Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

New to Site looking for info on X23B

Hello all,

I found the site today and joined!
I have a 1996 1007 Jayco that has been in the family since new. We have just past the 22nd year that we have been camping with it! I have always liked the Jayco products. I love the simplicity of the pop up, but now being past 50 I am looking for something with less set up. I have always liked the X23B. I have followed the design changes over the years.

I am looking to buy used X23B around 2012 or up depending on price.

Does anyone know what year they changed the bunk ends to be reverse
con caved? I have heard they did this to help with leak issues.

Also can anyone tell me what are common issues with 23B's when buying used?

By design there will be more possible problems than the simple pop up. any information would be appreciated.
Krazyboutcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #2

Can't help with the 23b but welcome from Georgia.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #3

Welcome from Alabama.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Welcome!

There is nothing special about the X23B from other Jayco hybrids other than it's floor plan. We have the X20E which is a slightly smaller version of the X23B.

I'm not understanding what you mean by the bunk ends being "reverse con caved". We had a '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a for 10 years prior to buying our '13 X20E. Aside from different locking clamps and using wires when the bed is expanded, the door itself is pretty much the same. in 15 years of owning hybrids we have never experienced bunk end leaks.

Common issues are pretty much the same as any other travel trailer. You need to inspect the roof regularly, like twice a year, for dried and cracked dicor. Also all other seams. I treat the seals on the bunks ends twice a year so they remain soft and pliable.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

I can not help you with that model, but I am sure you will get a few comments from members that have what you are looking for.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

22 years with the same unit! That deserves some kind of virtual award!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Welcome aboard. I to am not sure what you mean by reverse concave.

Things to look for;

Inspect all joints and the roof. Water is their arch enemy. Look for any signs of water leaks. If you see any run.

Our 2012 has an arched roof. That is good, the older style was flat, and the weight of the ac sagged the roof. And caused water pooling around the ac, and leaks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

By the reverse camber bunks I mean they changed the style around 2012 to help prevent uneven doors that caused leaks. If you take a look at a 2012 Jay Feather brochure on Jayo's site you will see they started using them around 2012. in 2013 they started using magnum truss roof from flat style. You mentioned yours was curved roof on 2012, was yours a later 2012 model?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

OK, I sort of understand. Yes, our 2003 had a flat roof. Our 2013 has a slight dome in the roof, flat in the front but gradually domed in the back. I'm not understanding though how that's related to the bunk doors. I have never read about any issues about uneven doors on Jayco hybrids. As I said, we had our 2003 for 10 years and had zero issues with it aside from the dicor on one seam drying out. And that's normal for any trailer. I am aware of a roof issue that caused door leaks on another brand. This was a unit owned by a relative. I do know recall what brand but it was not a Jayco. The dealer ended up buying the unit back from them.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #10

Sorry if I was confusing. Two different topics. They are simply design changes over the years. I am looking to buy a used X23B around 2012 or up. I have seen from Jayco's information that the bunk ends changed around 2012 and the magnum truss roof started in 2013. I have heard that the bunk ends doors were made flat for years, over time laying on them they bowed. Then when you closed them there could be a gap causing sealing issues. They reverse bowed them so when laying on them over time they would stay bowed, or be closer to flat eliminating a gap. At this pointy I am trying to figure out what model year has the best upgrades or features for my price range. I am looking at a 2012 and 2014. Leaning towards the 2014 because it has the magnum truss roof instead of I believe flat roof on 2012, or maybe curved? but not the magnum on a 2012 , it seems to still be the laminated style.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyboutcampin View Post
I have heard that the bunk ends doors were made flat for years, over time laying on them they bowed. Then when you closed them there could be a gap causing sealing issues. They reverse bowed them so when laying on them over time they would stay bowed, or be closer to flat eliminating a gap.
Not sure where you heard that but our '03 had flat bed doors as does our '13. Never heard of them bowing by laying on them. They are VERY sturdy and rigid. I wouldn't worry about it. At least this is not an issue on Jaycos.

I do like the slight dome to the roof on our 2013. Also the older hybrids had 2 roof seams with screws holding a molding down. That moldings are covered by Dicor. I believe 2012 on up there is only one such seam. One less place to develop leaks due to dried out Dicor.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #12

We have a 2014 X23B. We have travelled coast to coast and from Texas to Alaska. Here are my observations. The shower is useless. Water goes everywhere. Ours was initially very hard on tires, until we had the axles aligned. It must have come from the factory that way because we never hit any big potholes or jumped any curbs.

Roof inspection last year revealed some cracked caulk which was repaired with some wide eternabond tape.

The awning collects water when rolled up which results in mildew over the summer.

All of these trailers have issues from time to time so don't take this as we are unhappy with out X23B. We love it. All the electrical components have worked flawlessly, it tows extremely we'll with our 5.7 liter Tundra, no leaks, the AC takes a while to catch up after a long days drive when it is hot, but once it catches up it works fine, easy to winterize.

Hope you find one and enjoy it as much as we have.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #13

Ed thanks for the information. I have been looking at the 23B for years always liking the floor plan and space. I would agree the weak area is the shower. I read some people have soft spots in floors near the kitchen and bath. Unsure if that is two separate issues like water in bathroom, or leaking around AC, and high traffic areas in kitchen and lamites are coming apart? have you heard of this issues?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #14

Have not experienced soft floors in our camper. Would not be surprised though if they are using the shower. We tried it one time and haven't used it since. On the other hand we occasionally do some off-grid camping in national forests and have used the outdoor shower several times.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #15

I have a 19XUD hybrid and we had problems with the shower because of the crappy leaking shower curtain. Figured out a mod using PVC and installed a shower curtain rod that can use traditional hangers, with an inner vinyl liner and outside shower curtain. No more water problems.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1574.jpg  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
If i was ever to go back to a hybrid, the X23B would be at the top of my list ....... the floorplan that has stood the test of time! Been there since day one of the Kiwi, and not a whole lot of change when it comes to the floorplan. The Jayco Hybrid has. Changes in the roof, changes in the frame, the cables holding the bunks instead of the poles. Early to midlife Jayco Hybrids suffered from water damage, mainly due to lack of maintenance. No, totally due to lack of maintenance. The leaky A/C seals were common ( u need to tighten bolts from time to time), plus the cracking dried up dicor silicone at front and back because original designs had the rear and front fiberglass panels meeting the rubber roof with a silicone sealing between the two. The bubbled inside ceiling panels helped one realize there was a water issue! If you are buying a used one, look at the shelves at both ends near the ceiling..... look for the bubbles. Look inside the storage areas for discolored linolium flooring. Thats a dead giveaway. The bed ends are the least of your worries ...... they have been able to take the weight since day one. It's the leaks, but a well maintained 23b can be a great buy and bring you many years of fun. As for the shower ...... i have owned many Jaycos, and the only shower i have ever used was this summer ..... the outside shower. I for one will never use my inside shower ..... water and RV's are like oil n water ..... use the campground showe, or heck, use the outside with a shelter
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #17

Not knowing what your price range is, but we bought a brand new 2018 X23B on 30 Jun for just under $21K. I've seen others posting here paying under that by a fair margin. Don't sell yourself short, if your can go 12-15 for a used unit, might be able for a full on new one. Having the peace of mind that you have a factory warranty is worth it IMHO. We camped with our little Viking pop up for 8 years, and have been shopping for an X23B for the last 5. When we got home from Memorial Day weekend this year, my DW said "we're buying a new camper." I did not argue, just cleaned the Viking up and started advertising it. Sold it within a week for $1000 less than I paid for it 8 years ago. After it sold we started seriously shopping and found our deal. We could not be happier with our new trailer. I do have a couple issues that will be addressed over the winter.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #18

Have both a 2010 20E & 2016 23B out in the yard. Sold the 20E to my brother when going bigger. Both good units. The biggest thing I noticed was the difference in the factory construction. Much better on the 20E. Very few problems from day one where as the I've had to fix a multitude of small things on the 23B that really should never had come from the factory. First trip , the valances all fell of the walls. Held on by one stripped screw at the top. Looked at the 20E and it had 3 screws across the top. The dealers fix was to "use bigger screw " so I quit using their service and did all the stuff myself. So many problems from the factory nowdays. All the forums read the same, get them out and let the dealers worry about them. 2 year warranty is a bit of a joke as they cannot get to you for 4-5 months so be sure to have the entire list if you take it back. Nowdays , I believe if you can't do most repairs yourself, you could be in trouble. Back to the 23B, nice floorplan and mostly good. Jack knife couch is a problem as its very uncomfortable and I'm looking at replacing it if possible. As far as hybrids go, I don't think you will find a better one at this time. My brother loves the 20 E too and all is still going good with it.
bigjake392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #19

You'll be fine with either 2012, 2014, or 2018....Like others said, just inspect the used ones carefully. We have a '04 23b and still going strong. No plans to get rid of it anytime soon. One day we'll upgrade to a newer model that don't still require the poles to hold up the bunk-ends....
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #20

First off I cannot take credit for this shower curtain mod that solves the problem of water getting all over the place.
It requires 2 items from Home Depot at less or around $10.00. One is a ( U Mount Channel ) and the other one is a ( Backer Rod ).
You attach the Backer Rod to the wall vertically about 5-1/2" then lightly push in your shower curtain and hold it in with the Backer Rod.
Be back in a minute with another photo and SKU #s for you.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg