Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

Oven issues in 17Z

This past weekend was the first time I tried using the oven to do up some cinnamon rolls. It seems to be very hot along the bottom, and the heat doesn't seem to circulate properly to brown the tops.

Has anybody else has similar problems, and if so, what sorts of solutions have you found for dealing with it?

I wanted the oven to be able to do things like warming crusty bread, baking rolls, cookies, maybe frozen pot pies. I'll never do any "formal" baking in it, so just need it to to do a pretty minimal group of tasks.

Any help would be much appreciated!
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Hi gaylec, ... don't know what oven you have. It sounds like your getting heat but it's not circulating, or it's being lost to poor insulation. If the oven has a fan, check for its being operational. If it doesn't, I would call the manufacturer (not Jayco) and ask them about it.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

If you are not used to a gas over, it does take some getting used to - especially that small RV oven. We use stone baking ware which tents to distribute the heat a little better. Turning on broil toward the end will also help brown the tops.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
If the oven has a fan, check for its being operational. If it doesn't, I would call the manufacturer (not Jayco) and ask them about it.
Jayco did not manufacturer the oven. They buy the appliances. The oven in my 17z is the only gas oven I have used. I have a separate thermometer to help keep the temperature inline. I also preheat the oven for 15 to 20 minutes before using it. The propane gives off water when it burns, so there is more moisture in the oven and that changes the cooking.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

I use gas at home exclusively. Poor circulation is no doubt one of the problems, and I didn't preheat before I threw the rolls in.

So maybe I need a combo approach, a fan to circulate. perhaps something to lift the baking sheet off the floor of the oven, as well as taking the time to preheat. Good suggestions everyone! I really want to do better next time, which is this weekend upcoming!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

We have a 17Z and probably have the same oven as you. My wife has made casseroles and also English Muffins with cheese on top. No issues in either case. She preheated the oven on all occasions.

The oven in the RV as well as the one in our house have no fan so the technology is the same - preheat the oven and allow the heat to rise. Preheating does not take long with this oven. As for browning the tops of dishes, my wife would use the bottom drawer on the house oven and in the RV oven she'd try and fit the dish (which would have to be fairly low and flat) on the bottom of the oven under the burner. We have not done this yet, mind you and probably never will.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #7

Two more things. I use pans with a heavy bottom. They help keep the heat even. I also use smaller pans so that the air can circulate. If the pan fills most of the oven and does not leave room around the edges for the air to circulate the bottom of the baked item will over cook.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

we have the same problem in our x23j. I use gas at home, so we know its not the "getting used to gas" issue. Everything burns on the bottom. It's the poor distribution of the heat. Someone told me to layer the bottom of the oven, under the rack, with unglazed floor tiles and it would stop burning. I haven't tried it yet but I think that definitely could help. I was also thinking a baking stone, if I can find one that fits pretty snug.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

A baking stone, that's a great idea!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

I put 2 6 x 6 unglazed floor tiles centered on the shelf that the burner is mounted to. Make sure the holes around the front and sides are not blocked. This helped a bit, but I made a perforated metal "riser" that sets on the rack and brings your pan up about 1". This helped a bit more. When I bake, I preheat for 10 minutes, put the pan in and rotate it 1/4 turn every 10 minutes and stuff comes out perfect every time.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

Your metal riser idea sounds like a good one! I might have to try that. While this may not be 100% relevant, it's good to remember that you're burning propane, which burns quite a bit hotter than natural gas. If your home runs on propane as well there's no learning curve at all, but if your home is connected to natural gas (as ours is), remember that your fire is a hot one! This is most noticeable on the stove burners where I find it easy to screw up things like omelets! :napoleon:

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #12

One other thing to keep in mind is that the burner in an RV oven is only about 1 1/2" below the bottom rack. On a residential oven it is nearly 6" below the bottom rack. That's why the perforated metal riser helps with the burning issue by putting more distance between the pan and the burner. Yes there are more btu's in a given amount of propane versus NG, but the oven thermostat should still regulate the heat so that while the flame may be "hotter" it still will only burn when necessary to maintain a given temperature.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
One other thing to keep in mind is that the burner in an RV oven is only about 1 1/2" below the bottom rack. On a residential oven it is nearly 6" below the bottom rack. That's why the perforated metal riser helps with the burning issue by putting more distance between the pan and the burner. Yes there are more btu's in a given amount of propane versus NG, but the oven thermostat should still regulate the heat so that while the flame may be "hotter" it still will only burn when necessary to maintain a given temperature.
That is a great suggestion!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I made a perforated metal "riser" that sets on the rack and brings your pan up about 1".
Does your oven have a few locations for the rack? Mine has 2 or 3 locations to put the rack.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
Does your oven have a few locations for the rack? Mine has 2 or 3 locations to put the rack.
Mine has two, so maybe raising it will help also.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #16

Yup it does but when I move the rack up one level, you can't fit anything thicker than a pizza pan on it without hitting the top of the oven. I actually tried this before resorting to the metal riser idea and my round cake pan for cinnamon rolls wouldn't fit.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
We have a 17Z and probably have the same oven as you. My wife has made casseroles and also English Muffins with cheese on top. No issues in either case. She preheated the oven on all occasions.

The oven in the RV as well as the one in our house have no fan so the technology is the same - preheat the oven and allow the heat to rise. Preheating does not take long with this oven. As for browning the tops of dishes, my wife would use the bottom drawer on the house oven and in the RV oven she'd try and fit the dish (which would have to be fairly low and flat) on the bottom of the oven under the burner. We have not done this yet, mind you and probably never will.
Since posting the above we put our oven to the test -

The English muffins with melted cheese came out great and were used in McMuffin-style egg sandwiches with bacon and cheese. Now enjoying my coffee following two of those.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
Since posting the above we put our oven to the test -

The English muffins with melted cheese came out great and were used in McMuffin-style egg sandwiches with bacon and cheese. Now enjoying my coffee following two of those.

Looks like there is plenty of room under there. I'll have to try this.

This past weekend I followed all your suggestions and took the time to preheat the oven. It didn't solve all the issues, but it certainly helped. I still think I'd like to get some sort of fan for inside the oven to spread the heat better.