Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
Newbie with Questions

Hi Everyone!

First, thank you for taking the time to read and help where you can. I appreciate your willingness to pass on your advice.

I picked up my new x17a on Saturday, and my delivery was less than stellar. During the buying process, I let them know I knew nothing, and they assured me they would teach me everything I needed to know. I asked as many questions as I could think of (after doing a lot of internet research) and recorded everything. After spending the night in it and reading the owners manual, I realized there are several more questions I have.

1. Do I need a torque wrench? I don't even know what this is or what I'm supposed to do with it, but the owners manual say to torque your tires every 50, 100, etc miles when it is new. Can anyone explain?

2. When I park my trailer on the lot where I store it, is there something I should be doing with the battery? Should I unhook it? Or is there something inside that I should be doing to turn off breakers or something?

3. I had a heck of a time getting the trailer to connect to the hitch ball. Are there any secrets or tips for this? The only movement of the TV after unhooking everything was just moving forward a few inches, so the TV was in alignment. I just couldn't get the metal thing (I don't know what it is called, coupler maybe?) to slide down over the end of the part that goes over the ball.

4. What is an appropriate water pressure I should maintain when using a water hookup at a camp site?

5. I know the axle is rated for 3,500lbs, so I've been very aware of what I'm putting in the trailer. I want to be sure I am not overloaded. Anyone have any advice for how to weigh at a scale? Do I need to disconnect completely to get the best measurement?

6. Do I turn on both propane tanks at once or do I need to switch them somehow when one is low/empty? Also, how do I refill them? Should I get a gauge or is it intuitive when the tank is getting low?

7. I couldn't see around the back of the trailer when towing in order to change lanes. Does anyone have a suggestion for towing extension mirrors for a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

As you can see, I'm a newbie to all of this.

Thanks again,
Leann
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

#3 Make sure the hitch latch is "up"

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

.....drop trailer on hitch ball, put latch in down position and pin through the hole...

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

From your list of questions I would say that the dealer sure didn't give you a proper walk thru as all of your questions should have been answered by the dealer. Don't worry as you are now in the good hands of this forum.

To answer your question about a Torque Wrench Its a tool used to make sure that nuts/bolts etc are at a proper value for tightness. For using it on the rims it would give a value in ft lbs. I have found that using a 4 way lug wrench to tighten the lug bolts by hand puts me very close to what I would get using a torque wrench. but that is me and many years of doing it. The main thing is to at least check your lug nuts before moving the RV. After awhile you will get a good feel of what to expect.

For a better description I would suggest that you google Torque Wrench.

I always disconnect and remove my battery when placed in a storage lot. It prevents the battery from discharging do to some components that remained powered, propane/co2 detector, radio and possibly any light that you may have forgotten to turn off. And also helps prevents theft.

For the propane tanks that is more to your choice If you have a auto changeover regulator that give a indication of an empty tank that has been switched over I would open both valves. Normally I only open the tank that I am using and if I run out I then manually change over. During the colder season I will then open both tanks and let the auto regulator do the work as I don't care to wake up in the middle of the night to go outside to manually change over.
I would suggest that you read any owners manuals or information for a better understanding of how the systems work.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #5

1. I would only tighten the lugs by hand but check them at those intervals to make sure they stay tight from their initial installation. I don't torque the wheels on cars and trucks when I get new tires, but I do check them with a 4 way wrench after 100 miles.

2. Depends on how secure the lot is and how long the trailer will sit. The CO2 detector and radio memory will drain the battery. I remove mine every time...it's about $130 to replace that battery and a common item for people to steal. Remember where your wire go before you disconnect...take a picture on your phone if you need a reference.

3. see other posters comments. Also try putting some grease on the ball. The ball should be near the front edge of the coupler when it is lowered..too far back and the ball will hit the coupler latch and you will not get the ball to seat.

4. I believe most RV water pressure regulators are set at 30-35 PSI. I always use the regulator since I don't carry a pressure gauge with me to test the CG's pressure.

5. Someone else can elaborate on this. Also search for CAT scales in this forum..plenty of posts on this.

6. Just one is fine...the one the arrow on the regulator is pointing to. You will find (unless you are constantly using the oven or furnace) that the TT will use little propane to run the fridge or HW heater. No add on gauge will accurately read the amount of propane in the tank...when it is empty, remove it and take it to propane distributor (some tool rental companies and RV dealers provide this) and have it refilled. You can sort of judge when a tank is low by the weight of the tank.

7. CIPA makes a nice add on tow mirror but I don't see anything listed for that new of a Jeep. Etrailer.com suggests CIPA universal mirror 11953 for someone that also had a 2015 Grand Cherokee.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannDi View Post
Hi Everyone!

First, thank you for taking the time to read and help where you can. I appreciate your willingness to pass on your advice.

I picked up my new x17a on Saturday, and my delivery was less than stellar. During the buying process, I let them know I knew nothing, and they assured me they would teach me everything I needed to know. I asked as many questions as I could think of (after doing a lot of internet research) and recorded everything. After spending the night in it and reading the owners manual, I realized there are several more questions I have.

1. Do I need a torque wrench? I don't even know what this is or what I'm supposed to do with it, but the owners manual say to torque your tires every 50, 100, etc miles when it is new. Can anyone explain?
The lug nuts that secure your wheels onto the trailer axle need to be checked. These nuts can loosen on new trailers and need. A torque wrench helps ensure the lug nuts aren't too loose or too tight. Because checking the torque should be done frequently at first, it is usually best to plan on doing it yourself. Hopefully you have a friend near you that knows about tools etc. and help you with selecting and using a torque wrench.

2. When I park my trailer on the lot where I store it, is there something I should be doing with the battery? Should I unhook it? Or is there something inside that I should be doing to turn off breakers or something?
There are a few things that are always 'on' that you cannot shut off with the breakers or removing a fuse. Disconnecting the battery ensures these will not drain your battery while in storage.

3. I had a heck of a time getting the trailer to connect to the hitch ball. Are there any secrets or tips for this? The only movement of the TV after unhooking everything was just moving forward a few inches, so the TV was in alignment. I just couldn't get the metal thing (I don't know what it is called, coupler maybe?) to slide 438 × 418 - popupportal.com

down over the end of the part that goes over the ball.
The photo may not be exactly like yours, but the latch must be open ('up') for the ball to enter the coupler. It is a close fit, and you may need to rock the trailer from side to side to get it to slip onto or off the the hitch ball. There should be some lubricant on the ball, coupler, and latch. You can also have a problem if the trailer and tow vehicle aren't perfectly positioned and cannot roll a bit as the coupler settles onto the ball. If either is on a slope, this can be especially troublesome.

4. What is an appropriate water pressure I should maintain when using a water hookup at a camp site?
About 40 psi, as I recall. You will need a regulator to control it. Some campgrounds can have pressures so high it can damage your water system and cause water leaks that can damage your trailer. There are several inexpensive, non-adjustable regulators available. Virtually any place that carries RV supplies will have one.

5. I know the axle is rated for 3,500lbs, so I've been very aware of what I'm putting in the trailer. I want to be sure I am not overloaded. Anyone have any advice for how to weigh at a scale? Do I need to disconnect completely to get the best measurement?

6. Do I turn on both propane tanks at once or do I need to switch them somehow when one is low/empty? Also, how do I refill them? Should I get a gauge or is it intuitive when the tank is getting low?

7. I couldn't see around the back of the trailer when towing in order to change lanes. Does anyone have a suggestion for towing extension mirrors for a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

As you can see, I'm a newbie to all of this.

Thanks again,
Leann
Hopefully, some of this will help. I'm sure you will get lots of help/information on this site... Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer.

You could also try the search function on this site. You may find answers to questions you didn't know you had.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

Here is some info from CAT on weighing at a scale. Most will tel you to do this on a camping trip when the vehicle is loaded. Your load will be light at first...as time goes by, you will find yourself bring more and more items each time you camp.
How To Weigh | CAT Scale
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
Thank you so much everyone!! All of this is super helpful! I think part of my problem with the hitch was I might have been back too far, even just a hair off. The release level doesn't stay up, so maybe it requires two people.

So will the trailer know which tank to get propane from or is there a switch or something to tell it to go to the second tank?
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannDi View Post
Thank you so much everyone!! All of this is super helpful! I think part of my problem with the hitch was I might have been back too far, even just a hair off. The release level doesn't stay up, so maybe it requires two people.

So will the trailer know which tank to get propane from or is there a switch or something to tell it to go to the second tank?
On my trailer the tanks will switch automatically from one to the other when the one it was using is empty. Your's likely is the same.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

look on the regulator and there should be a little lever with an arrow on it which will be pointing to the tank in use if both valves are open. If you only open one valve the arrow should point to that tank.

With both tanks valves open and the arrow pointing to one tank that is where the propane will be drawn from. When that goes empty the auto regulator will switch and there should be some sort of a window that will show red telling you that the tanks switched. When that happens turn off the empty tank and switch the arrow to the tank in use and when you can get the empty tank filled.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #11

This may help you
Go on youtube and paste the following in the search window

How Does My RV Automatic Propane (LP) Changeover/Selector Valve Work?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

The ball latch usually pulls up a bit and then you will be able to move it forward. It will latch in place until you raise it up and allow it to move back to a lockdown positionYou can tell when latched, for the holes in latch and hitch will line up. May I suggest a lock to lock this in place. Always cross your safety chains, and hook them to veh frame. Hitches have been known to pop off and allow t/t to drop down (hopefully on crossed chains) and this will allow you to come to some type stop. Also, lock it in place when unhooked, this may slow down theft. Calm down, its just a matter of time and you will be giving others advise.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #13

I'm not familiar with your trail, but all the trailers I am familiar with, when you pull up the lever to hitch or unhitch, you slide it back toward the trailer.
Then it will stay up for you to hook up.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

You got some great answers, no need for me to repeat anything, but I will add to the answers for #4.

Most RVs today can take pressures up to 60 PSI. However, better safe than sorry, 45-50 PSI is plenty sufficient for use in the trailer. Buy one of these, only a few dollars and they last many years. I won't hook up a city connection without it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #15

As to the battery, remove it when the travel trailer is in storage, and place it on your bench (?) in the garage or other storage area, and connect it to a trickle charger. Trickle chargers can be bought at any automotive parts store, Walmart, or other comperable store. The trickle charger will keep the battery charged and ready for your next camping trip, plus extend the life of the battery.

Also by removing the battery while in storage, it eliminates the potential for theft.

As already mentioned, put a dab of white grease on the ball of your hitch to help the coupler drop down onto it easily, as well as pull off when disconnecting from your tow vehicle.

Check with your local MOPAR parts department at the dealership you purchased your Grand Cherokee from; they might sell them, but a quick search on Google shows only "slip ons" available for your existing stock mirrors.

You may want to purchase a screw on water filter/pressure regulator available at any RV dealership, or again at Walmart (automotive/RV section). While most campgrounds use city water, some have stated the water was "hard" or smelly. These filters can help.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #16

And, if someone is behind your trailer, no need to worry about hitting them changing
lanes, they are behind you

But, towing mirrors do help a lot.

You didn't ask about backing up which is a skill all in itself, but hopefully you've got some experience. I find having my DW either guide or drive is very helpful as I'm only into my TT a handful of trips so far and not being able to see back there is worrysome, so I use a spotter. I don't care if I look like a newbie, rather not hit anything! A lot of of the spots I've been into are a bit tight.