Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

mold spots on my end bunk canvas

My wife and I have had pop-ups and now this jayco 19 h hybrid for over 35 years. We do our best to make sure they get opened and aired out every time we get home from a trip.
It seems every time we go on a trip now we have to leave when it's either raining or had rained the night before. Anyway we now have spots of mold on the canvas ends ( I now they aren't actually canvas ,but I use this term so everyone knows what I'm talking about ).
If anyone has had to deal with getting rid of this mold and has had good luck with a procedure or product that worked well for you I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.
cojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojay View Post
My wife and I have had pop-ups and now this jayco 19 h hybrid for over 35 years. We do our best to make sure they get opened and aired out every time we get home from a trip.
It seems every time we go on a trip now we have to leave when it's either raining or had rained the night before. Anyway we now have spots of mold on the canvas ends ( I now they aren't actually canvas ,but I use this term so everyone knows what I'm talking about ).
If anyone has had to deal with getting rid of this mold and has had good luck with a procedure or product that worked well for you I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.
I dont know about the mold removal, but could you keep a canister of Damp Rid in the camper?
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

Concrobium Mold Remover (Home Despot). Follow the directions carefully (needs to sit to work).

If you can't open the bunks out after a wet close up, open them IN instead. Move the mattresses out of the way and pull the canvas inside loosely. You can zip open the screen end to dry it down with a towel. And as @chaznsc says, keep a big tub of Damp Rid in there, actually one at either end.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Some years back I didn't get the canvas all in on side and it allowed some water in while it was raining on the way home. We packed up dry so it never occurred to me to look at or open the bunks. A few weeks later I opened it up to do some cleaning. Got a little bit of mold. I did what our dealer told us to try when we got some mold on our popup canvas.

A little bit of bleach in a hot bucket of water. Another bucket of plain hot water. With a sponge or rag soak the area with the bleach water. Leave it sit a few minutes. Follow up with a clean sponge or rag with the plain water. Do the plain water a couple of times.

This worked great on both my pop-up and the hybrid.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Similar advise but I'll share what worked for me. Get an empty spray bottle and fill it with 50/50 bleach and water. Spray on the mold areas and let sit for a few hours. Once the mold is gone, lightly rinse the area with water, dry with a towel and let air dry. Its amazing how well bleach works.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
Similar advise but I'll share what worked for me. Get an empty spray bottle and fill it with 50/50 bleach and water. Spray on the mold areas and let sit for a few hours. Once the mold is gone, lightly rinse the area with water, dry with a towel and let air dry. Its amazing how well bleach works.
X2 on that as I went out and bought the (Concrobium deep stain remover) and followed the directions and it didn’t work!!!
Attached Thumbnails
5385D036-D62E-411E-9014-2EA2FA790FAA.jpg  
Old 11-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
That is what I use to clean my hybrid sides and awning. I just add a little Dawn detergent. I then close them up damp for a few days then open to dry. Gets rid of mold, spots and gives a clean canvas all inone job.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

Bleach if left for longer periods will eat fabrics... Vinegar might work best?
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote