Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

New 2016 Jayco 17z Tongue Jack/No power All DC & Lights Dead

Hi all,
Not sure what I did wrong to my camper but I have a 2016 Jayco 17z with an electric tongue jack and cranked it off vehicle and a second later blew all 12v power to the camper. When I plug in everything works fine but without power everything is dead. No interior lights not even any power to the converter. I know it's either a fuse or a ground but there is no fuse on the hot lead of the battery. Not sure where to find the fuse. PS the fuse panel in the converter all fuses are fine. As I have read here there is a protection if you crank the tongue jack up too far but where is the fuse? Thanks.....very frustrated as this camper is maybe 10 days old.
cocokay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Maybe it is in the unit itself, but that is usual a 30 amp circuit breaker.
There should be a 30 amp fuse at the battery as they connect it directly to it.
Ground is a big problem with PTJ's. Just install a #10 ground wire from the PTJ motor to the batt. negative.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

This exact thing happened to me! I've been tracing down the wiring looking for a fuse near the battery without avail.

I came across this breaker (I think) that is bolted to the front of the frame. I wonder if this is the guy that is tripped and giving me an issue. (Picture attached). You can see the big wire loom going into the trailer.

Like you, I tested all the fuses inside the trailer and they are all fine. Next, I'll open the jack and look for its own fuse.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5414.jpg  
Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

I think there are 2 40 amp fuses somewhere around the convertor that protect it and would stop the 12 volt from feeding the trailer
Old 04-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
This exact thing happened to me! I've been tracing down the wiring looking for a fuse near the battery without avail.

I came across this breaker (I think) that is bolted to the front of the frame. I wonder if this is the guy that is tripped and giving me an issue. (Picture attached). You can see the big wire loom going into the trailer.

Like you, I tested all the fuses inside the trailer and they are all fine. Next, I'll open the jack and look for its own fuse.

Its hard to tell from the picture but that may be an automatic resetting fuse or it could be the manual reset type, look it over for a reset button., that may used in place of the usual 30 amp ATC fuse, is it located on the trailer side of the battery. Most jacks will have a 30 amp slow blow inline fuse running from the jack motor to the battery, you will have to locate it and give a visual inspection.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I think there are 2 40 amp fuses somewhere around the convertor that protect it and would stop the 12 volt from feeding the trailer
I think you are right because the battery is only reading 12.95 when plugged into shorepower. And when I unplug the trailer there is nothing that works on the trailer. Do you think the picture I posted is a fuse? I've never seen one like that, but I'm new to RVs.

All the ones inside the panel work and I couldn't find anything else in the front part of the trailer.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

I don't believe they are in the panel but around it somewhere ... there are some posts somewhere that allude to where they are located
Old 04-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Check for a blown reverse fuse

Check the fuses on the converter if you have a progressive one.
WOF Converter has them on the fuse panel.

A circuit breaker will reset itself.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

I spoke with a Jayco tech about this issue on Friday and he said that the camper has self resetting breakers and to look for a blown fuse. I have looked at the converter fuse which I believe is a 40 amp and fuse is fine. Also if it was the fuse in the converter the 12 volt would not work when plugged in. My dc works when plugged in.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #10

Did you find a fuse in the jack. I looked quickly but just took the 4 screws off the jack cover and I could not access the electrical lines. Someone suggested running a ground line direct to the battery. Let me know how you make out. I am going to call the dealer first thing in the morning.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #11

I just checked that reverse polarity protection fuse I think it's in 40 amp. It's fine. There's absolutely no power to that panel at all I'm now thinking it's definitely a grounding issue or you might have to reach manually reset that breaker.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post

The picture posted is indeed the self resetting breaker. It is normally the first line of protection after the positive terminal on the battery. I just had to help a friend troubleshoot their trailer that had the exact same symptoms you had and it turned out to be the self resetting breaker. You can test it by disconnecting one side of it and then measuring the resistance, it should read very close to zero ohms. Your symptoms could also be caused by a bad battery connection (either on the positive or negative) The negative from the battery will usually be connected to the frame, often this forms a bad connection.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

UPDATE**************
Spoke with what I think is one of the best Jayco dealerships (cunningham campers Jeffersonville IN) and he knew immediately what the problem was....YES THE BREAKER on the tongue jack. If it is self resetting then the breaker is bad. I am going to test it with my volt meter. This is a warrantee issue that Jayco will cover if you have a newer unit like mine...I just don't want to wait the 2 plus weeks it takes to get in there. He said also breaker can be purchased at an auto supply store and is a 20amp.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocokay43 View Post
UPDATE**************
Spoke with what I think is one of the best Jayco dealerships (cunningham campers Jeffersonville IN) and he knew immediately what the problem was....YES THE BREAKER on the tongue jack. If it is self resetting then the breaker is bad. I am going to test it with my volt meter. This is a warrantee issue that Jayco will cover if you have a newer unit like mine...I just don't want to wait the 2 plus weeks it takes to get in there. He said also breaker can be purchased at an auto supply store and is a 20amp.
So I actually went to the parts store and bought two new ones. One for the Lippert Sway Command (the one that I posted a picture of yesterday) and the other for the Tongue Jack (also a 20A breaker, inside the tongue jack box). I replaced them both this morning and still nothing...

I also inspected the negative line and where it mounts to the frame. Having the enclosed underbelly added 5 minutes to the job (Haha). Attached is the picture of the ground mounting. Wonder if I should remvoe and grind down a little bit of paint to ensure that it has good contact?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss on this issue now. Can't really see any fuses on the wiring and I went back to the converter inside the trailer and all the fuses pass.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5423.jpg  
Old 04-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #15

Okay another update: for 2016 Jayco remove that front 30 amp fuse at the battery and it looks like the problem is that fuse is hidden underneath the seating area or the dining area in my Z 17. I didn't have a chance to test a breaker today but another guy called me and said look underneath the dining area either the right or the left one under the seating area and the 30 amp fuse should be in a covered box. he said most likely if I were to replace that fuse it'll solve the problem.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #16

Hey, I looked on mine and under the seating is the wiring that comes from the battery and into the coach, but those looms don't have a fuse.

I also tested the battery at my local auto store and the battery passed, and it should being brand new, but just in case.

What's odd is my fuse panels show 13.62 V, but the battery is only getting 12.9

Definitely out of ideas. Thinking of calling my extended warranty people for an on site call. Or setting up an appointment to drop it off... This sucks.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #17

Okay here was my fix. There's a 30 amp fuse running into the dining area that's towards the front bed near the propane. I opened up that seating area right by the hot water heater. You will see the bypass there and slightly around the corner to the right with all bunch of wiring will be a 30 amp fuse that's covered with a plastic cover it's rubber-like. That was my problem I blew the 30 amp fuse which killed all the DC power. I replace the fuse and have all power back. I hope you read this and I hope your problem is as simple as this.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Okay here was my fix. There's a 30 amp fuse running into the dining area that's towards the front bed near the propane. I opened up that seating area right by the hot water heater. You will see the bypass there and slightly around the corner to the right with all bunch of wiring will be a 30 amp fuse that's covered with a plastic cover it's rubber-like. That was my problem I blew the 30 amp fuse which killed all the DC power. I replace the fuse and have all power back. I hope you read this and I hope your problem is as simple as this.
Yup! You are the man for finding it!

On mine it was the loom coming into the coach from underneath under the dinette couch next to the bed. I saw the loom this afternoon but didn't see the fuse. With your instructions, I pulled the loom further out and there it was. Just swapped it and I'm good to go now.

Amazing job, thank you.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #19

I'm actually a woman, my name is Kathy. Glad I was of help to you. The dealer also suggested that I put an additional fuse on the front battery so that if you blow the fuse again it'll blow it there instead of tucked under the seats.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm actually a woman, my name is Kathy. Glad I was of help to you. The dealer also suggested that I put an additional fuse on the front battery so that if you blow the fuse again it'll blow it there instead of tucked under the seats.
Kathy, you are the WOMAN! Thank you again. Was that your dealer that was helping you? Mine was pretty helpless over the phone... Haha.