Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #1

Smile Newbie here :) Chilly nights, do you use the furnace or electric heater

Hi ladies and gents!

We just purchased our 2014 X17Z about 2 months ago and so far...loving it! We have had her out twice this season (bought late in the season unfortunately). We went camping few weeks ago and we ran the furnace even though we had an electric site. We didn't at that time have an electric heater and thought that might be high on the "I need" list of things to buy. What do you prefer to run on a chilly night, the furnace or an electric heater. If electric heater, what make/model do you recommend. Did you do a custom install (under the dinette etc..). Naturally I would like to take advantage of the electric site vs. blowing out all my propane My wife is also demanding that we get some electric mattress pads LOL

Also, I noticed the thermostat was very inaccurate and I had a hard time finding the right temp. Is there a thermostat you recommend. I believe with the x17z there is only a "heat only" option on the stock thermostat, so the question is can the AC run off a after market thermostat too or should I be looking for a "heat only" type.

Last question, I don't believe the 17Z has an enclosed belly, so is it possible to camp late into the fall (live in Ontario) without risking freezing the pipes.

Thanks again! Really enjoying reading this forum!

Paul
silcoservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #2

We have an electric heater, small ceramic type, worked excellent in out 18' toyhauler. Now have a 30' White Hawk and small electric heater does good during the day but not during the night.

Your wide has the right idea, we put an electric blanket on our bed with individual controls so we each have the perfect temps.

Regarding thermostats, avoid using digital residential types that are not made specifically for you 12v system. The omesat Home Depot and such are designed for 24v. They will work in your trailer with some modifications but may eventually damafe your system.

We ordered our trailer with the thermal package so it holds temps very well and with the heated enclosed underbelly you can camp longer into the winter season but you will need to run your furnace to keep the tanks warm.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

I use a small portable electric heater and it keeps us toasty and saves propane.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #4

We use two small electric heaters, one in the living area and one in the bedroom plus we use the electric fireplace.

When the temperature gets below freezing we let the propane furnace cycle some so it keeps the storage are and underbelly from freezing.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #5

If I'm paying for a site with electricity then I use 1-2 electric space heaters as needed. I usually have trouble sleeping because it's too warm (>62F) in the trailer while my wife is still "freezing". Very rarely will I run the propane furnace and usually when I do it's just to keep it exercised.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

I prefer to run electric heat. We use the type that heats oil and looks like the radiators in older houses, no noise. The campers heater wakes me up every time it runs.

Buy a heat only type thermostat. The AC will not work if you are running on battery but the furnace will.

I use the camper for hunting in October and November, but if there is any chance of a freeze I winterize the camper and just don't use the water system at all. One great trick I found is using the cushions from the table as insulation. I stand one up against the canvas then put my pillow against it, my head never gets cold. Works along the long side of the bed too, keeps your sides from getting cold and you don't have to crank up the heat so high inside the camper.

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Good idea on the cushions.

2014 Jayco X17Z Ultra Featherlite
2011 Ford F150 4x4 V8
Tan&Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #8

Hi, we have a 2014 17Z. Just got back from a trip to TX and it got very cold on some of our nights traveling. We always hooked up at electrical sites and used our Jayco heater. Kept the thermostat on about 55 degrees and it kicked on throughout the night a few times. In the a.m. we notched it up a bit to get the nip out of the air. Never ran out of propane on the trip. We have an electrical heater, but decided we wanted to at least try out our Jayco heater first. We were not disappointed. One thing we experienced was condensation; however, we figured out all we needed to do was keep a window open when cooking/making coffee in the mornings, and sometimes put the fan on to keep some kind of airflow going.

2014 Jayco X17Z Ultra Featherlite
2011 Ford F150 4x4 V8
Tan&Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Site Team

If I have electric, I use both- electric and propane. How? I'll explain, but your electric heater must have a thermostat for this to work.

Now, the tricky part. You might have to "play with" the two thermostats a bit before you get this right. You set the thermostat for the propane furnace to come on a few degrees lower than the when the electric heater turns on.

Your electric heater will supply all the heat until the outdoor temperature becomes cold enough that the electric heater alone will be unable to maintain the desired temperature and the inside temperature will begin to drop. When it reaches the temperature that the propane furnace is set to, it will come on to assist the electric heater in bringing the indoor temperature back into the comfort zone.

This is the same principle that heat pumps use in colder climates. The heat pump supplies all the heat, but there is a point where it becomes cold enough outside that the heat pump is unable to supply enough heat to keep the house warm. Once the inside temperature drops a few degrees below the desired temperature, electric heaters come on to provide supplemental heat to bring the temperature back up.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Newbie here :) Chilly nights, do you use the furnace or electric heater

I do have to say the heated mattress pads are awesome!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...backup-cameras

Here is a thread on JOF talking about thermostats.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

I installed a 20A power inlet, ran it to a double pole circuit breaker and then to two wall outlets that run ceramic heaters. That way, it doesn't use power off of the 30A service.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
If I have electric, I use both- electric and propane. How? I'll explain, but your electric heater must have a thermostat for this to work.

Now, the tricky part. You might have to "play with" the two thermostats a bit before you get this right. You set the thermostat for the propane furnace to come on a few degrees lower than the when the electric heater turns on.

Your electric heater will supply all the heat until the outdoor temperature becomes cold enough that the electric heater alone will be unable to maintain the desired temperature and the inside temperature will begin to drop. When it reaches the temperature that the propane furnace is set to, it will come on to assist the electric heater in bringing the indoor temperature back into the comfort zone.

This is the same principle that heat pumps use in colder climates. The heat pump supplies all the heat, but there is a point where it becomes cold enough outside that the heat pump is unable to supply enough heat to keep the house warm. Once the inside temperature drops a few degrees below the desired temperature, electric heaters come on to provide supplemental heat to bring the temperature back up.

X2 This is what I do and seems to work great!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
X2 This is what I do and seems to work great!
X3.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #15

I will have to try the furnace and the electric combo...that does sound good. I also have the heated mattress pads, they are well worth the money. I would not camp in the cold without them again
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #16

I use the same approach as FPM III.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #17

We have a small ceramic heater. Typically during the day it sits on the stove top. At night I like it on the floor (heat rises). We too have electric mattress pads on each bunk end. They are excellent. When it has been really cold (20 deg or so) I will bring two electric heaters with me. To run the second heater I run an extension cord into the HTT through the slide out drive mechanism. You can do it through the hinge area on one of your bunks. I usually only run the furnace to exercises it, or when boondocking.

I did change out the thermostat. It runs off of 2 AA batteries.

As for how cold you can go. Well I have been out when the morning temps I read on my outdoor thermometer read 21 degrees, and the day time temps are about 40. I have never had an issue yet. I do fill the fresh water tank, and do not use a city water connection. I also keep a couple cabinet doors open to allow the heat into the cabinets to ensure the pipes do not freeze. If I get up in the middle of the night for any reason I do open the kitchen faucet (it is the last facet in our HTT) to move a little water through the lines.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #18

x2 on the heated mattress pad along with an electric heater, setting the temp lower on the furnace in case the electric heater can't keep up. The heated mattress pad sure does make it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTChamp View Post
I prefer to run electric heat. We use the type that heats oil and looks like the radiators in older houses, no noise. The campers heater wakes me up every time it runs.

Buy a heat only type thermostat. The AC will not work if you are running on battery but the furnace will.

I use the camper for hunting in October and November, but if there is any chance of a freeze I winterize the camper and just don't use the water system at all. One great trick I found is using the cushions from the table as insulation. I stand one up against the canvas then put my pillow against it, my head never gets cold. Works along the long side of the bed too, keeps your sides from getting cold and you don't have to crank up the heat so high inside the camper.

X2 on the electric oil heater. Works well...you'll be snug as a bug in a rug.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #20

We have a small electric space heater that I picked up in Target. I set the furnace temp to a lower temp than the space heater to keep it from coming on unless it gets really cold. We're good down to around 28F without the furnace. On the bed we use a down comforter. Very comfy!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote