Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

Low water drains

Starting to think about winterizing our 2014 X23B. From what I've read I need to drain the lines at the low water drains. At first look, the only one I can find looks like it drains the fresh water tank. Is this the only one or should I look closer? Since this will be the fist time winterizing I really don't want to screw it up.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

Looks like your on the right track all you have to do is drain the fresh water tank...... Once you start to pump antifreeze in your lines that will get rid if the rest of the water in your lines. Also remember to drain your water heater by removing the plastic nut on it....good luck.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #3

There are at least two more drain points. They are usually labeled "Low Point Drain" on the trailer. Look under the trailer all the way around. You should be able to see a pair of drain tubes sticking out. They are usually red and blue but could be white. The valve for these are typically located in a storage compartment just above the drain tube. The valves could be the turn or pull to open type. You should drain these prior to anti freeze being pumped in. The water near these valve will not get the antifreeze because there is usually no water flow at these valves. Be sure to position the water heater bypass valves before starting wintering.

Open the low point drains and the all faucets inside the camper. Drain the water heater by removing the drain plug. Close the low point drains and close the valve between the water pump and the fresh water tank. Open the valve from the antifreeze suction line and the pump. Place the suction tube into the antifreeze container and turn on the water pump. As antifreeze comes out of each faucet close it. Turn off the pump and close the suction line valve.

Yes, it is a detailed process and may seem daunting. Think about each step and what it accomplishes. Next year it will be a little easier. Hope this helped you.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

Low water drains

DO NOT forget your outside shower. People sometimes miss this step.
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

There are a few ways to do it. There are two additional low point drains within the 23B. I recommend removing the water from within the pipes and the water heater before adding any antifreeze as I do not dilute the antifreeze.

In the bathroom sink cabinet on the floor level there is a false panel with a small access hole, reach in and lift the two stopper plugs, one is for the cold water and the other is for the hot water lines. Then open the various facets to drain the water from the lines (don’t forget the toilet valve and the outside shower). You need to make sure the water heater is drained too. On the water heater remove the outside plastic drain plug and then pull the lever on the pressure relief, this will help the water drain faster. While it is draining go inside and open the cabinet that has the water heater in it. Most likely you will need a #2 square drive screw driver to remove the plywood panel (bench seat). I do not recommend reinstalling the screw when you are done. There are three valves, make sure all three valves are open, momentarily. This will drain the water that is trapped in the top of the bypass valve. Once the water stops draining out of the various drain ports you can now get ready to winterize the system. Make sure that you also have drained the grey and black water tanks good the last time you were out or do it at home, the drain valves can be damaged from freezing too. At home before antifreezing the system I place a small bucket under the waste drain and open it up just to make sure the tanks are empty (you never know when the DW or a kid used a sink or the toilet). Usually I do not get more than a little bit of sewer water. I believe this is a step most people do not do.

You do NOT add any antifreeze to the water heater. So ensure the bypass valve is left open and close the two valves that go to the water heater tank. Leave the bypass valve open. Close the low point valve plugs that are in the bathroom. Close the facets. You are now almost ready to winterize.

Under the frig is the pump, you will notice a clear plastic tube, that tube is how you get the antifreeze into the system. Follow the tube back to the pump, there are a couple of valves. They both need to be turned. One will close off the hose to the water tank, and the other will open the valve to the antifreeze fill line. Place the hose in your open antifreeze container. Turn on the pump, and start filling the system. Do NOT forget the outside shower or the toilet. If you pre drain the system you will need about a gallon of antifreeze for the 23B. Make sure you add antifreeze to each sink and shower trap, so those traps do not freeze and crack. The antifreeze in theory does not evaporate, but as a precaution I then add a couple of teaspoons of mineral oil to each drain to ensure that the antifreeze does not evaporate.

One last thing I recommend when you are cleaning up. It is kind of difficult to do, and you will want a couple of paper towels. But reach back to the pump and remove the filter screen. In the house rinse it out, and reinstall it. I have had one crack on me one winter, so I like to ensure there is no major amount of antifreeze in the filter screen housing.

Another option or method many people will do as part of the antifreeze procedure is to use compressed air to blow out the lines. If you chose to do this turn the pressure regulator way down, so you do not damage the fittings.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

Since we camp all year we just heat the camper in the winter for it's short periods of non-use (could be 4 weeks). What we do is drain the hot water heater, drain the fresh water tank, open the low point drains, open all faucets, open the waste drains, and then just run electric space heaters in the camper. That takes 10 minutes. As soon as outside shower season ends I remove the shower head and lines and stuff insulation in the pocket then close and lock the door. It stays that way until somoene asks for it to be hooked back up. This is in NC so don't take this idea for your state, it works here. I advise you to ask experienced campers in your local to see what they do and what works for them.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies. I would have never looked under the bathroom cabinet for drains. Just shows how much a newbie needs to learn how the builders hide things. Looks like we have time for two more trips, the last in late October, then I will give it a go.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #8

I removed that bathroom false panel. It is now where we store our toilet chemicals, cleaners,etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7300.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	9905

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote