Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

2016 Jayco X23B

Just got home from camping and was disconnecting from tow vehicle and all of a sudden nothing is working off 12vdc (everything works fine off 120vac shore power), battery is fine with correct voltage and polarity. Did not have any issues during our trip, so kind of confused as to what happened.
Checked all the fuses (with meter) in the power distribution center and all are fine but I can't fine the inline 30A fuse near the battery. I've traced the wiring from the battery along the tongue chassis up to where the wire enters the enclosed underbelly. I assume it's between the floor and the underbelly....can anyone confirm the location? Thanks
Jayco x23b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Some of the newer RV units from 2012 and up has a circuit breaker in-line close to the battery instead of an in-line fuse... The circuit breaker would be installed close to the battery terminal and should have an reset lever...

Also does your setup have an DISCONNECT switch for the batteries...

Did you also check the two large value fuses labeled REVERSE POLARITY on your 12VDC fuse panel...

You would think it has to be something associated with your disconnecting of the cables...

I have even seen battery terminals lose connections between the post and the outside terminal. Using a DC Voltmeter from post to post first then terminal to terminal to see if you still have the 12VDC...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	27572The newer campers have an auto reset circuit breaker, it is usually located inside the camper, you will have to trace the wire path the best you can to figure where power enters the trailer. Most will reset by themselves but sometimes not and have to be replaced. This is what it looks like.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #4

Roy,

I did check the two reverse polarity fuses and they were ok. Both battery posts were good and tight. I'm not sure about the battery disconnect switch...we have only had this TT about a week now, so still learning what all it has.

Weird fact...
My electric tongue jack worked for about 2 seconds then stopped and I noticed nothing was working on 12vdc. I then tried to start the truck and it just locked up and would not do anything except make an aweful grinding type noise - the motor would not start. I couldn't even turn it off until I unplugged the trailer wire harness. Halloween came a couple weeks early for me!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Sundancer,
I will check for that. Hopefully it will be easy to locate. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco x23b View Post
Roy,

I did check the two reverse polarity fuses and they were ok. Both battery posts were good and tight. I'm not sure about the battery disconnect switch...we have only had this TT about a week now, so still learning what all it has.

Weird fact...
My electric tongue jack worked for about 2 seconds then stopped and I noticed nothing was working on 12vdc. I then tried to start the truck and it just locked up and would not do anything except make an aweful grinding type noise - the motor would not start. I couldn't even turn it off until I unplugged the trailer wire harness. Halloween came a couple weeks early for me!
That sounds pretty common, the tongue jack's only protection is the main fuse, and they will often blow if the jack is at all "stressed" (run to max or min extension, for example, or lifting TT and TV while hitched). I doubt you have a auto reset breaker on an HTT, but it is possible. Thought those were generally on the larger trailers. You also shouldn't have a battery cutoff switch on the 23B; also generally for the higher line trailers.
I do know that some of the HTTs now have the main fuse inside the front compartment out of the elements. Check where your harness enters inside under the front main dinette, in the storage area. Could very well be located there.
ETA - there is a post from earlier this year in this forum with a picture of the location - do a quick search.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Was wrong about the picture, but right about the location. Here is the thread from another 2016 X23B with the location of their main fuse...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...23b-37951.html
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

Definitely the jack popping the fuse. Be careful to not run it past full up or full down, that's when I would pop mine. Went through a few fuses then just spliced in the auto reset breaker. I also marked the jack tube so I can see when I'm about to be fully extended and stop before I get there.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Found the blown fuse...under front dinette, which is next to the large dinette drawer on this model. Definitely going to replace this with an auto breaker cause I can see this happening again. Thanks everyone for the help...this is our first TT so we are learning.