Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville
Posts: 49
If asked I'd steer buyers away from sandwich construction floors. For new to camping shoppers one way to figure this out would be to find this thread.

At the time I bought in Sep, 2009, my gross weight limit was 3,800 lbs and tongue weight limit 500 lbs. The 2008 Jayco 17c Ex-port was the smallest, lightest camper we could find with a full service, 3 am, bathroom. It was rated better than competition and had the advantage of smooth, easily maintained surfaces. (My gas truck is rated for 5,050 lbs towing and sources said to pull no more than 75% of that number.)

Reviewing that decision focused on the 3 am bathroom and a planned 7 week summer camping trip and others, I now believe I purchased (used) the best of a fundamentally flawed type of camper if I wish to keep it many years, which I do.

We like camping, but increasingly it looks like a new camper and a new tow truck to remain on the field of play. Poowy.
__________________

Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Interesting thread. These comments apply to older trailers. Certainly not to any trailer under warranty.
Not so with ours, it was a new 2014 and under warranty. The first trip out the floor started getting real soft and went down hill from there. I've talked to others that have the same problem as well.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
VicS1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Not so with ours, it was a new 2014 and under warranty. The first trip out the floor started getting real soft and went down hill from there. I've talked to others that have the same problem as well.
Changed to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Interesting thread. These comments related to possible repair options apply to older trailers. Certainly not to any trailer under warranty. I would pursue warranty if applicable.
Sorry for any confusion.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #54
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville
Posts: 49
Thank you. Clever idea to put a plate and bolt under a cabinet, run through the floor and through a new metal support that is held at the other end by another through bolt & plate.

Another thought is to use aluminum supports when adding any. I live in NASCAR fabrication country where this skill exists.

A concern is if I support a soft spot here, another there, will a third begin where not supported? Where does this sandwich stuff work? I'll think about taking up as much existing, failing product as I can and replacing with maybe an aluminum tray and sheet of something.

My next trick is to take portable scales and weigh a sheet of 1/4 plywood. It is raining out and that may be all I can do today.
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
VicS1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rader View Post
Thank you. Clever idea to put a plate and bolt under a cabinet, run through the floor and through a new metal support that is held at the other end by another through bolt & plate.

Another thought is to use aluminum supports when adding any. I live in NASCAR fabrication country where this skill exists.

A concern is if I support a soft spot here, another there, will a third begin where not supported? Where does this sandwich stuff work? I'll think about taking up as much existing, failing product as I can and replacing with maybe an aluminum tray and sheet of something.

My next trick is to take portable scales and weigh a sheet of 1/4 plywood. It is raining out and that may be all I can do today.
I can't answer your questions about what will happen with a soft spot here and there, or the exact construction of your floor structure.

My approach would be to deal with the known problem areas and see where it goes. Unless the OEM design is so seriously lacking as to result in catastrophic failure (I doubt it) you can deal with new problems when (if?) they arise. You are not likely to increase the resale value of your older camper. My goal would be good serviceability with minimal effort.

The areas under cabinets and other hidden places should have seen the least stress so should work fine with plates. You can always increase the size or number of plates if crushing is a concern. My experience with my added plates and supports is that they don't interfere any in the dead storage areas.

Aluminum sounds great. Price is sometimes prohibitive. A possible installation concern when the aluminum bridges the steel frame would be galvanic action over time.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #56
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville
Posts: 49
I'm to the point of going under to see what I have. I have light rain all day so maybe tomorrow will jack up and roll under and take pictures. With pictures we can keep this tread going another week!

My idea after the pictures is to cut the linoleum floor and see what the top of the sandwich looks like. Pray it simple like tossing down some fitted boards and rolling on?
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #57
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville
Posts: 49
About buying new, I bought used but still under warranty. The warranty handled fixing our pop out tents. I was happy Jayco and the dealer were so responsive.

If I have to replace we'll start by looking new but probably buy used.
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,499
If you do apply new plywood to the floor, I would try and place the joints over the existing support structure, rather than placing a join at the mid point of the support. Baltic Birch 1/4" is 5 ply, much stronger than other 1/4" ply material. If you can handle the weight the 3/8" BB would be even stronger. Also BB comes in 5' X 5' sheets which should make placing joints over support somewhat easier. A floor can be structurally sound and still have some give to it. This may be the case in your situation, no matter what you do. Good Luck and do keep us posted. .
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #59
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rader View Post
I'm to the point of going under to see what I have. I have light rain all day so maybe tomorrow will jack up and roll under and take pictures. With pictures we can keep this tread going another week!

My idea after the pictures is to cut the linoleum floor and see what the top of the sandwich looks like. Pray it simple like tossing down some fitted boards and rolling on?
Perhaps a new thread should be opened with your project and progress as there are now many posts regarding your soft floor issue in these older threads. Just a suggestion...
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Secret Cove
Posts: 10,470
The moderator blood runs deep indeed Crabby! An excellent suggestion, especially as the pics roll in.
__________________

__________________
2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" (sold)DrawTite,12,000 lbs. 2017 Jayco 212 QBW BAJA (bought)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.