Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

New x20E

Hi all. We just bought the TT went camping over the 4th. Huge upgrade from a 1207 popup. I really like the bathroom. Question for others how do you deal with the mattress when setting up or taking down.
I pull mattress out set on floor this is not ideal. What does everyone else do?
Also when taking down should the end hinged tent support rest flat on the deck or can I leave it in the canvas?
Thanks
Mike
Inspector4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Hi Mike -

We moved from a popup to an x20e too. The family loves it. I store the shepherds poles on the floor under the front of the couch. An easy way to deal with the mattress during set up is to tie a rope around the metal rod that you need to push out to the end of the bunk. Make it long enough to lay over the mattress and hang on the trailer side. When you go to pop out the bunk end simply pull up the rope to lift the end pole. You can now press the shepherd pole above the mattress onto the end pole and extend. Hope this makes sense.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

I'm sensing a common theme here, we too went from a PU to the x20e. Our 1007 was great, but the x20e is fantastic. To your questions:
Bunks- I try and put out the slide first, so I set the front mattress on top of the sofa. The rear mattress stays wedged between the platform & the wall.
Hinged tent support- I separate from the canvas as a rule of thumb, but we have taken down without doing so and the canvas was not pulled tight. I was concerned about the potential for stretching or tearing but after opening things back up there did not appear to be any issue.

Hope that helps.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

I think it's easier to attached the shepherds pole if the fabric is removed from the end support . Larry
Old 07-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Congratulations fellow X20E owner! We've used ours a few times already and aside from a few small annoyances, absolutely love it. Especially the slide out. This is our second hybrid trailer, previously we had a 2003 Jayco Kiwi 17a hybrid, and before that a PUP (also a Jayco).

Here's what we do with the beds. It helped a bit that we had a previous hybrid for 10 years. We store the shepherds pole in the fold of the mattresses (the old trailer had 60/40 split mattress with 2 separate pieces so the pole was stored on the deck in front of the bed wall.). That's how it was demonstrated to us and it works great. To open the front bed I simply flip the folded mattress forward, there is enough room to do this and still access the tent support. Then I stick the shepherds pole on the tent support and push up, then unfold the mattress and pull it full out. It helps a lot to move the dinette table out of the way. The back bed by the bathroom is a bit harder. I've been sliding the bottom part of the mattress out a bit, then hooking the shepherds pole to the tent support and lifting it, then unfolding the mattress. Its not real graceful but I'm getting a little better at it.

Finally, the tent support should lay flat on the deck. Otherwise it will be pushed out the mattress and make closing the bed panel harder. I think there is also potential to damage the canvas over time too if its not flat on the deck.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Thanks to all that replied. It's very awkward pulling out the mattress on the rear bed. I was hoping someone had found a way to setup / take down with out removing the mattress from its vertical travel position.
Inspector4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Oh, I'm sorry. I don't think I stated that right. I never remove either of the mattresses. When I say I'm sliding the bottom part of the rear mattress out a bit, I mean away from me and onto the bed deck to tilt it and give me room to reach in and snap the shepherds pole on the tent support. We only remove mattresses for cleaning the bed decks. And that's only at the winterizing and de-winterizing time.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote