Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #1

New 2016 Jayco 17z Tongue Jack/No power All DC & Lights Dead

Hi all,
Not sure what I did wrong to my camper but I have a 2016 Jayco 17z with an electric tongue jack and cranked it off vehicle and a second later blew all 12v power to the camper. When I plug in everything works fine but without power everything is dead. No interior lights not even any power to the converter. I know it's either a fuse or a ground but there is no fuse on the hot lead of the battery. Not sure where to find the fuse. PS the fuse panel in the converter all fuses are fine. As I have read here there is a protection if you crank the tongue jack up too far but where is the fuse? Thanks.....very frustrated as this camper is maybe 10 days old.

cocokay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Maybe it is in the unit itself, but that is usual a 30 amp circuit breaker.
There should be a 30 amp fuse at the battery as they connect it directly to it.
Ground is a big problem with PTJ's. Just install a #10 ground wire from the PTJ motor to the batt. negative.

Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

This exact thing happened to me! I've been tracing down the wiring looking for a fuse near the battery without avail.

I came across this breaker (I think) that is bolted to the front of the frame. I wonder if this is the guy that is tripped and giving me an issue. (Picture attached). You can see the big wire loom going into the trailer.

Like you, I tested all the fuses inside the trailer and they are all fine. Next, I'll open the jack and look for its own fuse.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5414.jpg  
Old 04-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

I think there are 2 40 amp fuses somewhere around the convertor that protect it and would stop the 12 volt from feeding the trailer
Old 04-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
This exact thing happened to me! I've been tracing down the wiring looking for a fuse near the battery without avail.

I came across this breaker (I think) that is bolted to the front of the frame. I wonder if this is the guy that is tripped and giving me an issue. (Picture attached). You can see the big wire loom going into the trailer.

Like you, I tested all the fuses inside the trailer and they are all fine. Next, I'll open the jack and look for its own fuse.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!
Its hard to tell from the picture but that may be an automatic resetting fuse or it could be the manual reset type, look it over for a reset button., that may used in place of the usual 30 amp ATC fuse, is it located on the trailer side of the battery. Most jacks will have a 30 amp slow blow inline fuse running from the jack motor to the battery, you will have to locate it and give a visual inspection.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I think there are 2 40 amp fuses somewhere around the convertor that protect it and would stop the 12 volt from feeding the trailer
I think you are right because the battery is only reading 12.95 when plugged into shorepower. And when I unplug the trailer there is nothing that works on the trailer. Do you think the picture I posted is a fuse? I've never seen one like that, but I'm new to RVs.

All the ones inside the panel work and I couldn't find anything else in the front part of the trailer.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

I don't believe they are in the panel but around it somewhere ... there are some posts somewhere that allude to where they are located
Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Check for a blown reverse fuse

Check the fuses on the converter if you have a progressive one.
WOF Converter has them on the fuse panel.

A circuit breaker will reset itself.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

I spoke with a Jayco tech about this issue on Friday and he said that the camper has self resetting breakers and to look for a blown fuse. I have looked at the converter fuse which I believe is a 40 amp and fuse is fine. Also if it was the fuse in the converter the 12 volt would not work when plugged in. My dc works when plugged in.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #10

Did you find a fuse in the jack. I looked quickly but just took the 4 screws off the jack cover and I could not access the electrical lines. Someone suggested running a ground line direct to the battery. Let me know how you make out. I am going to call the dealer first thing in the morning.