Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

New 05 23B owner

Just picked up a 2005 23B over the weekend. First thing I did was seal up the roof with some dicor and eternabond. Also, cleaned up around the A/C and check the gasket inside and out. It feels a little dry on the outside and fine on the inside. It had a nice test last night. I have a few questions about the A/C problem. The entire roof felt solid except for around 1 foot in front of the A/C outside and in, what would cause that? No sagging, but a crunchy sound. Anything I need to be worried about or just keep a watch on it? Also, in the bathroom, the shower wall has pulled away from the actual wall. I can hear sticky sound when I press it in, but it won't stick and stay. It is near the top right, the rest is fine. Pretty sure I need to reseal the bunk ends. The white seal is pretty flat near the top, any suggestions on that? Anyway to turn the radio completely off (no lights on it)? Any help would be appreciated. We owed a Starcraft pop up before this. Thanks, Chris
STU4084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

I am also a new 2005 23B owner. We purchased ours in September 2016. It did have signs of a leak around the AC and I was very hesitant to purchase. My salesman said they had the seal on the AC replaced and the entire unit was sealed and leak tested. Had it out for 2 weekend trips and it held up great. One night we camped in what sounded like a monsoon with no water issues. I parked the camper in the yard for the winter in November{no trees above it) and covered it with a new ADCO cover. I took the cover off last Saturday and surprise, surprise! I had water on the floor and obvious leakage from the AC. The AC unit dropped in the roof approx. 1-1 1/2 inches over the winter. This created a low spot where water pooled and worked its way inside. The interior and exterior roof wood is soaked. I took the light fixtures and speakers out of roof to try and determine extent of damage. What I did notice was the crunchy sound to the side of the AC when pushing up on roof. I just took my trailer to my dealer where my insurance adjuster and head service tech are going to look at it to determine what next!!! Based on what I am going through, be very wary of the area around your AC. The crunch of wood you mentioned should be a huge RED FLAG. I will update my reply once I have an idea what is going to be done with mine. Good luck and enjoy your 23B!!! BTW, if you are Pottsville, PA I am within 60 miles of you!!!
snobord38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

Hey, thanks for the response. I'm actually in Arkansas. Sorry to hear about your trailer. Was your caulking and stuff on the roof in good shape when you bought it? I had called Jayco and questioned them about that area, and they suggested that the water had probably come in from one of the corners and settle right in front of the A/C. We just had a monsoon here the day after I repaired the roof seams and like you no problems. I too have just put a cover on mine and have it sloped for the water to run away from the middle. I can't for the life of me figure out how a flat roof on a camper is a good idea! Keep me informed on what happens to yours. How was the condition of the rest of your trailer?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #4

All the caulking and seals were good. Dealer installed a new seal on AC to make me happy. Everything was great in the fall. We had a heavy snow here about 3-4 weeks ago. There is a good chance the weight of 8inches of wet, heavy snow caused the damage, collapse of the roof. Up to insurance to decide where I go from here!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

New 05 23B owner

Without getting into details, insurance declined my claim. We ended up going to the dealer we bought it from and they gave us a pretty good amount back in trade on a newer RV. Someone traded in a 2010 Jay Feather 23J that is immaculate. We ended up buying the 23J and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I thoroughly inspected the trailer and checked out the roof. The roof is solid and near looks better than a brand new roof. Previous owner was meticulous with his treatment of his 'girl'!!! So proud of his RV and his upgrades that he made sure the dealer passed on his contact info in case I have any problems, he is available to answer them!!!! That says a lot to me. Good luck with your 23B and Happy Camping!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord38 View Post
Without getting into details, insurance declined my claim. We ended up going to the dealer we bought it from and they gave us a pretty good amount back in trade on a newer RV. Someone traded in a 2010 Jay Feather 23J that is immaculate. We ended up buying the 23J and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I thoroughly inspected the trailer and checked out the roof. The roof is solid and near looks better than a brand new roof. Previous owner was meticulous with his treatment of his 'girl'!!! So proud of his RV and his upgrades that he made sure the dealer passed on his contact info in case I have any problems, he is available to answer them!!!! That says a lot to me. Good luck with your 23B and Happy Camping!!!
Hey, glad you got something worked out! I looked up the layout of the 23J, I think I like it better. Our situation has gotten worse. I was underneath the camper today a felt a rotted out floor underneath the hot water tank. The I found rotten floor door the other side from front to back from the wall to about a foot out. Not sure where the leak was on that side, the walls are solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk