Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

New 17C Exp-Port owner down in SE Texas

Posted this on the Newbie Forum , but wanted to get in here,
Just got a 2009 Jay Feather EXP-Port from a consignment lot in Houston,
Its like brand new condition, and we love it. At a bit over 2900 lbs dry its a breeze in our 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 and tow package. Wifes Lexus GX470 SUV pulls it good too, just would rather stick with the truck and not put the wear and tear on her "Baby". We have customized it with a pair of PUG's, cut reflextix for the bunk end windows, customized the interior with some basket style organizers for Bathroom and kitchen. Got a 19"LCD and devised a nice securing method for travel. Cleaned and applied a coat of Wax to exterior. One thing it didn't have is the Dinette Table which can be ordered for 188 shipped.. cut a piece of Plywood to use as the bed support if needed for now. Using a small fold table for Dinette.

This is our first RV of any kind so I will be no doubt asking questions on things that come up. We have 3 trips for a total of 7 days camping in the next 60 Days planned .

Could not repost the RV pics cause I already posted to Newbie Thread.
So here is our other form of Therapy..

Regards !

Dave E.
League City TX
2009 Jay Feather EXP PORT
2000 Silverado 5.3 T/V
Attached Thumbnails
photo (17)-1.jpg   ~0264050.jpg   IMG_0280.jpg   2010 Toy Run 078.jpg   photo.jpg  

Navydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

Welcome to this great site. I have the 17C and I just want to say you might want to stick with the small folding table. That is what we usually use even though we bought our 2,011 new and it came with the big table that takes up too much room. Of course, it is great when we use the bed while traveling, but a piece of plywood would work, too.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #3

Congrats! My wife has a GX 470- and LOVES it! No way she would ever let it tow anything- a reason she allowed me to upgrade our tv. And....just as a side note- stop having so much fun! Geeeezzzz! That boat looks like a blast, too! You are enjoying life- and thats great!!!!!
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Your truck should tow the 17c fine. I have an 08 Durango with a 4.7ltr. It tows our 17c fine even up the hills here in NH.
Attached Thumbnails
TV-with-go-kart.jpg  
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

3 trips under our belt

We have made our first 3 - 3 day trips to different State Parks and I can say I love this little trailer. One of the parks is right next to our lease and its a 5 hour drive. Trailer pulled great and also is small enough to make it down the trail to our lease. It never bottomed out and it will be nice not to freeze out this year during our hunts. We have learned alot so far and learn every trip. My Grey water/ Black water routine was a learning experience ! Dang that's nasty !
The trips were during 100 degree weather and it stayed nice and cool with the PUGS and Reflectix panels. Froze us out at night if we didn't keep the AC on a warmer temp.

After 2 times of dealing with non level sites and dealing with it I got some leveler blocks AND a 30 gallon ? Jerry can on wheels to dump grey water when there is no sewer. The ones you find at Campers World Etc . 140 dollars but I thing it will be worth it on our 3-4 day trips
I found out that the Grey water can fill up pretty quick with some Grand kids and guests showering and cooking

Looking forward to Beavers Bend/ Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma end of OCT for 5 days
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0082.jpg   IMAG0058-1.jpg   IMAG0055-2-2.jpg   IMAG0087.jpg   IMAG0068-1-2.jpg  

IMAG0086.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

How did you do that ?

I see you have a go cart hanging off the back
How did you attach that platform , if you don't mind me askin
I want to be able to tow our little 12 Avon Inflatable behind and want
to install a hitch. Its a modified Jet ski trailer and the boat with motor weighs 160 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
Your truck should tow the 17c fine. I have an 08 Durango with a 4.7ltr. It tows our 17c fine even up the hills here in NH.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

Glad you are enjoying your 17C. We're on our second season with our 17Z and it has been a great camper. We took it on trips from NC to FL, out the Outer Banks, the Blue Ridge Mountains and to Bowling Green KY this summer and still no problems. Agree with you about the gray water filling up pretty quick.

How did you secure the TV for traveling? I have been trying to figure that out so I don't have to keep putting it away when we travel.

Warren
wl_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #8

Hi Warren,

I used a strap from a carry on gym bag that I was tossin out.
It had a plastic clip on both ends and could be adjusted. I screwed in 2 small hanging hooks behind the TV and when I slide it back against the wall, I slip the clips over the hooks and it holds the flat panel secure . I angled the strap about 30 degrees to secure it better. It Works great and looks tidy. Let me know if you want a pic, but you probably get the idea.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

That's great idea. If you could include a pic that would be great as i would want to put the screws in the wrong spot.

Thanks again,

Warren
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #10

Warren,
Will get you some pics in the next day or so.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #11

TV strap setup

This setup holds the flat screen tight to the wall.
We drive into the Hunting lease down a rough trail and it stays put
Attached Thumbnails
tvstrap1.jpg   tvstrap3.jpg   tvstrap2JPG.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Thanks

Thanks

Warren
Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

Congrats we got our 2009 17c in May, just a few minor issues but love it have fun camping
Love Indiana State Parks 95% of our camping is done there
Wilson Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #14

Hello Navydave,
Sorry for a very late reply, just getting back onto the Jayco Forum. The rack is pinned in 4 places to 4 receivers welded to the frame. The frame is crossed braced between the 2 bottom receivers. Its all c-channel that I boxed in areas for strength (high bounce areas). It handles 6 bikes, or the go-kart. I just added a aluminum box that is removable for added outside storage. Every thing is pinned for easy removable or changing. This year I am making the sides removable so I can carry our generator when we boondock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydave View Post
I see you have a go cart hanging off the back
How did you attach that platform , if you don't mind me askin
I want to be able to tow our little 12 Avon Inflatable behind and want
to install a hitch. Its a modified Jet ski trailer and the boat with motor weighs 160 lbs
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

We use one of these: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...e-dining-table Picked it up on steepandcheap.com for $35 (bought two). We use this inside, it gives us more room and use the stock dining table as an outside table. The legs fold up, the top tools up and fits in a storage bag. We carry both roll up tables in the front storage compartment.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #16

nice cat!!! those are such nice boats for our area of Gulf!... welcome!

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote