Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryKim View Post
We traded in our 2011 19H for this very reason. We noticed the floors were soft in certain areas at the end of our first camping season. Last spring we took it in to be repaired under warranty and it was not able to be fixed at the dealer. The luan/foam/luan sandwich construction was causing it. The top layer of luan was compressing into the foam. It was noticeable when you stepped on it and you could actually see the edge of the luan under the vinyl. It was becoming soft in 3 areas, at the doorway, at the stove/sink area and by the sofa. They were going to send it back to Jayco for the repairs as the entire floor needed to be pulled up and then they were going to put another layer of luan down. Originally it was supposed to be ripped up and seamed in the bathroom door way which was unacceptable to us. It was a brand new trailer and we didn't want a seam in the floor. Also because the floor is done first and everything is laid on top of it there would have to be quarter round installed on all edges of the floor. We ended up trading it in. We felt this was a big thing to go wrong with a new trailer and didn't want to chance it once it was out of warranty.
This has been an ongoing problem for years with the ultralites and the luan/foam sandwich floors industry wide. That was one reason I went with a Jayflight over a lighter trailer because the Jayflights use 5/8" plywood floors. Not only are they stronger, they are much easier to repair if necessary because there are joists every 16" on center to support the plywood if a piece had to be cut out from water damage, etc. There are almost always compromises made when weight is reduced....

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #22

Yep, that's also how our Starcraft floor is made, had the same thoughts. Would be much easier to fix if need be. It does make the Travelstar hybrids a little heavier, but not much.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #23

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I contacted Jayco on Monday, September 16 via their online customer service form. Received an email the same day saying my concerns were forwarded to the appropriate customer service rep and they would contact us. So far, have not heard a word. From some of the feedback I am reading, I am beginning to think this is going to be an uphill battle. One person replied that the dealer contacted Jayco and the problem was within their acceptable standards. How can that be? I've talked to a few owners of the same trailer I have, a hybrid 23B, and some have been in my trailer, and all say there is something wrong with the floor and they have not experienced this softness / bending at the floor seams. Convenient for Jayco to say this problem, in a brand new trailer, is within their standards. I have made a huge investment in my RV, as you all have, the second new Jayco trailer I've purchased within four years, and will not accept this being within acceptable standards, if that is what they tell me. As I said, I have other owners of 23B's and other owner of ultra-lite Jayco's report that their floor is not like this - so there certainly is a problem.

Thanks again everyone .. I appreciate this forum.
jaycocaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Let me start by saying this isn't inherent to a composite floor, it's inherent to JAYCO composite floors. I had a 2011 Forest River Class C before my current unit - it had a 3" composite floor that moved the same or LESS then the plywood decking on my Eagle (which barely moves even when the kids are chasing each other!) The difference is in the thickness of luan used, top and bottom, and the spacing of the floor joists. Sometimes it seems to save literally 10 pounds of extra tubular aluminum floor bracing Jayco will place a joist every two feet. Compare that to a Rockwood Roo and the diagram of their composite floor - it's thicker and the joists are no more then 16" OC.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #25

Floor Joists? I can see the luan/foam/luan sandwich underneath my kitchen sink by the wheel well. There is a small space there by the wheel well that I can feel the floor. Where are the floor joists? Underneath my trailer there are no floor supports across the floor underneath. I was just out washing the trailer today and underneath i only have the main frame and one or two supports going across, but not near the floor. From the front of the trailer to the back, there does not appear to be any floor bracing. Are they inside the floor? When I look underneath I just see the black flooring and I can see the seams where two pieces meet. Is this normal? Thanks
jaycocaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #26

The aluminum framework is inside the floor, it is all glued and pressed together. I also noticed the lack of cross members between the frame rails. It sounds to me like your floor is delaminating, I would keep pushing Jayco and your dealer to get this fixed.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #27

I just got a reply from Jayco when I asked them about what the dealer said about it being normal.

Quote:
It sounds like the softness in the floor is attributed to customer use, which is typical with this type of floor in a high traffic area. I will note this in your unit file for future reference. I don't believe there is any need for concern here and would continue using with no worries.
So I guess I am just going to have to wait until I fall through the floor to see if they will fix it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Hi all

Our new 2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221 has the very same thing going on with the floor, I called Jayco and they said that they have had others with the same problem, they are going to take up the linoleum and overlay the floor with 1/4" plywood and over lap the existing seams, and then put down new linoleum. The said this is what they have been doing and it does a good job.
Hi All

Here's a update on our soft floor. Jayco took out everything on the inside to the bare walls, then took up the linoleum, overlaid the floor with 1/4" hardwood plywood over lapping the existing seams, and put down new linoleum. Rock solid.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #29

We are getting a soft spot in front of the sink with maybe a 1/4" of deflection. I sure when its time I will just pull up the dinette seating area and lay 1/4" plywood and re-carpet. Not much I can do since its going on 9yrs old and sure aint going to pay to have this done.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #30

I'm in preliminary stages of shopping for a hybrid. The X19H looks like it will fit our needs but this issue about floor construction is concerning. Has Jayco not taken steps to improve the design?

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote