Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

New X23B owner with question

I'm a pretty new member, a couple of posts and a lurker mostly. We (the bride an I) will pick up our new 23B on the 19th and I'm making an impressive pile of "stuff" that I know (or think I know) I'll need.
Can one of you 23B owners let me know what your hitch height is? I want to make sure the shank has enough adjustment for our new toy.
We've very carefully watched "The Long Long Trailer" to be sure we know all the ins-and-outs of trailering.
Cheers,
Tom
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

When parked and leveled on my shop floor, the top of the ball socket is 19" off the concrete.

Welcome to to the forum. Check out the mods section where I posted a couple of threads that created more useable storage space and also a shore power inlet.

You will like your 23B as we certainly do. We like the fact that you can get the outdoor experience of the pop out bunk ends while retaining the amenities of a traditional travel trailer. You can also open or close the bunk ends depending on how many guests are in your party.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

mcfarmall,
Thanks 110%! Like I said, I've been lurking for a bit and have read your mod posts. Good stuff!
I've wondered if one of the ends could be left folded. Another mystery solved.
Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Turtle-ing

Leaving the bunk ends folded is very convenient if you know weather is coming, or if you're just boondocking.

I just bought a 2011 X23b, late model (with the extended counter-top rather than TV table). LOVE IT!!!!

Welcome, and congratulations on both the trailer and marriage.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanks Rusty-,
Our poster "Mustang" has a 2010 23B and moved his from the little table to the micro cabinet. Maybe one of the Jayco designers lurks on the forum looking for good upgrade ideas.
Cheers,
T_
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 and the top of my ball is 21 inches from the ground and I have plenty of clearance. Enjoy that new 23B..we sure do!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

KDandJD,
Do you also knowyour trailer hitch height? Mcfarmall reported 19". If yours is also around 19 and the ball is at 21" does that result in a little nose-up attitude? I've checked my hitch and at the lowest mounting point my ball will be about 21" also. I've been checking local shops for a longer shank with no luck and am trying not to stress up over this. BTW my TV is an '03 Expedition 2WD (5.4).
Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #8

It is possible that KDandJD measured the distance from the top of the ball to the floor on their tow vehicle before it was hitched to the trailer. I think what matters most is that the fully loaded trailer is level once you have it hooked up to your fully loaded TV.

When I set up my WDH I had all the bikes, firewood, etc. in the truck bed, as well as the trailer fully loaded (all holding tanks empty...shouldn't travel when full). I even made all the family members sit in the vehicle while I checked the attitude of the trailer/TV setup. They really loved that part of the setup...NOT!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #9

mcfarmall,
Thanks for chiming in. I've decided that I'm trying to over-think this and it's all gonna be OK. I've got a meeting tonight and when I get home I'll have an adult bev and daydream about smooth lakes and pine trees.
Cheers,
T_
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
It is possible that KDandJD measured the distance from the top of the ball to the floor on their tow vehicle before it was hitched to the trailer. I think what matters most is that the fully loaded trailer is level once you have it hooked up to your fully loaded TV.

When I set up my WDH I had all the bikes, firewood, etc. in the truck bed, as well as the trailer fully loaded (all holding tanks empty...shouldn't travel when full). I even made all the family members sit in the vehicle while I checked the attitude of the trailer/TV setup. They really loved that part of the setup...NOT!
mcfarmall is correct, I measured with truck empty from garage floor to top of ball. I thought the question was about if he would be able to get the trailer high enough to get his ball under it, that's why I answered as I did.

In regard to the nose up question to me..no, my trailer rides level with my ball top at 21inches...but maybe I should have mentioned that I use a 5 inch drop hitch..not a straight one. I also carry firewood, smoker, and all the other gear in my truck bed. The extra weight brings the hitch down right where it should be to pull. That truck is almost too tall for a shorty like me.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
mcfarmall,
Thanks 110%! Like I said, I've been lurking for a bit and have read your mod posts. Good stuff!
I've wondered if one of the ends could be left folded. Another mystery solved.
Cheers,
Tom
We bought the 23J and plan on leaving one side folded up when not needed and bonus idea is to use the mattress on top of other mattress for more cushion
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #12

Red face New member - additional hitch question

Hello everyone, new member today (3/9/13),

I pick up my 2013 X23B in a couple of weeks and I am trying to get ready for the big day. I read that the ball height should be 21" from the floor to the top of the ball - thanks I will use that.

But I have a couple of other questions
1. What size ball do I need - I currently have a 2" ball?
2. what side of the tongue do I mount the Sway Control bar - Passenger or driver side?

Thanks in advance for your help (I'm sure I'll have more questions )
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #13

Welcome whowlett!

2 5/16" ball is needed. My friction sway control device is mounted on the curb (passenger) side of the tongue.