Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Mattress toppers

So we just had our inaugural trip in our 19XUD. These "mattresses " are terrible. Looking to upgrade to at least a topper, many memory foam. Tell me what you have, where did you purchase from.
Me and my back thank you
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

We snagged a deal on two 1.5 inch toppers at Kohl's for $45. We used one of them on our last trip out. I put on the second one after we got back. We'll test out the double layer in a couple of weeks. I had to cut about 7 inches off of them but it made the mattress bearable, maybe even borderline comfortable!
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

I skipped trying a topper, figured it would not help the so called Jayco mattress. Tossed the mattress and replaced with a Sealy iComfort memory foam
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Mattress Toppers

I posted this a couple of years ago - back when Jayco used the "Denver Mattress" - but it bears repeating.

After reading several mattress postings on this sight, I purchased a Serta 3" memory-foam topper from Walmart (about $135) before I ever took my TT on its maiden trip. Placed it on top of the mattress, but after about 4 nights, I realized why it's called "memory-foam". It developed a "dip" where I slept, so every time I turned over, I'd roll back into the "dip". When I returned home, I read another post that suggested putting the memory-foam under the regular mattress . . . like a box spring. I tried that on my next trip, and added a 1-1/2" corrugated foam topper on top of the mattress (like a pillow top). What a difference! I got the best sleep of my life! Now my bed was more comfy than the $1000 Simmons "BeautyRest" I had at home.

If you think about it, it just makes sense. At home your mattress probably sets atop a box spring. In your rig, it sets on a piece of thin plywood. One additional benefit I hadn't anticipated: The bottom memory foam topper fills the gaps between the plywood and the sides of the nightstands, keeping cold air from the pass-thru storage area from infiltrating the bedroom. Now I'm comfy and cozy! You might want to give this idea a try before you invest in a whole new mattress.

Sleepin' like a baby!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks Brownie I am going to try this. I have a a very nice topper that has made a difference, but we are restless sleepers and it tends to slide around and needs adjustments often. I am hoping that your method will solve our problem and still give us added comfort level.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
So we just had our inaugural trip in our 19XUD. These "mattresses " are terrible. Looking to upgrade to at least a topper, many memory foam. Tell me what you have, where did you purchase from.
Me and my back thank you
My wife had problems with the mattress in our hybrid and we bought a 4" memory foam online. It was comfortable but you have to watch out for the height--hybrids don't have much room to spare. It also created storage problems when we were not set up.

We have since ordered a 2" memory foam and it is working out ok. I do like the idea of putting it under the mattress though that wouldn't help as much in the middle where the mattress folds.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I posted this a couple of years ago - back when Jayco used the "Denver Mattress" - but it bears repeating.

After reading several mattress postings on this sight, I purchased a Serta 3" memory-foam topper from Walmart (about $135) before I ever took my TT on its maiden trip. Placed it on top of the mattress, but after about 4 nights, I realized why it's called "memory-foam". It developed a "dip" where I slept, so every time I turned over, I'd roll back into the "dip". When I returned home, I read another post that suggested putting the memory-foam under the regular mattress . . . like a box spring. I tried that on my next trip, and added a 1-1/2" corrugated foam topper on top of the mattress (like a pillow top). What a difference! I got the best sleep of my life! Now my bed was more comfy than the $1000 Simmons "BeautyRest" I had at home.

If you think about it, it just makes sense. At home your mattress probably sets atop a box spring. In your rig, it sets on a piece of thin plywood. One additional benefit I hadn't anticipated: The bottom memory foam topper fills the gaps between the plywood and the sides of the nightstands, keeping cold air from the pass-thru storage area from infiltrating the bedroom. Now I'm comfy and cozy! You might want to give this idea a try before you invest in a whole new mattress.

Sleepin' like a baby!
Which foam mattress topper did you buy and where did you buy it? Thanks!
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Thank you Brownie! Great suggestion. Our "mattress" folds in half for storage, so I think a topper would be fairly easy to fold and stow for travel.
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #9

Desertpull:

Quote:

Sleepin' like a baby!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

We use a cheap "egg carton" foam from WalMart under our mattress, maybe 2", was about $40? This was just enough to stop us from bottoming out on the plywood base below, and get a reasonably good sleep. The foam is thin enough that it folds around the mattress for travel and really takes no extra space. I've slept on it for 2 weeks straight with no back complaints.

When we have no kids or guests along we will steal the mattress from the back bunk and double up for a very comfy sleep (although it is a pretty soft support).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Desertpull:
Brownie
I didn’t realize you also kept your memory foam underneath your mattress and then foam on top.
My problem is I fall sideways into my hubby! Lol
Old 03-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Desertpull;621423]Brownie
I didn’t realize you also kept your memory foam underneath your mattress and then foam on top.
My problem is I fall sideways into my hubby! LolQUOTE]

Desertpull,

That may be because of the flex in the thin plywood base under the mattress. The memory foam on top of the mattress will only exacerbate that problem after 3-4 nights. The memory foam underneath should help distribute the weight across a wider area, and eliminate that problem. On the other hand, your husband may enjoy your current situation, (lol) and object to the additional support the mem-foam underneath the mattress provides.

You can eliminate the thinner foam on top, if you like. I like the cushy pillow-top feel with the firmer foundation underneath the combination provides.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #13

[QUOTE=Brownie;621642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertpull View Post
Brownie
My problem is I fall sideways into my hubby! LolQUOTE]

Desertpull,

That may be because of the flex in the thin plywood base under the mattress. The memory foam on top of the mattress will only exacerbate that problem after 3-4 nights. The memory foam underneath should help distribute the weight across a wider area, and eliminate that problem. On the other hand, your husband may enjoy your current situation, (lol) and object to the additional support the mem-foam underneath the mattress provides.

You can eliminate the thinner foam on top, if you like. I like the cushy pillow-top feel with the firmer foundation underneath the combination provides.
Yes that thin plywood is awful and I fell sideways even without my husband in bed and I am not over weight. My husband added 1/2 sheet of plywood on top of the existing plywood and also did a bunch of support underneath the bed, very nice work too!
I love egg crates so maybe I will try the memory foam underneath the mattress and see if that works.
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #14

[QUOTE=Desertpull;621762]
Quote:

Yes that thin plywood is awful and I fell sideways even without my husband in bed and I am not over weight. My husband added 1/2 sheet of plywood on top of the existing plywood and also did a bunch of support underneath the bed, very nice work too!
I love egg crates so maybe I will try the memory foam underneath the mattress and see if that works.
Thanks for your help!
Brownie
The only Serta memory foam I am finding is gel memory foam. Is that what you bought at Walmart that goes underneath your mattress?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

Yup.. this subject has been beaten to death over the past few years. One thing is clear. The Jayco supplied mattress is terrible. I knew without even ever sleeping in mine that it had to go. Just sitting on it said it all.
I chose to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing with a quality mattress. No topper. As seasonal site campers, we use our camper every weekend from May to October. With all the money spent on this rig, a $50 topper wasn’t going to cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I chose to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing with a quality mattress. No topper. As seasonal site campers, we use our camper every weekend from May to October. With all the money spent on this rig, a $50 topper wasn’t going to cut it.
I agree 100%, I don't understand why so many are cheap and try to use a topper. To me sleep is very important, my mattress at home was expensive over 2k and I wake up every morning feeling great, and now I do the same when camping. To me trying to use a topper was like the old saying, You can put perfume on a pig but its still a pig.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #17

With this topic in the Hybrid section, I'm curious how a regular mattress would be stored. My X17C mattresses fold in half and are stored perpendicular to the floor on each end. A full sized mattress would hardly fit in this cozy (re: tiny!) camper. A 2" topper could be rolled and stored. How are you folks with toppers storing yours? And how are those with regular mattresses storing yours?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
With this topic in the Hybrid section, I'm curious how a regular mattress would be stored. My X17C mattresses fold in half and are stored perpendicular to the floor on each end. A full sized mattress would hardly fit in this cozy (re: tiny!) camper. A 2" topper could be rolled and stored. How are you folks with toppers storing yours? And how are those with regular mattresses storing yours?
Wondering the same thing with my x23b. Is there a better mattress that can be folded in half, or two thick mattresses that will match the width?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
I suspect some people have not noticed that this is in the Hybrid section. Furthermore, if people have never owned a hybrid, they may not even be aware that mattresses have to be folded and tucked away during travel.