Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

New 2010 17C Owner with a question..

Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read my question. This may be a dumb question as we just brought this critter home and are going to set up later, but anyway....I was looking at the support posts for the tents (not sure if that's what they are called) but they seem to be different lengths??? In everything that I have read they are supposed to be the same size beds on both ends, so why is one shorter than the other? Is something wrong or is this the way they are supposed to be (the poles)? Again, thank you for taking the time and I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but I was kinda baffled by them being different when both ends are supposed to be the same!?!?!
mck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

If your talking about the pole that goes at a 45, probably different do to where they attach on the frame.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

According to the3 specs, the 17C is supposed to have two queen beds, is there a chance the front and rear bunks are not installed identically whereby the poles would be different lengths?
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

I guess I didn't describe it well enough. It's the pole that supports the upper section of the tent (from inside)...essentially pushing out the upper part of the tent out and supporting the top....I will call it the rafter pole, per se... As I said, I haven't set it up myself yet, but will be doing so this evening. I guess I assumed they would be the same since both beds are the same....but I guess that's what i get for "assuming". But I noticed late last night after we got home with it that the two poles were different lengths. Now they can be adjusted by the push button holes (for lack of a better phrase for what they are actually called) but even when extended fully or shortened they are probably 6 to 8 inches different in length! I guess it may be something to see when I get home this evening to set it up, but it just seemed odd since the beds are the same size...
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

I understand what you are describing, we had the same poles on our popup. I do think the bunks might be installed on the box differently, hence the reason those poles are different lengths. When those bunks are fully open and the poles are installed, everything must be good if the canvas is appropriately taught.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

eng45ine - Gotcha! I was a little concerned when I saw that but we didn't have time to put up last night when we got home. We will set up this evening when we get home and hopefully all is well. I guess it will be obvious hopefully which one goes where!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #7

The front wall is angled, the back wall is not so there is a difference in length.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Grumpy - Thank you so much! It makes sense. It has been misty raining here since I got home so I didn't want to open the beds up and put them back up wet. I really appreciate your help! That would have driven my OCD, detail oriented mind crazy over night! That at least gives me some relief! THANK YOU!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

I would almost swear (almost!) that the front tent is larger than the rear. I cut some Reflectix to line the "windows" and the front sides were different from the back. I think that my support poles are pegged in different holes...whatever keeps the tent taut but not stretched.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

Yes the tent ceilings are a different length so the " Shepard's Pole" would be different lengths and the poles are also adjustable. When it's time to fold up the ends and you remove the " Shepard's Pole " you have to go outside and seperate that back brace from the canvas ( just let it fall inside to the bed platform ) then the canvas will just fall in so you can close it up.
Any other questions you might have just feel free to ask us.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
I would almost swear (almost!) that the front tent is larger than the rear.
But the beds are still the same size. The front tent is larger due to the angled front cap, thus the longer support pole.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

Grumpy, you didn't tell me I spelled it wrong it's ( Shepherd's Pole ). Guess I better stop after my 1st beer.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Grumpy, you didn't tell me I spelled it wrong it's ( Shepherd's Pole ). Guess I better stop after my 1st beer.
Didn't even get that far.... Besides as Andrew Jackson said:

"It is a d--n poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote