Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #1

Smile New X17Z owners!

We purchased a a 2014 X17Z in May and are loving the upgrade from our popup. I (wife) have been "stalking" the forums for a couple months and have learned so much from all the friendly folks on here.

Our first trip we had a condensation problem on the bottom of bunk but with the information on here about leaving bathroom vent open a couple inches, opening a flap a bit in the bunk area, and using the bunks fans the dealership gifted us with, our second trip in 95 degree humid weather resulted in dry bunks!

So far we have stayed within 90 minutes of home, there are so many wonderful Virginia State Parks to choose from very close by. Our first long tow will be to Myrtle Beach in October.

Happy Camping!
Hoyle1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

We are new as well. Purchased the same unit last Wednesday! Enjoying our first 3 days away checking things out.
We have had condensation as well on day one. Probably because I did the washing up in the camper without taking the drying cloth outside afterwards! NEWB as my kids would say! No problems last night.
We are however getting a funny taste, like a new hose type of taste from the new hose we were given with our startup package. It's the right hose, white for fresh water, but the taste of the hose is coming out of the water. Did I miss something to do with the new hose to take the taste out?

Also, how do you start a new post on here? I'm running on an iPad and can't seem to find how to post.

Nick & Sharon
Hrhsharonnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

As for any funny taste from the water tap, have you sanitized the fresh water tank and then rinsed? Are you filling the fresh water tank through a water filter? Optionally, under the kitchen sink, there should be a short hose that can be removed and replaced with a quick disconnect water filter.

We double filter the water that we drink from the kitchen water tap. We use an rv "whole-house" type water filter before the water enters the fresh water tank or the city water connection and an undersink water filter as the final filtration from the cold water tap at the kitchen sink. Water tastes great.

As for the hose, I smelled an off-odor for the first several uses - perhaps due to it being new and having manufacturing odors and dirt. Flushing the hose before first use should help.

As standard practice, I couple the ends to keep debris out of the hose while in storage. Before use, I flush the hose with fresh water before connecting to a filter and then flush the filter before filling or connecting.

Also, when connecting to city water, be sure to use an rv water pressure regulator to protect the inside plumbing from high water pressure.

Hope this helps.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

Thanks Sebring. We are currently using city water so it is just the hose that I have an issue with right now. I will be filing the tank when we get home and draining out the crap for the first time.

I will be using bleach overnight to see if that will clear up the taste part.

See if that helps with everything for now.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhsharonnick View Post
snip....Also, how do you start a new post on here? I'm running on an iPad and can't seem to find how to post. Nick & Sharon
If your referring to starting your own "Thread" do the following: Based on your subject matter click on the appropriate sub-forum (i.e.; Travel Trailers, Tech Talk, Towing and Tow Vehicles, etc.) from the JOF Home page, then click the black "New Thread" tab in the upper left.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

We had such a great time in myrtle beach this june. Stayed at pirate land and have nothing but positive things to say
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and congrats!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

Welcome to the JOF and congratulations on your 17Z. We love ours and also enjoy Virginia State Parks.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #9

Congrats!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #10

Welcome neighbor! Virginia State Parks are great. Going to check out Lake Anna State Park this weekend.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #11

Thanks for the warm welcome! We are headed to KOA Natural Bridge this weekend and it looks like a very wet weekend. Making sure to pack dvds, books, and card games plus thanks to Google we've found several shops in Lexington and Buena Vista to visit.

We've never been to Lake Anna so I'd love to hear what you think of it. Our favorites are Claytor Lake and Smith Mountain for the State Parks. In two weeks we are headed to James River State Park to try it out. We were not overly thrilled with Douthat or Fairy Stone. A bathhouse will make or break a campground for me and those two need to be remodeled.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #12

James River State park outside Amherst is a great place to camp. Great park with lots of trees and they even have a canoe and kayak concession. Or bring your own and they will shuttle you. Tires are good in the river too. Va Parks are some of the best in the nation.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Welcome. We bought our 17C used a couple years ago and we just love it. The '78 Jaydove is still out back. As far as I'm concerned it is staying there.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Lake Anna was great. My only complaint is that our site had NO shade at all. Of course we got there on Saturday afternoon and there were only 2 spots to choose from at that time. The sites were decently spread out. There were a couple that were close, but we were not in those. Staff was friendly and helpful. Plenty of Park Police around in case there was any issues. Lake, trails, beach, bath house was all nice IMO. Although it was kind of crowded on Sunday at the lake area, everyone did there thing and had a good time.
Of course we liked Douthat also. Haven't been to a Virginia State Park yet that we didn't like.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #15

We also just traded in our 2010 Jayco 1207 pop up for a new 2015 x17z. Don't take delivery till next week however.

Now to begin all the mods etc. Currently trying to find out what model of AC (exact model) is in the trailer but might have to wait till it's delivered. Trying to see if I can run it with my honda 2000.

Looks like the new model comes with all LED lights too, nice upgrade.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #16

Congrats on the new camper! We have taken three trips with ours so far and still love it. We came from a Palomino Yearling popup with a slide out so we are loving the easier setup and all extras the hybrid brings. I especially love not having to make that 2am flashlight trip to the bathhouse. The only thing I think is a pain is getting sheets on the beds. With the popup the canvas could be opened on corners to help get sheets on, with the X17Z I am climbing all over the bunk while trying to get sheets on.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyle1012 View Post
Congrats on the new camper! We have taken three trips with ours so far and still love it. We came from a Palomino Yearling popup with a slide out so we are loving the easier setup and all extras the hybrid brings. I especially love not having to make that 2am flashlight trip to the bathhouse. The only thing I think is a pain is getting sheets on the beds. With the popup the canvas could be opened on corners to help get sheets on, with the X17Z I am climbing all over the bunk while trying to get sheets on.
The screen unzips on the end I do believe.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #18

Looks like everyone is enjoying their traiers this year. We found a hidden Gem in Selkirk Provincial Park. The beach is a bit dodgy however the campground is quiet and the staff are great. We took the trailer there for our first run for 4 days and its been there ever since. We ahve been going up every weekend. It's nice to get away from the daily grind!

Looking around for mods and upgrades! small amounts here and there are adding up! LOL.

My wife aslo likes the ability to stay in the camper at night. That treck to the bathrooms was one reason she was not to happy camping. Now she is the one wanting to go! So to speak!

Anyone have any ideas where we can get a magnetic Knife rack? I know Ikea has them. Wondering about driving with knives stuck on them?