Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

New X17Z Owner

Just got my X17Z about a week ago and am excited to go on my first trip in 2 weeks. I am currently adding items to make my life easier. Added a 5" pvc fence post for housing my Rhino 15' sewer hose. It is a shame that the storage compartment for the hose is so narrow and only holds a 10' hose. I have a power tongue jack coming today, that will make my life easier. I traded in a Coachmen popup and love the ease of setting up this new TT. I have been browsing through the threads and now have a lot of ideas for extra storage, TV mounting and LED lighting. However, if anyone has any mods for adding some storage capacity to the rear bumper, I am all ears.

I look forward to reading and contributing to this forum.
kjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Hi and welcome to the forum! We are relatively new too. We have a 2014 x17z and really like it. As to your question about rear bumper storage, that's where we have a 5" pvc post that holds our sewer hose which sounds like you have too. We've added a power Jack also which is a big help. I also replaced the bath fan with a fantastic fan and vent cover. Big difference in drawing air through! Something minor was adding insect screens to the furnace, fridge, and hot water heater vents on the side of the unit. These were not expensive items but a friend suggested it would be a good idea.
Best of luck and happy camping!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Congratulations on the trailer and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks Tigger1, I am planning on the screens and possible the fantastic fan. I actually mounted a 5' pvc post to the front of the trailer behind the propane tanks. Just big enough to hold the hose.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

Congratulations. We just got a x17z as well. Love it so far...
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

So what brand of power jacks are you all using? I'd like to get one for my 17z but there are so many and the prices are all over the place too!
Rlc1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #7

There are lots of good choices. We bought the Barker VIP 3000 and installed it ourselves. It was not difficult but I had to grind the edges down a bit of the round base of the power Jack in order for it to fit snugly into the triangular frame. Not a big deal with a wheel grinder.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #8

I bought a Ultra Fab 3500 lb lift. Got a good deal from etrailers. I too, had to cut down the base by about 1/2" to get it to fit around the welded plate on the A-frame.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Congrats! Love mine!
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #10

I ended up buying one at dual king that had the triangle mount. Had to grind just about a 1/4" off the front to fit down on the a frame. Works great! I thought I'd try it for $99. Now we'll see if it holds up. 😜
Rlc1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
Hi!
As a new X17A owner and new to trailers overall, I have some stupid questions related to the ideas here.

1. How do you mount 5" PVC to your trailer?
2. Are there any power jacks that actually fit the trailer? I don't have a way to grind anything.

Thanks!
Leann
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

For the pvc, I used 36" zip ties until I get around to a more permanent solution. As for the power jack, I think it is going to be hit and miss because of the metal support bar that is welded to the front of the a-frame. Congrats on the tt and good luck on hunting down a power jack.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #13

Jayco's web site say this: "Power Package (N/A X17A and X17Z), Power awning and power tongue jack". So there must be a reason they couldn't put one on an X17A.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannDi View Post
Hi!
As a new X17A owner and new to trailers overall, I have some stupid questions related to the ideas here.

1. How do you mount 5" PVC to your trailer?
2. Are there any power jacks that actually fit the trailer? I don't have a way to grind anything.

Thanks!
Leann
There are many ways to attach the PVC and I've learned from kjaeger that you can put it on the front frame which is a good idea. We chose to attach ours to the rear bumper. Here's a photo. The hardware is stainless steel from your local home improvement store. We used the existing holes in the bumper (no need to drill there) but did need to drill holes in the PVC. We have end-caps on both sides of the PVC with small holes drilled for air flow and added a piece of reflective red tape here and there. This photo doesn't show it but we supported the PVC in the back with two small pieces of cedar blocks one on each bumper support rail held on with an electrical tie. This helped level it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
X2

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #16

Wish I could get a 5" PVC fence jacket. Tried every hardware store and fence company in my area. The only place I found was a lowes three provinces away and they won't ship it because it's too long; so going to have to get the valterra ez store
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Wish I could get a 5" PVC fence jacket. Tried every hardware store and fence company in my area. The only place I found was a lowes three provinces away and they won't ship it because it's too long; so going to have to get the valterra ez store
Seems to be a common problem for us Canadians. No luck finding anything here in NB either, I've tried every hardware store.
CraigBorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #18

Congrats

We live in Columbia, SC and bought ours right before the big flood so we haven't had chance to camp until this Halloween weekend. We had a PUP and this is out first TT ever. You will love it like we love ours I'm sure. Here we are on our first camp site with it at Sesquicentennial State Park in Columbia (its 10 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from Walmart)...

RicknMarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 AM   #19
Site Team

RicknMarti: Welcome to JOF from another SC member. For some reason, your pics are not posting. Let me know if you need assistance with doing that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #20

Yes please. I tried to use drop box
RicknMarti is offline   Reply With Quote