Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

New owner walk through advice

I am completely new to travel trailers, just purchased my first one - a 2018 x23b. The dealership said they will give me a walk through at delivery and show me how everything works. I'm worried I won't remember everything, and/or won't know what to ask or look for. Any advice? Questions to ask? Things to look for?
Thanks.
cvh_camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

we are new to or travel trailer this year also. we had an older pop up but there are many different things. our representative told us we could video anything we wanted during the walk through as it is a lot of information. some of the stuff makes sense and is common knowledge but other things are abit more technical. What I have found is that don't be afraid to ask questions wherever you go to camp. that is where we have gained the most useful and helpful info. learn the basics of the leveling and hookup and then like a new phone, play with it and ask questions. most campers will be your best resource. Enjoy your time out there!! also, keep looking and asking questions here. so much good info.
Bruze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #3

We graduated from a tent trailer to a travel trailer in February. I had a lot of concerns as you do now. There was a lot of information on our walk through and I had no idea how I was going to remember it all. All I can say is go out and enjoy yourself with your new trailer when it arrives. Soak up as much information as you can on your walk through. When you get home read through your owners manual and if none of it makes sense ask a question here. There are many knowledgeable people here. Most important thing is have fun. They are not as difficult as they seem.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #4

Agree with all previous posts. Both the campgrounds and this forum are invaluable for good information. (I’ve had some of my best educational chats at the campground dumping stations with other campers. The conversations really flow... )
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Just about anything you can't remember is recorded in a video on Youtube. I can't think of any RV component's operation that isn't covered there. Great source if you are a visual learner.

Also, videos on about a thousand things that (s)he will forget to show you on the walkthrough.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Walk Through

There should be PDI walk through on the web.Be sure to get up on the roof check it out!Look underneath the camper make sure everything is sealed up.Is spare tire at the correct pressure?A sample PDI should help a lot!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

Good advice - thanks everyone. I'm probably overthinking it. Need to remember to relax and have fun - which is the whole point of getting the trailer!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

I would just make sure everything is operational before you hitch up and roll out of there. Every light, every water fixture, propane appliance, etc. If you know for sure that everyhting was operational when you left, it will give you the confidence to not question yourself if you don't remember something. And as bankr63 said, most everything is available on Youtube these days. A night or two of camping in your driveway will also help, but if you don't have a 30A RV receptacle at your house, don't run the A/C! Whatever you can do as a dry run before you actually go to a campground will allow you to spend more time camping, not researching.
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh_camping View Post
Good advice - thanks everyone. I'm probably overthinking it. Need to remember to relax and have fun - which is the whole point of getting the trailer!
I don't mean to rain on your camping plans, BUT, IMO, you need to do a thorough PDI before you begin relaxing. You must know that everything in the trailer works as it should. You certainly don't want to be doing everything correctly after you leave the dealer and then find things don't work as they should.

A thorough PDI will take a couple of hours, not a few minutes. There is a PDI list on this site that should help.

You are completely new to travel trailers and there is a lot to learn about the water systems (getting water in, heating it, using it, and dumping it), electrical systems (12volt and 120volt), propane (furnace, stove, water heater, refrigerator), setting the trailer up in a campsite and leveling it, and ... etc., etc., etc.

I suggest, too, that you first 'camp' somewhere close to home, or even 'camp driveway'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

Newbie here - what is PDI?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Pre-Dealer Inspection. Actually an automotive dealership term, and really is not what you are doing on a walkthrough of an RV, but we all use the term interchangeably.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Pre-Dealer Inspection. Actually an automotive dealership term, and really is not what you are doing on a walkthrough of an RV, but we all use the term interchangeably.
Thanks. I'll look for the list.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Take a clipboard and legal pad, and take notes. This is YOUR time, so any thing at all that you don't understand, ask them to repeat it. Take pictures with your camera or phone, of where hidden things are like the water pump. Get to the back of the water heater and let them explain how it works, and how to bypass it for winterization. Open the fuse/breaker box and see what is where in there. But by all means, make it an adventure. It should be educational and fun, NOT stressful. Then when there's any questions that come up........there's US! Congratulations!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Pre-Delivery Inspection
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:

PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I don't mean to rain on your camping plans, BUT, IMO, you need to do a thorough PDI before you begin relaxing. You must know that everything in the trailer works as it should. You certainly don't want to be doing everything correctly after you leave the dealer and then find things don't work as they should.

A thorough PDI will take a couple of hours, not a few minutes. There is a PDI list on this site that should help.

You are completely new to travel trailers and there is a lot to learn about the water systems (getting water in, heating it, using it, and dumping it), electrical systems (12volt and 120volt), propane (furnace, stove, water heater, refrigerator), setting the trailer up in a campsite and leveling it, and ... etc., etc., etc.

I suggest, too, that you first 'camp' somewhere close to home, or even 'camp driveway'.
I STRONGLY AGREE with OldmanAZ
Especially on the through PDI (which stands for PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION)
If possible do this before you actually pay for the trailer.
Do not let the dealer rush you thru this.
My PDI took a little over 3 hours. Sales person got impatient, told me they only allow for 1/2 hour to do this. I told him he could leave for now and I will come get him when I need him again, I looked at and tested everything. Went up on the roof and checked to make sure all the screws had a good layer of DAP Sealant on them. All covers (AC, Refrigerator vents, other vents, and skylights) had a good layer of DAP around them and no screws were exposed.
Noticed my bathroom door was crooked and could see between the door and the stop plate and if you looked at the right angle see the person inside. The dealer put foam rubber down the stop plate bar. The plastic screw cover across the top of the slide did not cover all the screws (it was about a foot too short) had the dealer replace this. There was a very small tear in the vinyl at the top of the ladder where the top bunk is. Dealer ordered a replacement. Make sure the water pump works, All spigots work properly and so on.
Also found one of my blinds had a frayed string and the dealer ordered a whole new blind.

Long story short, It is much better to find the issues before leaving the dealer than finding the issues later and getting the trailer back to the dealer.

Here is a link to a very through PDI Checklist: Read it thoroughly.
New Trailer PDI Checklist

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

We had a couple of hours for our PDI but since we were doing a trade in; had to leave the new one and reschedule a time to pick it up and drop off the old. Went home and another list of questions popped into my head which I added to our notebook of notes from the first 'walk through'. Went back and spent about another hour - 1 1/2 hours with our tech. Well worth it. I'm sold on the 'two step' PDI!
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry. I don't know how to make a link for this but look under...

Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
PDI (Pre-delivery Inspection for purchasing RV's) Checklist with bullets - updated

There's tons of information there.

If you look on this site, you'll encounter posts where folks were seriously disappointed when, on their first trip, they found the furnace didn't work, or the air conditioning didn't work, or the water pump didn't work, or the water heater didn't work, or the refrigerator didn't work on gas (or didn't work on electric), or ...

In many cases the dealer could have corrected the issue easily and quickly, but it was not discovered during the PDI (if there even was a PDI). The results were often a camping trip that fell short of expectations leaving the new owners unhappy with their new RV.

Yes, the dealer should check out the entire trailer. The reality seems to be that most do not. Sadly, as a new owner, the responsibility is on you to verify your RV works as it supposed to.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #19

Pay attention on how to fold up (close) the tent ends properly.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #20

Found it http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ted-36094.html

Great list. Thanks everyone!