Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Newbie Learns a Lesson

Good news and bad news. I recently bought my 23B from what I believed to be a reputable RV dealer. It's a 2005 and looked great. The bad news is that while I am remodeling I found a big leak in the front left corner. Until I started removing the vinyl wallpaper I had no idea. The good news is that I found it. The bad news is that after I went into the storage area I realized that there's no way they could have missed this upon inspection. The vinyl was completely loose from the wall and there was mold on the outside of it.

I try to look at the good in everything. At least I found it. It can be fixed and I've taken a fine tooth comb over the rest of the trailer. Was unable to find any more soft spots. Now I know what to look for when I buy my next fixer-upper. Glad I decided to do the reno now instead of taking it to Wisconsin and letting it sit over the winter.

I also know that when I got a great price on this little gem that there was a reason. I learned a great lesson.

Just wanted to take a break from my painting and share with you.
Kate
Katespak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Sounds like you know how to make lemonaid out of lemons......you will be a happy camper for sure. Good luck with the rest of the remodeling effort.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

I'm taking our 19H in for leak testing in the next couple of weeks. Not sure how common this procedure is, but a local RV repair shop uses positive pressure inside the trailer with a bubble solution on the outside to locate any air (or water) leaks in the shell (kind of like looking for propane leaks). I know I have a leak somewhere in the back corner of our unit but have been unable to find it visually. Hoping this gets results so I can fix the source before I start repairing the damage (soft spot on floor). Similar to you, I bought it with the leak, but in my case the dealer claimed the leak plugged; I'm not so sure as I think the area grew this summer.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

At least your lesson doesn't involve completely rebuilding it.

I bough our first pop-up not knowing the first thing about trailers. It was used, had a broken lift in one corner, and was musty inside. No mold that I could see though. I ended up rebuilding the floor in both front corners, new curtains, new cushions, and a host of other things. The good part was that I sold a year later for more than I paid for it.

I learned a lot with that trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote