Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Mattress Options?

Hey all,

We just returned from looking at a 2016 x19h. Everything I have read about how horrible the mattresses are in these things held true. I mean holy cow are they bad! Our 18 year old Kiwi still has better mattresses than these.

I've spent the last hour or so searching, but everything I find is either about getting a topper, or about regular RV mattress options. These hybrid ones need to fold, and cant be a solid mattress. We don't want a topper as that's just one more thing to pack and worry about.

I was digging into trying to find some 4" high density foam, cutting in in half, and stuffing it into the mattress covers, but I figured it couldn't hurt to come here and ask if any one has any other insights or solutions?
DigitalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Similar issue in our X23B. Tried toppers, other foam, that sort of stuff. Last season we went with a queen air mattress with a built in pump topped with three inches of memory foam. One in the front and one in the rear, and a spare because we all know what happens to inflatables. So far we've made it through all last season and this one on the two original air beds, the spare is still in the box.
As an added benefit, the new setup weighs a little less that the oem mattresses.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

I've spent many hours looking into this, as we ended up purchasing the camper. I figured I would pass along the info for any other potential future searchers.

An RV Short Queen is the same size as most sleeper sofa mattresses. Once I started searching those keywords, many more options became available, at much more affordable prices. Most of these come in 4-5" thicknesses, and there are many non-plastic/non-crinkly water proof mattress covers available in that size.

I think we are going to try one, and find a more affordable alternative to Hypervent. Maybe contact some roofing contractors to see if they have any roof vent leftovers, or just buy a whole roll and sell the leftovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
Similar issue in our X23B. Tried toppers, other foam, that sort of stuff. Last season we went with a queen air mattress with a built in pump topped with three inches of memory foam. One in the front and one in the rear, and a spare because we all know what happens to inflatables. So far we've made it through all last season and this one on the two original air beds, the spare is still in the box.
As an added benefit, the new setup weighs a little less that the oem mattresses.
This will likely be our fallback option. I'd just really like to find a more permanent solution without adding to set up time. BTW - Hello fellow Minnesotan!

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

Old 06-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Short term, we just double up our mattresses on one side, since there’s only the two of us using the trailer most of the time. That works pretty well, but it isn’t an option when we bring friends or grandchildren. I’d still like to find a permanent solution. If you find a good replacement mattress that folds in half for storage, please share it with us.

TG
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

We just returned from a 4 day maiden voyage with the new-to-us rig.

It came with the original mattresses and 1" foam toppers for each. My wife and I also put down two comforters and an additional down pillow-top topper on our side, and the kids put down 4 comforters. Every single one of us was uncomfortable.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on ordering the following items to try on one end, and see if they work. If so, then we'll order another round of them for the kids' side:

No matter what we end up doing/trying, I will definitely report back with our findings.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
We just returned from a 4 day maiden voyage with the new-to-us rig.

It came with the original mattresses and 1" foam toppers for each. My wife and I also put down two comforters and an additional down pillow-top topper on our side, and the kids put down 4 comforters. Every single one of us was uncomfortable.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on ordering the following items to try on one end, and see if they work. If so, then we'll order another round of them for the kids' side:

No matter what we end up doing/trying, I will definitely report back with our findings.
The mattress in the link is 58 x 72, a true queen (like the thin ones in my Jayco x23b) is 60 x 80.
You sure you're comfortable with the shorter mattress?
Old 06-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #7

Ours in our x19h is a RV Queen, 60 x 72. We're willing to sacrifice an inch on each side for more comfort. Hoping that an added benefit to that size is that the Den-Dry will stick out past the edges an inch on each side of the mattress ensuring air flow

Old 06-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #8

The Den Dry looks like a great idea. A lot of threads here asking about condensation in the hybrids.
I'm looking forward to your review of the comfort level of this solution.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #9

Whelp, I take that back. Ours are 58" x 76". So those are two inches skinnier, and four inches shorter, but I guess if anything, that will make sure the Dry-Den does its job. Plus, we're short. I'm 5'8" - 5'9" depending on which convenience store I am leaving, the wife is 5', and the kids inherited our short genes.

Since I added them to my cart this morning, the price has dropped from $220 to $149. Pretty sure its some trick Amazon is pulling, but it worked. I just ordered them for both sides along with a few other things including a 72" HD .060 stainless steel piano hinge to make the under-front-bunk storage usable and accessible. Worst case we cut them down and use them as toppers for the kids' beds at home. The mattresses and waterproof covers will be here Friday, in time for taking the trailer to the friends lake house for the 4th weekend. The Dry-Den not until after.

I will report back with images and a review on the mattresses next week, and the Dry-Den after our next trip with them.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #10

Any idea how you plan to stow these mattresses when the bunks are folded up? I know they are designed to fold up in a sleeper sofa. But will they fold into halfs or thirds and stay that way for storage next to the bunks?

I hope this turns out to be a good solution for you. Can’t wait to hear how it works out.

TG
Old 06-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #11

I'm hoping that we fold them in half and stow them like the original mattresses, either that or they roll up nicely like the 3" memory foam topper we have on our home bed does, and the straps will also keep them in place.

While traveling we use the sofa to store our bags/carry-ons, and the dinette seats to store our blankets, so we hope to avoid adding anything like these mattresses to those areas. They're supposed to be here at some point on Friday, so I'll report back within the week.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #12

In our 23B we used self-inflating camping pads on top of the mattresses. Then just kept them in place with fitted sheets over the mattress and the pad. We had 2" thick ones from Cabelas and 3.5" from REI which were very comfortable. As a bonus, they aren't as hot in warm weather as memory foam pads.

Actually, I would like to unload them since we now have a 5er. I will post them tomorrow over on the For Sale forum if anyone is interested.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #13

Quick update: Only one of our new mattresses showed up on Friday in time for the long weekend over at a friends lake house. I was a little worried as even after letting it fully decompress from its vacuum-sealed flatness, I could pinch it down to nearly nothing. I thought perhaps we would need to look into getting some 1/2" closed cell foam for the bottom (mattress is 4.5" and the waterproof cover is 5"), but it turned out to be much superior to the factory teddy-bear mattress!

The fitment is perfect. They don't fold quite as nicely, making it a little more cumbersome to pack up the bunk ends, but it was worth it. I'll post some pictures soon, hopefully this weekend as the other mattress, the Dry-Den, and the 72" stainless piano hinge (for the front storage access mod) all arrived today.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
Short term, we just double up our mattresses on one side, since there’s only the two of us using the trailer most of the time. That works pretty well, but it isn’t an option when we bring friends or grandchildren. I’d still like to find a permanent solution. If you find a good replacement mattress that folds in half for storage, please share it with us.

TG
We do the same. If one of the kids comes up and wants to sleep in the trailer instead of a tent, we have a king air mattress that fits on the 2nd bunk. Don't want them getting TOO comfortable.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #15

Our Wilderness RV Hybrid mattress is excellent
kylemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemitchell View Post
Our Wilderness RV Hybrid mattress is excellent
Its also like $800, 10-11 inches thick, and won't fold?

Old 07-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
The mattress in the link is 58 x 72, a true queen (like the thin ones in my Jayco x23b) is 60 x 80.
You sure you're comfortable with the shorter mattress?
Check out CustomMattressFactory.com in Tenn. They are US made and will custom fit to just about any shape you want including length, shaped corners and even a fold.
Cheers,
Rick from Ontario
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #18

When we took possession of our Eagle we had already ordered a replacement mattress. As it turned out we spent two nights on the Factory Mattress getting it home from Iowa to Colorado. Upon receipt of our Comfortaire queen two bladder air mattress, now purchased buy Sleep Number I'm told, we slept comfortably, including roughly three years total full timing in the winters.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #19

Shortly after we bought our Whitehawk me and my wife both decided the mattress had to go. I looked online and found an almost new queen size sleep number bed for $150. We then picked up a foam topper from Costco for ~$60. It is a tight fit but works awesome and I sleep soundly every night :-)
DadBodMarathonRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #20

Have a 23MRB 2018 Whitehawk with a Murphy bed so we couldn't add much more thickness to it so we added a 3" top from Costco, perfect for us.
hoosierdome is offline   Reply With Quote