Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Outdoor storage under rear tent end

I'm thinking of creating an outdoor storage area under the rear tent end, similar to what you see with 5th-wheels under the front BR. My plan is to use some 'super velcro' and a tarp that is long enough to wrap around the whole end and hang down to the ground (most likely will be cutting a large tarp in half). This will allow me to keep my bikes put together and locked to the rear bumper instead of having to break them down and put them together all of the time (stored in the TV), yet still be out of sight.

Has anyone already done this? Any ideas on a better method on creating the 'room'?

Thanks!
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #2

Sounds like a good idea but I just have a 15' security cable and run it through the frames of the bikes wherever they are parked. If you can move and load up 4 mountain bikes and a Worksman Trike bundled up with a cable you deserve them.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

I like the idea, as I also have a lot of bikes too. Where exactly do you plan to put the super velcro...meaning, where on the tent-end flip-out to you plan to attach the velcro?
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
This will allow me to keep my bikes put together and locked to the rear bumper instead of having to break them down and put them together all of the time (stored in the TV), yet still be out of sight.
My wife and I bring our mountain bikes on every camping trip. We bring 4 bikes (2 to ride and 2 spares). When we leave on rides for the day, we just lock them up with a cable to the closest tree, the picnic table or the rear bumper of the X17Z. We have never had any problems with doing this at any of the campgrounds we have stayed.

What I will say, it is nice to have the storage area under the bed to keep things dry. Sometimes we put our bikes there, but most of the time we stash our chairs there overnight.

I subscribe to the belief that locks and hiding spots are designed to keep the honest person honest. If someone is really determined to make off with our mountain bikes, they are going to be gone.

Joe
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

I have never had an issue with anyone walking away with anything at a campground
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have never had an issue with anyone walking away with anything at a campground
Same here, but was told at 2 CG's this last year to lock bikes. One was in SLC. Evidently someone was coming though at night and stealing bikes.

I guess it happens.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am a bike racer, and typically ride every day when traveling. If I keep my bike in the FJ, I need to pull the front and rear wheels every time I ride. This is definitely something to 'keep honest people honest'. If I don't feel safe leaving it out, I'll put it away in the car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikester View Post
I like the idea, as I also have a lot of bikes too. Where exactly do you plan to put the super velcro...meaning, where on the tent-end flip-out to you plan to attach the velcro?
I was just going to put the velcro on the outside of the tent-end door. It won't be very pretty, but also wouldn't be very noticeable. I would attach the other velcro to the tarp. Trying to keep things simple...
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

I was just going to put the velcro on the outside of the tent-end door. It won't be very pretty, but also wouldn't be very noticeable. I would attach the other velcro to the tarp. Trying to keep things simple...
Just be sure the velcro is clear of the sealing surface on the hatch. You don't want to have any water leaking into the bunk.

You may be able to get a few rubber coated metal clamps to grab your bunk edge and hold the tarp in place. It would be easy to remove and shouldn't damage that sealing surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp-6-470-1008.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	10293
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

How about puting velcro on both sides of the tarp. Then you can attach the tarp to the bed frame, then attach the tent end to the other side of the tarp. It's a great idea. I might even go to our local canvass repair shop and have them make me a custom fit, with one side staked down and a zipper on the other side, for easy access. Maybe Jayco should make them as an option.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #10

I understand the bike thing. What I do not like about the tarp enclosure is; if someone wants the bikes or whatever else is under they can spend as much time behind the tarp doing damage or quietly cutting a lock and no one will notice. Most of the time I place the bikes under the rear bunk by order of cost. Most of the time we bring the mountain bikes so, my bike is the most expensive so it is first next to the trailer, then my wife’s, then my son’s. I then use a couple of good plastic coated cables and a U-Lock, all secured to the bumper. For most part they are out of the weather.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote