 23B

Hey guys...
I'm looking to upgrade from our current 2006 Fleetwood Niagara (highwall popup) to a hybrid.

I really like the floorplan and specs (weight, length, etc) of the 23B models. I wanted to know more people here if there's anything I need to watch out for in these models (known issues, known temperments, tsb, etc).

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
dbbyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Make sure to check for any water intrusionaround the bunk ends. The floor is also another thing to check diligently, when we were looking for ours we ran into quite a few with soft floors. We learned that they suffer from a lack of cross braces and have large spans betwen braces. The floor may seem soft but is actually not damaged. Im a big guy so it more noticable to me when i walk across the floor. Im very happy with ours espicall with it being 12 years old. Be thurough with your inspection before you buy, good luck!
Midwest5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

Always check for water leaks on any camper. I looked at a 2014 and the front bunk area was damaged. Also note that there where changes over the years in design. Example is a 2012 has a flat roof and 13 and up have truss roof. Some years had a shower insert wall others did not. There is an update on the bunk end where there are slightly curved in the middle to prevent leaks while closed.
Do not get the leather interior, they peel. AC unit slightly loud, mattresses need a topper. I have been on over a dozen trips this past 18 months and had no issues. See link below on the 2016 he tells you about the bunk end change. Overall I love my 2016. Good luck with your search.

https://youtu.be/an847FyQ6Kg

1996 Jayco 1007 (sold)

2016 Jayco X23B
Krazyboutcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #4

edit; just noticed this was an older post from September.

I have a 2012 X23B, and we love it. I have modified our in a number of places to make it even better.

As others have said, no mater what TT, your looking at, keep a close eye out for water intrusion. If you can inspect the roof. The caulking should look good. A 2014 will need to be touched up every year now, if it still uses caulking. So do not be surprised by what looks like a whole bunch of little touchups. If it has been redone with eternabond, excellent.

Side walls joints and and marker lights will leak too. If you see moisture in a lens cover, it is a good sign water has gotten into the TT through the hole for the wiring.

Side walls, are easy to check, the caulking may start to fail there too now. Usually not as bad, except around things like holes for WH, outlets, speakers, etc.

The #1 thing to look at is the front bunk. When you open it, you will see on the inside a plastic trim piece, with screws that hold it to the hard frame. This trim is known to crack and pull away from the metal frame. When this happens, it can allow water to enter the TT, while the bunks are open. Most people need to add a few extra screws and washers to pull the tent back into place. You cannot just replace the plastic trim, it is sewn into the tent fabric. There should be no silicone caulking here. Silicone caulking should never be used, so keep it that way!

Some people have complained about soft floors (no matter the TT), so keep an eye out, it should not be soft. If the previous owner used the shower, there could be a lot of water leakage for the small shower onto the floor, so keep a close eye out of possible water damage, look inside the cabinets and around for signs of water.

We really do enjoy or 23B. It has a lot of storage area and counter top space, compared to most rigs it's size.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Great feedback - its exactly what I'm looking for. I have a highwall popup now and water leaks/damage was also number one priority when I was shopping for that. Good to hear owners of the X23 happy with theirs. I'm still looking for one that's priced well (and within proximity).
dbbyleo is offline   Reply With Quote