Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

outdoor stove, or work table I can mount to the side of the camper

My camper has the connection for the propane grill and the rail to mount it to, but I would never use that grill, that so I didn't get it.
But I would like to see if I can find a stove, like a pop up stove that I can attach to that rail, or a little work table to put stuff on.

Has anyone done anything like this?
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #2

I haven't but I saw at a campground where a guy built a sweet work table that attaches to the stove rail on the side of the trailer. Basically an outdoor kitchen thing.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

There is a table that I bought a couple of years ago that I love. It is card table sized and it folds together smaller than a bag chair.

Or

http://www.campchef.com/outdoor-camp...ith-grill.html

I bought one of these for $210. It works very well.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

I should do something like that myself. Both my trailers came with the outside rail mounted propane grilles and I have never opened the boxes.

I use my Coleman ROAD TRIP blue grill at the rail location next to my trailer door and usually have a folding bag table next to it. I could probably modify the rail slide into a small table but really the wood fold-up bag table does just great. Its a shame not to ever use the propane grill that came with the trailers however...

If you make too comfortable outside you might get an uninvited guest...

photo from google images
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

I have a X23B and I had a similar issue with my grill. I didn't like the one that came with the trailer because it was more of a grill than a stove top. I wanted individual burners so that I could put pots/pans on them. I ended up doing most of the cooking indoors on the stove top even though I wanted to be outside. I couldn't find anything good that could attach to the rails, but I bought a stand alone two burner stove from Camp Chef that connects to the TT's propane (need to buy proper hose). I love it. I use it all the time. I bought a cast iron griddle for it. I put the griddle on one side, to do pancakes, steaks, etc and I leave the other burner for pots and pans. Here's a link to the two burner outdoor stove.

http://www.campchef.com/pro-60-2-bur...ane-stove.html

Killbear Camper
KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

KillbearCamper,
I really like those big campchef stoves, but they weigh a ton if they are the same ones I am thinking of. I keep saying I want one, but then I think about packing it away in the truck or camper, and decide not to do it. I don't really like to cook inside if I don't have to. I guess I will use my Coleman two burner propane for stuff in pots, and coffee. I do a lot of cooking over charcoal when we camp. I have even done turkeys over charcoal in the past. They come out great. I think the RV companies are missing some sales not offering a stove you can attach to the rail.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Maybe it me, but I am just not interested in attaching something that gets that hot to and you purposefully set on fire to the side of my camper.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

I think an inside stove has a degree of fire hazard with it as well as an outdoor stove, maybe more since your more closed in.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

It is around 40-50 lbs. I just fold it up and put it in the trailer. It is defintely bigger than colemans, but it can cook a lot. This weekend, I made breakfast on it. I had a bunch of peameal on the griddle, put the beans in a small pan on the corner of the griddle and then I used the other burner to make omelettes. At night, I flipped over the griddle (from the flat side) to the grilling side and I made steaks, grilled zucchini and grilled tomatoes. I like cooking steaks over the fire too, but a lot of times it is really tough to control the heat in the camp fire to get a good sear and then slow down the cooking when you just need to finish the steaks. I can also put all the stuff I need on the fold down trays (S&P, paper towels, spatulas, plates, etc.). Overall, I really like what I can do with it and the weight issue only comes into play twice each trip - taking it out and packing it up.

KillbearCamper
KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #10

You are making me hungry!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

Just an fyi-- the RVQII grill, mounted on the outside rail is furthur away ( ABOUT 12") from the tt than the combustable surfaces that the inside gas stove is close too. The side of the tt doesn't evan get warm. Larry
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

I imagine that teams of lawyers were consulted before Jayco put the gas connection and the mounting rail on the side of the camper.
The people who make the grills, probably had their own lawyer meeting.
It would be interesting to find out if they did any worst case scenario testing to see what would happen.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

I believe that grills that mount to your sidewall are safe.
But I wouldn't believe a team of lawyers about anything.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I believe that grills that mount to your sidewall are safe.
But I wouldn't believe a team of lawyers about anything.
I agree. But I still bet they made sure the lawyers thought it wasn't something that would get them sued by people who burned their campers to the ground cooking a few burgers.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #15

I made a work table like I think you are describing, but I don't have the trailer any longer or a good picture of it. Our dealer's parts department sold me the aluminum piece that fits on the stove and is used to mount it to the side of the trailer. I remember it as being $5 and change. It predrilled for the stove, but those holes worked well for attaching a homemade table (basically finished pine boards). The table is supported by a piece of conduit that sized for level and crimped to fit the existing bracket. The total cost was less than $15. It was very useful for cooking with electric appliances, and handy outside storage otherwise.

It's probably the same thing mcfarmall saw, only a simpler version.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #16

It looks like I'll build something. I called my dealer to get the rail I need to match up the the rail on the camper. I'll mount that to the table I'll make, someday soon I hope.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
It looks like I'll build something. I called my dealer to get the rail I need to match up the the rail on the camper. I'll mount that to the table I'll make, someday soon I hope.
Hope you get roundtuit soon!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #18

Just reading about the steaks in the fire. We love that, also we do thick cut bacon over the fire. You wont want bacon any other way after this. We use a tripod with a round rack to cook over the fire. You can adjust the rack close to or far away from fire depending on the heat you want. We get people looking at ours every trip we take, should start selling them on the campsite, could make a lot of money. I think outdoorworld.com has them for about $30-40. Definately a must for campfire cooking. Ours is so used after 3 years we need to replace the rack.
kabldeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #19

I used to have one of those. I used to use it to cook a turkey. I would put the turkey on the grate, and then wrap the 3 chains in foil, making a chimney. Then use charcoal briquettes to cook the turkey raising or lowering it as needed. It used to come out GREAT!
I didn't like it for other things thought because it moves around when trying to pick up or move things on the grate. The grate was getting bad so I got rid of it.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #20

This is our solution. The original Vitco stove was long gone when we bought the trailer second hand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4788
The grill is small, but there are only two of us most of the time. I have cooked for up to 5 people on it though.

The shelf is a wire rack from Home Depot and uses the standard brackets to hold it up. The brackets are attached to vertical strips of aluminum that run between the trim strip and the track Jayco supplies for the stove. We always turn off the ball valve under the trailer when done cooking.

The stove was $95 from Sears but CW sells it for $120. The shelf cost was about $15. It works well, is easy to store and light weight. Leave the ends of the support rods a little long and they make a handy place to hang utensils and pot holders.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote