Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Newbie - looking for tips & tricks for securing cargo in my 23B

I've ran across a couple tips regarding securing cargo..for example, stash sleeping bags & pillows in the bath/shower.

But would love to hear what others have come up with for securing larger stuff that won't fit in a cabinet.

For instance, we've got a couple fold up zero gravity chairs. Also, planning on having a decent size cooler for just drinks.

While I have a pickup, I don't have much payload left over. So everything needs to go into the trailer.

Thanks!
Charles

charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #2

Bring along a tent to store the items that are required for your group, but don't have the room for in the camper or TV.

I see this often at campsites with campers; I used to think the parents tossed the kids in the tent at night for sleeping!

Instead, I see the coolers, bikes, toys, etc in these tents.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

I travel with the dinette in the down position. I just put stuff there. I also just put the dirtier stuff on the floor.
How much stuff do you carry that you don't have enough room in a 23B?
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

I use small cleats in my van. It provides a convenient place to tie off lines, or hook straps and bungee cords. My thought would be to install them on the corner area of cabinet work or other places where you know there is some wood structure to fasten properly.

The intention is to use them to help stabilize the things you store or keep them in place. I don't suggest that the cleats installed on cabinetry are good for really heavy loads. Our bicycles are one thing that the cleats work well with. It seems the bikes are always trying to slip around and move.

The cleats can be installed in out of sight areas. I suppose they may not be good for those who like an extremely clean look inside their RV.

There are some different styles available. vic

Click image for larger version

Name:	LowerCleat.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	17485

Name:  200x200_05626.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  6.4 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	CleatFolding.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	17487
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

It's not the amount...just don't want stuff sliding around and banging up the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
I travel with the dinette in the down position. I just put stuff there. I also just put the dirtier stuff on the floor.
How much stuff do you carry that you don't have enough room in a 23B?
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

We're having the same issue with our new trailer. In the old one it didn't really matter a whole lot and things pretty well stayed where they were put. I've bought a yoga mat that I hope to wrap around our stacking chairs that have been going with us for many years. There was carpet in the old trailer and the chairs stayed where you put them. I may get some rubber-like rug underlayment to put down on the floor to set the chairs on and then wrap the yoga mat or a heavy blanket around them to keep them from marring the trailer. Just an idea in the works yet. I'd also like to hear what others do with such things. We've waited a long time for a new trailer and want to take care of it!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

We have traveled with items in the shower/tub surrounded by our bath towels. We have a slide-out on our TT and when it's in, it creates a nice closed-in area between it and the bed and we store things there and use pillows to make it more secure. We have an outside table that folds in half and we store it on the bed as we travel, also surrounded by pillows and it doesn't move. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck!

Mark, Kelley and our mutt, Macy
2014 Chevy Silverado
2015 Jayco White Hawk 21FBS
mk4ever86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

We leave the dinette table up and have a few baskets and totes that wedge in between the table and the dinette seats. These are mostly full of baby stuff, so they're not heavy but they stay put very well.

The floor plan in your 23B is pretty open, so I can see the difficulty of finding places to wedge stuff so it doesn't move. It seems like the dinette area up front would be a prime candidate, but then you don't want to load the tongue up too much. Keeping some things in the bathroom seems like a good idea...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #9

This reminded me of George Carlin who said it best; We buy a house (or in this case, a camper) with size in mind, because we have "stuff" we need to keep, or bring with us when we go places.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

Does your bed lift to allow storage under it? That's where I used to keep our chairs....

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote