Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #1

My new 19xud

I'm new here. Direct me to the answer if it already has been asked.
We just upgraded from a 2001 pop-up to a 2018 19XUD. So I have the basic camping supplies.
Going from to a little bigger camper I have a few questions.
I told the dealer to give me $600 toward a weight distribution hitch. What's a decent one?
What is good for chocking the tandem axle?
Is there anything else I should get? (water pressure regulator, surge suppresor. Etc.?)
Jimb317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

Check out the "hitch and ..." thread. A lot of good suggestions there.

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Welcome to JOF!!! Lots of great information here. Which side of the falls are you on?

Moving from our pup to the 19H there was very little that I needed. The electrical service amperage increased as I now have A/C, so a heavier extension cord was required. My existing plastic chocks work fine, but I decided to upgrade to Andersen levelers as I was going to have to buy more Lego's for leveling the second axle anyway. The electric awning required some head protection (pool noodles) to put on the arms that stick out at "just the right height". I already had the freshwater hoses, but needed the sewer hoses as the pup had no waste tanks.

Think that's about all I had to buy different from our standard kit. Of course there were lots of other gadgets purchased "just because", but none were necessary.

ETA: forgot the WDH. For a very light trailer like yours, you don't have to spend a lot on a WDH, you may not need it depending on type of TV. I just put on an inexpensive Husky Round Bar (with sway control) with the smallest bars (600 lbs. - Husky part 31986) and am very happy with it. There are fancier options out there, but they all accomplish the same thing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Check into Fastway e2 wdh. For your size unit that should be more than enough hitch. The other item to consider is a Progressive EMS Surge Protector.

Congratulations on your upgrade also!
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

We took much the same route... popup to 19XUD

We found that the same chocks worked just fine, and we didn't need a WDH..

Our popup had an oven, but the 19 doesn't, so we bought a small toaster oven. Travelling, it lives under the sink.. parked, it fits nicely on the space above the fridge... there's power up there, too.

The 'pup had two gas bottles, but the 19 has just one, so I got a two-bottle platform that I'm in the process of fitting on the tngue. (Oh..when you come to change the bottle... it's bolted on from underneath. Yes, you do have to lie on the ground with a wrench to change the gas bottle ! A nice heavy cargo strap solved that one.)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb317 View Post
I'm new here. Direct me to the answer if it already has been asked.
We just upgraded from a 2001 pop-up to a 2018 19XUD. So I have the basic camping supplies.
Going from to a little bigger camper I have a few questions.
I told the dealer to give me $600 toward a weight distribution hitch. What's a decent one?
What is good for chocking the tandem axle?
Is there anything else I should get? (water pressure regulator, surge suppresor. Etc.?)
Regarding the WDH, personally I would find one with an integrated sway control such as Equalizer brand. I have an Equalizer on my 23B and it is easy to use.

Chocks, I use 4 cheap plastic ones. But I would recommend something like X-Chocks to be placed between the tires, as it will help reduce the rocking motion when someone is walking around.

As for other equipment, a lot will depend on the type of camping you choose to do. For example if you like full hookups, a nice sewer hose is great, but if you rarely ever have full hookups, I would forget it, as they take a lot of space in our small TTs.

Personally, I would stick with the basics and add a notebook. There are a few things I have added over the years, that would be nice to haves, like a heavy duty 30 amp extension cord. I have used it twice in maybe 5 years, and could have used it twice before I got it.

Coming from a PU, you will transition over really easily.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

We really like the Husky Centerline TS with built in sway-control we have with our F150 Jayco 232 combination. It keeps it directly behind our truck all the time, and the combination looks great when pulling. It took some practice at first learning to take the bars on and off with the tool they provided. Electric hitch really helps with that.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote