Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #21

Update from me. We replaced our teddy bear mattress with a Milliard 4” folding mattress from Overstock.com the standard queen size fits our 17z.

Holy cow, what a difference. We slept like we were at home.
Jgeiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ohanlon View Post
I bought a Novosbed. Really comfortable, and good for my back
The OP has a hybrid trailer. Very different sort of mattress in a hybrid.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #23

Not for everyone, but if you are using yours as a couples trailer like we do, just bring the back bunk mattress forward and stack it on top of the front bunk mattress. 8" of foam is very comfortable. For the odd time that we have a guest in the back bunk we use a cheap 1" foam "topper" (in our case it's an "underer") which makes the bunk a tolerable 5". Works well enough for us.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #24

Our 2016 northpoint came with a king foam mattress which immediately we sold. We cut down the plywood platform to queen size and install a $500 costco posturepedic and love the comfort and extra space around the bed. We sleep like a baby now.

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #25

We replaced the 4" king mattress in our pop up prior to buying our travel trailer, as it was the original mattress from 1998 and we sunk to the plywood on it. We first put down foam tiles from Harbor Freight (not sure if they would stay put in a hybrid though; YMMV), and then I ordered 2" of high density foam base and 2" of latex cut to size, plus a custom sized mattress cover from The Foam Factory. My husband and I slept so well in the pop up after that! I highly recommend this if you want to keep it at 4-5" thick so that everything still closes. The custom sizes for the lux foam base and cover is off of the "conventional" link, and I bought a standard king latex topper and had the company custom cut that to match.
ADKAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #26
L&G

Forget a topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Dont waste you money on a topper, you will still feel that crappy mattress underneath. Go to Amazon they sell some nice memory foam mattresses at very reasonable prices. And if you dont like it return it for free.
I agree that a memory foam topper will not be enough to improve a terrible mattress. We bought a topper and have used it on top of the terrible Denver mattress that came in our trailer. I sleep on my side and my hips feel like they are knocking on the plywood base. We have also tried the same memory foam topper on a mattress in our house that is a bit too firm. That is a perfect combination. So, a memory foam topper is a great feel if you have a decent firm base.

I've been looking for a new mattress and I'm leaning towards a firm foam mattress from The Foam Factory and putting our memory foam topper on top of it. The Foam Factory sells mattresses with memory foam glued to a foam base. This would be nice as it would prevent sliding but I asked them if their memory foam is gel memory foam and they said no. Gel memory foam is supposed to be cooler than regular memory foam and since I already find the gel foam warm, I for sure don't want to try regular memory foam. I've always been cold when sleeping and I still find the gel memory foam warm.
L&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&G View Post
I agree that a memory foam topper will not be enough to improve a terrible mattress. We bought a topper and have used it on top of the terrible Denver mattress that came in our trailer. I sleep on my side and my hips feel like they are knocking on the plywood base. We have also tried the same memory foam topper on a mattress in our house that is a bit too firm. That is a perfect combination. So, a memory foam topper is a great feel if you have a decent firm base.

I've been looking for a new mattress and I'm leaning towards a firm foam mattress from The Foam Factory and putting our memory foam topper on top of it. The Foam Factory sells mattresses with memory foam glued to a foam base. This would be nice as it would prevent sliding but I asked them if their memory foam is gel memory foam and they said no. Gel memory foam is supposed to be cooler than regular memory foam and since I already find the gel foam warm, I for sure don't want to try regular memory foam. I've always been cold when sleeping and I still find the gel memory foam warm.
I was incredibly happy with my purchase from the Foam Factory. Also, we have a latex/spring coil hybrid mattress at home and I ordered the 2" latex topper to build half of my 4" mattress replacement for the pop up from the Foam Factory because as a rule it sleeps cooler than memory foam (the other half was a 2" base of high density foam and a 4" mattress cover to hold the two layers in place together). It does have a bit of a jello feel to it but I personally like the springiness. I sleep cold too and memory foam (non-gel) was too warm for me, and my husband sleeps hot, so when the old memory foam mattress wore out we decided to try latex and haven't had a single regret. I'm probably going to order a RV queen latex mattress for our new travel trailer too. Edit: The place we bought our latex home mattress from offers RV mattress sizes, which is what we will use. Arizona Premium Mattress.
ADKAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #28

We put a 4" memory foam mattress on top of what came with the camper. Made a world of difference. Measure width and length of what you have now. Match the best you can. We had to go with a full size mattress to match the so called queen that came with ours. It ended up being about 2" shorter but we don't notice it when we lay on it. Got the mattress off of Amazon. It folds in three places. Makes it easier to make the bed.
tpstropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #29

Mattress

We purchased a Zinus 10 inch deluxe on Amazon and are very happy with it. Never even tried teddy bear stock mattress. It adds quite a bit of tongue weight since bed is in front on our Jayflight 17 Slx, but it’s worth it as we sleep really well on this mattress. They have thinner options as well. 8 inch would likely do the trick and is less expensive.
bchandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #30

Zinus 10" memory foam Super comfy and priced right.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #31

Also own a x17z. We bought 4 or 5 inch foam mattress pad and it makes a huge difference. When traveling, they fold in half and sit on top of the folded down table.
kjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #32

The Teddy Bear mattress was like sleeping on a straw mattress! We purchased a DreamFoam Bedding 2" Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper, Made in USA, Short Queen at Amazon last year. My dh trimmed it down with an electric knife and we stuffed it into the mattress cover. It is a little but bulky, but it was so.. comfortable on our cross country excursion last fall.
Ted.Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #33

Have the X17z with the 4” heated mattress that I found comfortable by itself - not sure what the Teddy Bear mattress is that people reference. Still topped with a 2” memory foam - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - to make sure wife was happy and she gave a thumbs up and she is quite picky about mattresses.
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote