Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

looking to buy and found leak?

looking at a 2005 23B and at the hinge of the front bed the wood feels "spongy" at locations and up to 4 inches from hinge. No delamination inside or out. Is this an easy fix? looks like a little caulking will fix the leak but not sure how big a job to fix the wood. Is it two pieces and could just replace a strip of one? Rest of camper looks great. if i hadn't pushed on the bed i wouldn't have noticed. Avoid or get if good deal?
Thanks!
therk320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Avoid
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Not a deal beaker IMO, but make sure you understand what you're getting into. I'd be wary myself, but it may be an opportunity to gain some sweat equity, as long as your willing to put in the sweat. Buyer beware.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Avoid x2
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

I can promise you that the wood between the leak and the spot you found is also rotted and needs to be replaced. The rot could quite easily go even further down towards the floor.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a camper that I knew had a leak unless I was STEALING it. Its one thing if you already own the camper and want to try to salvage it. Its another thing to pay good money for something that you KNOW will be a nightmare.

I speak from experience here... chasing down leaks is a never ending game in an RV. A small leak in one corner can send a lot of water all over the place. Hunting down the damage is a task in and of itself. Then trying to FIX all the damage is another struggle.

With the time, effort and money you will have invested in fixing this camper it had better be worth it. For me, I have a camper so that the family and I can go out and have fun. I have enough chores to do that get in the way of camping as it is!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #6

The main reason for buying is to reduce the chores required to go camping and packing up when done. I could probably get for $5,500 which is by no means a steal. I will keep on looking.....
therk320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

My son bought a used 5th wheeler that had just had the roof replaced for about $7,000 worth of documented repairs. I tried to talk him out of it because if the roof has been leaking for some time, the repairs don't stop with the roof. He thought he was getting a steal and bought it anyway. Brought it up to my place for hunting and I took a walk through. Spongy floor in several corners and lower wall also. We had a lot of rain in Georgia last year while his camper was sitting here. He finally came and got it and took it home. Started pulling out rotted areas and wound up tearing out just about rear 1/4 of unit. Fortunately he is very handy so with help of neighbor rebuilt unit and put in new flooring throughout. As a result, he has about $15,000 in a trailer that is worth about $5,000 in my opinion. Had to fix it to try and recoup some of his money as he could never sell it. But, it will make a fine hunting camp for many years to come, hopefully.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23b front bunk leak