Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Moisture under beds

i have a x17z and almost everytime we've camped ive noticed moisture under the mattresses, no problem with mold because we just lift the mattresses in the morning and during the day. does anyone have any suggestions to keep it dry under the mattress or is this just a normal thing with condensation? thanks

Leedawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-34069.html

twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Wouldn't placing a sheet of styrofoam insulation board, maybe 1-1/2 or 2 inches thick, under the mattress get rid of the temperature difference that's causing the under-mattress condensation?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

Just leave a window cracked open a bit. The one we leave open is a small one above the sink in our X20E.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

I feel that you pay this kind of money for a top named camper, you wouldn't have this problem. I just used my 2016 16XRB camper twice and both times the mattresses got wet. Using fans and opening windows is not a fix. If I were told of this when I bought the camper, I wouldn't have. I had a regular Pop up for years and had no problem. Very disappointed!
dshartman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshartman11 View Post
I feel that you pay this kind of money for a top named camper, you wouldn't have this problem. I just used my 2016 16XRB camper twice and both times the mattresses got wet. Using fans and opening windows is not a fix. If I were told of this when I bought the camper, I wouldn't have. I had a regular Pop up for years and had no problem. Very disappointed!
Not to dismiss your concern, but this is an issue that's frequently discussed in RV forums like this one and rv.net. We bought our first hybrid in 2003and knew back then that condensation was a potential issue.

I had pop-ups and never had this problem either. It's because by it's nature a pop-up "breathes". Not all of the canvas on a pop-up is vinyl covered. This issue is unique to all hybrids no matter who the manufacturer is, and it's because the canvas is vinyl covered. No air can move through the canvas bunk ends. If you give the moisture a place to go you reduce or eliminate the problem. It's like the need to put a dehumidifier in a basement.

One thing that's positive about this, is that it doesn't happen in warm weather. Only when its cold and you're running the furnace.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

I think this is primarily a HTT thing. We have experienced a little moisture under the mattress, during a normal weekend trip I do nothing about it. When we close up and get home its all dried up.

As for general condensation issues, which HTTs are known for, we leave a side window on each bunk cracked open about 4 inches (in total) and have the opening in the upper most corner. During hard rains water never gets in. We also leave our bathroom roof vent cracked open about 1/2 to 1 inch. We do have a Max Air roof vent cover. Since doing this moisture is not an issue.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #8

DocBrown, the problem with "it's frequently discussed in forums like this..." is you don't discover these forums until you've plunked down at least $25,000, and sold the tent trailer. Having never in 20 years had the issue with my 2 Coleman tent trailers, I'd never have dreamd I'd have it in a hybrid. The bed base on my Colemans was wood, also, which breathes better than the fiberglass wall which is now my base. It sounds like each person has pretty much found their own solution, but not all are the same. The theory that it only happens when it's cold and you are using the furnace is wrong. We are camping in So. Cal, it is not cold, and we are not using our furnace, and only the bed we are sleeping on has the wet mattress. The ones we are storing stuff on have no moisture. Good luck, Leedawg84, and if you get your issue fixed, let me know. I'm working on it, too.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

When propane burns it gives off a lot of moisture, we use 2 very small ceramic heaters. Just crack the kitchen window and leave the bathroom vent cracked open. We only heat enough to keep the chill off, and load up on the blankets for sleeping. Only run the furnace when we get out of bed in the morning.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Vinyl

I thought about inserting vinyl inside the mattress cover, Bottom, to keep the body heat from going through to the cooler bed top.

dshartman11 is offline   Reply With Quote