Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Maiden voyage today, finally!!!

We will be going to the campsite this afternoon through the weekend. Ironically, the only weekend in May I had open to reserve for camping will be the lowest in temps and wet. It will certainly be an adventure.

Just hope I remember to do everything in order. *Chock the wheels before unhooking from truck*, *make sure low point drains are closed before filling tank with water*, etc. De-winterizing for the first time on Saturday was a big learning experience - I had gotten so frustrated that I had bitten off more than I could chew that I threatened to sell it on craigslist. All good now thanks to the invaluable info on the forum! My X17Z wasn't the plug and play model, lol. I needed a screwdriver to take the board off under the dinette to change the valves from winterizing tube.

Hopefully once we get to the campground and open it up, let the dogs in, it will start to feel like mine!
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure it will be a great experience, even with the cool weather this weekend.

What CG are you going to?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Fort Custer - I wanted to go some place close by for the first outing.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've never camped there before. If you think of it, take some pics of your campsite and general campground area.

If you haven't yet, consider joining JOF's social group "Michigan Campers and Campgrounds" and start a new review/pics thread on Fort Custer Recreation Area.

Click on "Community" at the top of the JOF home page, drop down window "Social Groups", then "Michigan Campers and Campgrounds".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Make a short list before you hook up to leave and follow it. I remember our first outing after the initial shake down several years ago. Somehow when I stepped out of the van at the campground I lost all focus and must have looked like a spaniel chasing squirrels. It all got done and no animals were injured but the neighbors were entertained. The distance to the electric and water was my most visible DA moment . . . Make sure your hose n cord reach before leveling, chocking and un-hooking. Me, I had the awning out and was pulling coolers from the van before it occurred to me.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #6

We went out our first time ever camping this last weekend. It was so much fun!!! It was cool at night but nice during the days. I have created check lists to follow for set up and tear down. Worked really good and for a first timer we had absolutely no problems everything went smoothly. Enjoy your weekend!!!!!

2002 Jayco Eagle SE 304bh
crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Congrats!
I remember with my popup (first trailer ever!) and then the 16XRB I got in February...there are times when it is so frustrating!!! And I am always by myself when camping. But push through those times because the good times will totally erase the urge to sell as soon as you get home after a frustrating episode. It is all part of learning and trust me, every new TT owner has had to go through trials and tribulations of TT ownership when they/we first began. You're doing great! You'll soon settle into a comfortable routine that will give way to utter joy of ownership.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Tokensmom,

Sounds like you had the same "de-winterizing" experience I had. Yes, the good folks here came to my rescue, too. It was pretty cold @ Mitchell SP three weeks ago during the maiden voyage with my Eagle. But stayed toasty warm inside, and everything turned out great. Fortunately, this time of year, there aren't 10 trailers in line behind you while you're trying to back your new trailer into it's first campsite. I find that's when I forget things and start making mistakes. So just take your time, and don't let anything rush you. You'll do just fine.

Do post some pics of your trip to Ft. Custer. I've been wanting to go there, as well.

Happy Camping!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #9

we went on maiden voyage this weekend with our 338 rets and as usual with a maiden voyage it rained over 2 inches over the weekend ... camper stayed dry and other than an issue with the waterpump sucking air into the system which i had to drop underpinning to find a loose clamp on watertank it went great
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0854.jpg  
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokensmom View Post
Just hope I remember to do everything in order. *Chock the wheels before unhooking from truck*, *make sure low point drains are closed before filling tank with water*, etc. De-winterizing for the first time on Saturday was a big learning experience - I had gotten so frustrated that I had bitten off more than I could chew that I threatened to sell it on craigslist. All good now thanks to the invaluable info on the forum!
Sounds like you've thought it through....now let it happen and relax!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

We had a wonderful time. Slept comfortably using the furnace. Definitely will extend my camping seasons. So nice to have a bathroom and hot water. That cup of coffee sitting in the warm trailer that first morning with my mom and the dogs was priceless. Can't wait until the next trip Father's Day weekend down to Waffle Farms.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Tokensmom,

Sounds like you had the same "de-winterizing" experience I had. Yes, the good folks here came to my rescue, too. It was pretty cold @ Mitchell SP three weeks ago during the maiden voyage with my Eagle. But stayed toasty warm inside, and everything turned out great. Fortunately, this time of year, there aren't 10 trailers in line behind you while you're trying to back your new trailer into it's first campsite. I find that's when I forget things and start making mistakes. So just take your time, and don't let anything rush you. You'll do just fine.

Do post some pics of your trip to Ft. Custer. I've been wanting to go there, as well.

Happy Camping!
Hi Brownie -

Unfortunately I didn't get pics. I did see when I made the reservations online that they have pics of the sites now. We like Fort Custer as the have some nice spots with nature separating sites providing some privacy. They also have sites that are great for groups such as the ones we had this weekend (sites 126 and 128).

I was disappointed that they cut down a lot of trees. Not sure why.

Have you been out to Indian Valley in Middleville? Thinking about checking them out in July.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

Haven't been to Indian Valley, but have seen the sign from M-37. I've only camped at State Parks and State Rec. Areas so far - unless you count 2-1/2 weeks in my sister's driveway while redecorating her bathroom .

Lots of trees being cut down all over the state due to Emerald Ash Borer . . . even in the interstate rest areas. They were cutting down trees like crazy while I was at Mitchell last month. A lot of the trees died a year or two ago, so they're already dry enough to use as free fire wood. Was able to use some while staying at Sleepy Hollow last year. Unfortunately, it will take a long time before the replacements grow big enough to provide us with shade.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new rig. Happy Camping!