Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

no propane

used my trailer about 2 weeks ago, propane was fine. yesterday i could not get the auto regulator to change from red to green when i opened either tank (tanks are full). replaced regulator and still nothing. no flow and no change in reg indicator. has anyone had this problem before? dont think the new reg is bad but could be. seems more like something else. i did check stove to ensure it was off. frig is running on electrical power. i read about an excess flow valve but dont know if the 23b has one and/or where it's at. usually pretty good at this stuff but must admit this one has me baffled. thanks
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #2

I wonder if there is a leak detect in those regulators? Maybe an appliance is on and when you turn on the gas it detects a leak and shuts off automatically
mleger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #3

just identified where the excess flow valve is and its on the regulator and i used the existing one for the new regulator. need to check that it seems. might have found the problem. more to follow.
Sold 1999 Durango
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

I have a Blackstone griddle and if you turn the propane tank on too fast the regulator excess flow valve thinks there's a leak and shuts off the regulator. That's where I got the idea from LOL
mleger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

I'm not sure on this suggestion because I don't have an auto regulator on my dual tank unit but... Most will tell you to turn the fuel on SLOWLY at the tank and then test the flow by turning on the stove to verify you have a flame (flowing gas). There is a mechanism designed to shut off the gas if the flow is too fast, suggesting a breach in the sealed system. You sound like me (handyman) so between all of us here on the forum and your efforts, you'll eventually have an answer.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

The flow preventer is in the Acme fitting on the tank, before the regulator. However, if slowly opening the valves does not allow the propane to flow, it might be pointing to a possible real issue downstream. Have you checked to ensure that there are no open appliances (a stove burner on) or perhaps one of the propane lines along the underbelly has been compromised after being hit by road debris?

I would be looking to see if the system is able to maintain pressure before trying again.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

Solved. Found the main hose to the manifold under the trailer chewed through. Gaping hole. Two other lines are also chewed. I want to use some four letter words but I am glad the excess flow valve and safeties worked. Now for the heavy lifting.
Sold 1999 Durango
Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichaels View Post
Now for the heavy lifting.
and some rodent control...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichaels View Post
Solved. Found the main hose to the manifold under the trailer chewed through. Gaping hole. Two other lines are also chewed. I want to use some four letter words but I am glad the excess flow valve and safeties worked. Now for the heavy lifting.
You gotta make sure you feed your kids--they get hungry!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #10

I just had a leaking valve replaced on my 2013 tank. Propane was leaking from the packing behind the on/off wheel. Prior to this I had a slow leak at the fuel gauge. Last week the regulator decided to go out and steadily leaked a full tank of propane.
I guess the lesson is each component can go bad, mine decided to all go within a year.