Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

New 23B Owner

Well, we've picked up our new TT :
We had a very nice 2200 mile round trip with "Little Feather" happily in tow on the return. We got 17.9 mpg outbound and 8.9 mpg on the return. The TV is our '03 Ford Expedition 5.4 (she's a thirsty little truck).
1st observation is the "starter kit" sewer hose is worthless. 10' long and nothing to secure it in the dump pipe. So for you beginners (like me) show up with a REAL sewer hose. I bought a Sewer Solution and so far I love it. I did get the 10' extension and it will reach 20'.

And a question. Where is the water heater bypass?

Cheers,
T_Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6395.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1898
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome Redhorse! The bypass should be near the water heater on the inside of the trailer and will include three valves.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As Lee stated most likely you have the three valve by-pass system (some manufactures also use a two valve system). The actual piped location of the valve and type of valve may very a little, but this is the basic principle of how the three valve system works:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I've seen the diagrams but can't find the valves. The heater comprtment is screwed shut and I haven't opened it up yet. I took a quick peek under the trailer but didn't spot it. A little more searching is in order.
Cheers,
T_
Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Perhaps another 23FB owner will chime in as to its exact location.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Thanks guys. I've seen the diagrams but can't find the valves. The heater comprtment is screwed shut and I haven't opened it up yet. I took a quick peek under the trailer but didn't spot it. A little more searching is in order.
Cheers,
T_
I have the X20E which it's just about the same camper but 3 feet shorter. Mine is under the plywood that is screwed down under one of the seat cushions.

Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

Jbwjbw, thx. That's where I thought I'd look next. I'll post an update when I've checked.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

I have an X23b. The valves are located under the port side seat in the dinette area. You'll need to unscrew the wood seat panel to access it. Three valve system.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

Congrats on the new 23B...we have an '06. My bypass valves are right next to the water heater under the bench seat on the "drivers side" of the dinette. My plywood lids, all 3 of them, were not screwed down. Makes for easy access to all the storage compartments and the drawer in case it gets stuck.

On our maiden voyage (we bought the camper used from a private individual) I noticed the water wasn't very hot. After looking all over on the outside of the water heater for a thermostat dial I looked inside and found the bypass valve opened. I closed it off and now you can cook macaroni with the water right out of the tap...just kidding but it is really hot!!

There is no temperature adjustment on my water heater, just a fixed thermostat that is schmucked onto the side of the tank. You can see it from the outside door.

Check out my threads in the mods section. I revealed some very underutilized storage and added a shore power inlet. You probably will too after your cord gets hopelessly wadded up in the inaccessable compartment that it is crammed into.

My next mods are as follows: 2 gallon captive air tank on the water system, add real drawers to the compartment next to the stove...mine has three cheesy low impact plastic totes on some aluminum channel slides, and build a mini flat panel door for the area above the radio.

If you get an opportunity, post a picture of the overhead cabinet next to the door. I'm considering building a wall cabinet to fit there but I'm afraid people might crack their coconut on it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Rusty, Mcfarm,
Thx mucho. Will look in under the bench. I've already started 'fussing' at the power cord. Have seen many posts re: installing the plug there.
Mc farm, the cab next to the door has the radio/CD player installed there. I think earlier versions had a cab there and tv on a shelf below. My tv is mounted below the stereo next to the door. I will be out of town this week but will try to remember to take the pic soon. Your descr of the 'cheesy' totes is interesting, ours has nothing in the cabs but the shelves. Thinking about a sliding tray of some kind. My water heater is adjustable and I agree that it will cook macaroni with tap water.
Cheers,
T_
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #11

Congratulations RedHorse1!!! We just traveled from Phx to Des Moines and back with three boys. We got 10 mpg on the way home pulling with our 5.7 (3)? Silverado. Except when I drove. Then we got 8.5. . Hubby never let me drive again after that.... We picked up an X18D and camped home. It was fabulous.

Happy Trails!!

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #12

PhxKim,
Wow! PHX to Des M. GoogleMaps says 1488miles. Now that's a hike. we travelled HOU to Orlando for ours, a mere 1100 miles. This is our first TT and I was a bit stressed over picking it up so far from home but we had no troubles and enjoyed our trip. The Expe seemed happy galoomping along at 65 so I set the cruise and just let her go. I did drop out of cruise for the high bridges and overpasses tho.

Happy trails indeed!
Cheers,
T_
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
The Expe seemed happy galoomping along at 65 so I set the cruise and just let her go. I did drop out of cruise for the high bridges and overpasses.
We have only towed our boat before and never dealt with such a heavy load before. Was your Expe revving high RPMs at 65? Seems like our Chevy was at 3000rpm at 60 and it wasn't until 65+ that it dropped down. But then it sucked gas like the government sucks money. Seems like 60 was our magic number but then we were passes by semi-trucks all the time. It was embarrassing.

Thanks, Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

She would shift into OD on level roadway and was running a little south of 2k on the tach. When the OD was off it would run about 3k. At 65mph I was passing very few vehicles (mostly horse-drawn ice cream carts).
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #15

Well, found the bypass, right where is was supposed to be. Seems odd that the heater compartment lid is screwed down but screwed down it was.
Thanks for the suggestions.

McFarmAll,
Is this what you want?
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6402.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1921

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6403.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1922
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #16

Yup, those are the shots I was looking for, thank you! As I suspected the cabinet is smaller in width and depth so that it wouldn't be (or seem to be) sticking out into the aisleway.

There is underutilized space above your radio, I'll bet. I removed the flat panel above my radio which is above the sink, installed a couple of cleats on the sides and back then made a shelf board out of some of the plywood that I removed from the base cabinet next to the door, under the TV shelf.

This winter, I will make a small flat panel door to put over the opening. Heck, I'll probably make a wall cabinet like yours for some additional storage space.

Do you find that your TV gets hot or splashed with spaghetti sauce being on the same level as the cooktop?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #17

mcfarmall,
I've wondered what's above the radio. I expect to find wires from the radio/DVD and the tank level and the two switches for slider/awning. At this point we seem to have enough "inside" storage. What I find is I'm a little challenged on "outside" storage. I'm still new to this and am moving stuff around to use the space I've got wisely. I'd like to add one of the pickup boxes to the front but I expect the battery would have to be relocated to that box which I'd prefer not to do. Still thinking that one through tho.
Good question about the tele. We haven't done enough cooking yet to tell if it will be a problem. I've wondered about it also. It is on an arm which will allow it to be positioned away from the stove a bit if necesary.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #18

Because of this post, I decided to look at the water heater compartment in my X23b. I was happy to see that there's enough extra room to install a water accumulator tank. Not so sure about the dimensions of commercial ones, but a 4" PVC pipe approximately 10" tall will make a 2 liter tank. http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/06/10/rv...er-accumulator

I'll post it on the mods, hopefully with a link to before/after video of the pump in operation.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #19

Congratulations! Enjoy! we have enjoyed our 23b
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote