Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Moisture under mattresses

Hey all, I am new to the forum, and have a 2016 X23B.

I have just completed several weeks of study on the dampness under the mattress issue. My steps are below, but my conclusion is it’s the mattress materials or construction, not the camper itself that causes the dampness. For reference we have the folding Denver Mattress Teddy Bear mattresses. Also note that this is UNDER the mattress, not above where venting the canvas or running fans will make any difference.

The first thing I tried was reflectix. Woke up in the morning to a lot of dampness.

The next thing I tried was the wool army blanket. Wet.

The third thing we tried was large (1”) bubble wrap. Wet.

The fourth thing I tried was sheets of 1” thick foil backed foam insulation sheets. Wet.

Then I tried carpet, like the rectangles little kids sit on in daycare. Wet.

The most recent solution I tested under the mattress was an air bed. I hate them and I hesitated to spend the money on one, but I did. While I will say I slept pretty well with the regular mattress on top of the air mattress I was disappointed to wake up and find wet between the mattress and the air mattress. In fact, the air mattress left MORE water between then than anything else.

The last thing I did was to put the thing on the floor and lay on it for a while. Wet underneath. Other Jayco owners who don't have the Teddy Bear mattresses, like the ones that are vinyl backed, don't seem to have this issue. This is the case even when they have the same model or a similar one that presumably uses the same door/bed. This leads me back to the mattress. Any other thoughts? And the Hypervent/Aire-Flow mats are $100/bed which I don't want to spend if all the other supposed solutions didn't work, either.
CamperKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #2

Unfortunately, you need a new mattress. Considering what you've done so far, seems like the only viable solution. Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

I can tell you the Hypervent does work. I had the same problem on my boat and tried several things like you did to no avail, someone mentioned Hypervent and we have been high and dry ever since. You need the thermal break with airflow or its never going to be dry no matter which mattress you use
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #4

I guess my 2008 Starcraft 14R/T trailer has a standard mattress. Never heard of the Teddy Bear Mattress before... Did this come with your trailer?

I have the standard mattress with a 3-inch foam topper on it that I added. I also have the Two Foot stick-on CARPET SQUARES like from LOWES on top of the wood floor of the pull out tent bed. All is dry here when sleeping on it...

My mattress and foam topper must be alittle higher than normal as when the roof comes down on top of it touches the foam topper and slightly depresses it... My two ceiling light fixtures leave a depression mark on the mattress foam topper...

Makes me always make sure the ceiling lights cannot come on when the roof is down...

I guess you are saying others that have the Teddy Bear Mattress does not make moisture under them???...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #5

Hypervent Fisheries Supplies!Like 12 bucks may give it a try! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Yes, the mattress came with Jayco hybrids starting in 2016. The bed suface is also not wood, like a pup, fiberglass and metal.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Hypervent Fisheries Supplies!Like 12 bucks may give it a try! Thanks
$12/liner foot at 39" wide, which is about $100 per bed
Old 05-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I guess my 2008 Starcraft 14R/T trailer has a standard mattress. Never heard of the Teddy Bear Mattress before... Did this come with your trailer?

I have the standard mattress with a 3-inch foam topper on it that I added. I also have the Two Foot stick-on CARPET SQUARES like from LOWES on top of the wood floor of the pull out tent bed. All is dry here when sleeping on it...

My mattress and foam topper must be alittle higher than normal as when the roof comes down on top of it touches the foam topper and slightly depresses it... My two ceiling light fixtures leave a depression mark on the mattress foam topper...

Makes me always make sure the ceiling lights cannot come on when the roof is down...

I guess you are saying others that have the Teddy Bear Mattress does not make moisture under them???...

Roy Ken
Yes, the mattress came with Jayco hybrids starting in 2016. The bed suface is also not wood, like a pup, fiberglass and metal.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Ron, the big difference here is that your pop up has a plywood bunk. Plywood breathes where the fold down beds on the hybrids have a composite door that transfer heat/cold but doesn’t breath.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

I have 2013 Jay Feather x17z with standard vinyl backed mattresses and sleep in sleeping bags and moisture has never been a problem. I unzipped two standard sleeping bags and zipped them together to make a queen size.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #11

I bit the bullet and bought the hypervent. Works wonderfully and definitely worth the cost. Even with sheets, memory foam topper and duvets, mattress bottom stays dry.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
I have 2013 Jay Feather x17z with standard vinyl backed mattresses and sleep in sleeping bags and moisture has never been a problem. I unzipped two standard sleeping bags and zipped them together to make a queen size.
X2
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

As long as you have cool air on one side (ie. outside) and warm moist air on the other side (ie warm body and moisture from breathing and skin evaporation) and nothing to absorb the moisture between (composite board instead of porous plywood) the moisture will condense on the warm side of the bed board because of the cold on the other side. Just like noninsulated windows in winter.
Same thing happens on boats people sleep on, cooler water outside the boat and moisture from bodies on the other side. Happens in tightly sealed tents overnight also.
Mattress types don't have anything to do with with it.
As long as I am able to flip the mattresses up each day such as when we travel, I don't worry about it.
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

It is odd that some people never have a problem with condensation under their mattress and others have an ongoing problem. I only have it when we snow-bird in Florida. Just goes to show there are other variables at play.

Anway, here is what has worked for me on my last 2 trailers. Cheap, too. About $5. Old fashioned wood lath, 1/4" thick, 1 1/2" wide, 4' long. Laid crosswise 8" apart. The lath isn't thick enough to feel through the mattress, but enough to let some air flow and keep it a little off the plywood. Can't say this will work for everyone.

bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #15

For those of you that used the Hypervent solution, how long did you cut the product? The same size as the mattress? Longer then the mattress? A little smaller then the mattress?

I'm thinking longer would be better as the airflow would be unimpeded by mattress sag?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #16

I cut mine to the size of the mattress. 60”
Shades9323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #17

Had the same problem. Next trip I installed they hypervent and never had a problem since.

I measured the platform. So it extends a touch more than the mattress. I'm guessing either way you cut / measure is fine.
jbagnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperKatie View Post
$12/liner foot at 39" wide, which is about $100 per bed
or $8.99
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...186&id=1818021
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote