Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Mounting popup gizmos

I have a 19H (but I assume my question would also apply to 17A, 17Z, 20E, 23B or 23F & maybe even other HTTs). I am looking for tips, incl. pics, for installing my popup gizmos which have the velcro sewn in by the company. I have the other side of the velcro with the sticky back and just want some tips on installing it given the awkward position of the top of the popout. Also, do those who have them leave them on and just close up the popout? Thanks for all tips and pics!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

I just use the clips that they send with the gismo's and reach over the top as far as I can. I use 3-4 clips per side and none near the center because I can't reach that far. Always worked for me on the back edge but you also need a few on the front edge because the wind can pick up the front edge and move the whole top over if you don't. Maybe others have better ideas.
I donot fold them up with the canvas but if I used Velcro it might be doable. When I remove the gismo's ( each side has 5 straps) I take the front 3 and tie them together lightly and the same to the rear 2. If you don't then when you fold it up you have 10 strap ends all tangled up for the next use and it's a big mess of straps.
They work great in spring, summer and fall weather and I wouldn't be without them. If they send you 2 different sizes then the larger one goes on the front, my pop outs are 2 different lengths. I've used them for 24 weeks at many, many locations and their like new condition.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

I know some have had good luck with using the velcro, I went that way for a while, but found the front door was leaking with the velcro and popup gizmo left on. I ended up removing the velcro from the camper and basically do what Tunce mentioned. I did take it a slight step further, I used pop rivets to attach the clips to the top edge of the gizmos, makes a little easier as the clips are always in place ready to go.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

The Velcro has really worked well for me. I leave the PUG on year around. I sometimes have to replace the strips of velcro I cut that go on the underside of the tent frame.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

ok, what is this PUG?
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichaels View Post
ok, what is this PUG?
Pop
Up
Gizmo

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #7

No, I got that. What are we actually talking about?
Sold 1999 Durango
Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Just google ( popupgizmo.com ) they cover the tent ends.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #9

Thanks. I guess they didnt work too hard to come up with a name for their products.
Sold 1999 Durango
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

LOL after i posted my answer I thought wow I think I might have misunderstood the question being asked. Ol well someone else got the answer you where looking for.[emoji2]

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #11

I have the super high wind PUGs. They didn't come with velcro - is this an option you can add when ordering them? Anyway, I find that they are a pain to attached, mainly because you need to stand on something to reach high enough to get them clipped on along the top edges, and we don't have room for a stool or ladder. Once they are in place they seem to work well, but I didn't even take them out of the box last year because of the hassle factor. When storing them, Bob from PUGs told me to keep the lines separated by rolling them up individuallly and using a twisty tie on each. I bet it takes me an hour to take them off, get all the twisty ties on, and get them folded up and back in the box.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

[QUOTE=go wild;256345When storing them, Bob from PUGs told me to keep the lines separated by rolling them up individuallly and using a twisty tie on each. I bet it takes me an hour to take them off, get all the twisty ties on, and get them folded up and back in the box.[/QUOTE]

You have 5 lines on each side and the easy way(at least for me) is to take the first 3 front lines and while holding the ends tie them in a loose knot. Do the same on the rear 2 and this way they don't get all tangled up. So your tying 3 together & 2 together. Takes no time at all to do this.
Lowes and HomeDepot have a light 4' step ladder that I carry under my sofa when I'm on the road and I keep it under the TT when at the camp site. When on the ladder I can only reach about a 3rd of the way over the top. Even with only a 3rd of the way I've never had a problem but I always use about 3-4 clips on the front edge to keep the wind from lifting it up. Sometimes I camp at the edge of the ocean or a high cliff and the stiff breeze can lift that front edge if I don't.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #13

I agree, its much easier to tie them together in groups. I actually leave the outermost pair connected and loosely tie the remaining ones together. I tried the individual method and does take way to long. Two of us can get all three PUGS on in less than 10minutes, its all about getting a system down. We take a 6ft step ladder mounted onto the rear bumper. I made a bracket to hold it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
ladder.jpg  
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
I agree, its much easier to tie them together in groups. I actually leave the outermost pair connected and loosely tie the remaining ones together. I tried the individual method and does take way to long. Two of us can get all three PUGS on in less than 10minutes, its all about getting a system down. We take a 6ft step ladder mounted onto the rear bumper. I made a bracket to hold it in place.
X2
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #15

X3.

Also, although I haven't fully installed them at a campsite yet, DW and I have placed one of them at our storage lot and it certainly did not seem as complicated as many here are making it out to be. The reason I asked the question in the beginning is just how to attach the velcro at the top which seems to be the biggest challenge, especially for the first time. I plan to leave the PUG on after the first attachment as some have recommended. I can certainly carry my 6' ladder in the unit or in the back of my TV (tow vehicle) when travelling and then place it under the HTT (a 19H) when at a campsite. I also usually have a step stool which will help. It is probably much easier to have TWO to install it. I use my HTT to get out of the intense heat of Phoenix in the summer and "camp" along the San Diego Bay for two-three months!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

Hhhmn,I'll have to look into these. We were cold weather camping this week and the condensation on the inside of the bunk roofs was really annoying. It was raining on the INSIDE of the camper.
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Red View Post
Hhhmn,I'll have to look into these. We were cold weather camping this week and the condensation on the inside of the bunk roofs was really annoying. It was raining on the INSIDE of the camper.
What I have and it works great is a De humidifier for my Hybrid but it also helps to crack the windows just a tad. It can and will pull 8-16 oz. Of water out during the night. The warmer you have the trailer at night the more water you'll have. I keep mine in the low 60s at night and with 2 people and one 95 lb. dog it's dry inside.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #18

Velcro hold our Fishing polls in Our G2 Bunk House
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Just google ( popupgizmo.com ) they cover the tent ends.
http://www.popupgizmos.com/

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #20

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I've been trying to decide what to go with on bunk end covers. It appears that the differences on the popup gizmos are how they are attached? Is the "standard" blanket part at $40 the same as the "high wind" at $50 and the "super high wind" at $80?

I've even thought about making my own from Reflectix from Home Depot. Attaching to the bunk ends would be a concern, so I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. Anybody made their own gizmos? A 48" x 25' roll is $43.25.
penguin149 is offline   Reply With Quote