Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Parking on incline...

It's my understanding that you use the crank by the hitch to level the hybrid front to back. That being said, our driveway is inclined and it's resulting in me needing to crank it up HIGH.

Can one crank it too high? We have nice heavy duty rubber chocks... But I'm worried the blocks holding up the hitch part is under too much pressure.

It's still not level... I feel like I'm going to run out pole length.

Or am I worrying about nothing? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439417910.389960.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	19662Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439417919.494596.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	19663Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439417930.700291.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	19664

Ps. Sorry for inundating the forum with so many questions! Maiden voyage hopefully this Friday!
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

And yes, I need to lower the stabilizer jacks... But that shows how much I jacked it up while attempting to level it.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #3

If your just storing it in your driveway then no, you don't need to have it level... Just high enough to get your TV under it.. NOW.. if you are going to pre-cool your refridgerator before a trip then yes, it needs to be level.. I'd say 99% of campgrounds have pretty level spots... and yes you can extend the front jack too much and bend it.. You need to just have a good solid base under it so that you don't extend it more than about 3/4 full.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

High or as low as you need. The tongue jack will bottom out at the end of travel.

I would make one recommendation. Use larger surface area for at least your bottom block. It will be safer if the unit happens to shifts. I have my blocks screwed together. Then sitting on a piece of plywood. That is about 1 foot square.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

I had a similar problem, I ordered a six inch extension with a plate on the bottom. It just attaches to the jack with a pin for removal while towing, now I don't need a stack of wood.
It was around $8 at Amazon.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

I currently have my 29qbh in my driveway with the jack extended until it stopped. I do use the interlocking blocks and of course the chocks and stabilizers. I also have the extension which goes on the end of the jack down rod and gives a slightly wider base. No problems yet after 2 years.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #7

Use whatever blocks you need to avoid going to full extension.

Jacks and stablizers can't do their jobs well when maxed out.

I keep a couple of 6x6 wood blocks and a few 9" cement blocks for the times the trailers are kept on the sloped side of the barn.

The linx levelers are more than enough when camping.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

Ok! Gonna practice towing and backing up tomorrow so that'll give me an opportunity to get it on the TV and then I can get some meatier blocks underneath it.

So if I get some more substantial blocks under the jack (so I don't have to extend the jack so high) then I don't have to be concerned with any forward pressure/weight? It's not straining at the wheels or anything like that?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Ok! Gonna practice towing and backing up tomorrow so that'll give me an opportunity to get it on the TV and then I can get some meatier blocks underneath it.

So if I get some more substantial blocks under the jack (so I don't have to extend the jack so high) then I don't have to be concerned with any forward pressure/weight? It's not straining at the wheels or anything like that?
If your driveway is on a incline no matter what there is gonna be some pressure against the wheel chocks and if they were removed the trailer would want to go forward.And yes if you get some some wider thicker blocks for under the tongue jack you will be fine.I use scaffold planks from work they are 1" thick and 6" wide.I stack 6 on top of each other and screwed them together,my truck sits a little high and I need them to get the trailer off the hitch when I park so I don't over extend the jack.Just get a 2x6 pressure treated from the store and if you have extra you can use them under your stabilzers if needed.You want a nice wide board under them if the ground is soft for stability.It's just my opinion im sure someone could have a another option

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

You can never ask too many questions, the more you ask the happier camper you will be later. Ask away, people love to share their knowledge.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #11

If I were you I would build a big wood block about a foot high to rest your tongue jack on. Use 2X4 or 4X4 and make it a cube built Jenga style. It will be heavy but you won't have to lug it around since this incline is only at your home.

I would also invest in a pair of X-Chocks. Not only will they help reduce wiggle in your trailer but they are also great insurance that the trailer WILL NOT roll away since the axles are locked. Keep in mind that conventional wedge chocks are always required, and the X-Chock is a secondary measure. Sure gives me peace of mind when parked on a slope.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post

Just make sure the footprint of the blocks is big enough. I'd be hesitant to raise it too high on a 6"-8" footprint. Pyramid the blocks. Walking around in the trailer will rock it back and forth and a wider footprint, in my opinion, is safer. As far as the TT pressing forward, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the chocks are durable enough to hold it back.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #13

At our old place we parked on an incline, not quite as bad as you have it. I was in a hurry one day, had picked up the HTT from the dealer over lunch and brought it home. Unhooked, did not use my oversized piece of plywood under the tongue blocks, nor chocked the wheels. Came home from work that evening and found the tongue jack buried into the asphalt. It was sitting for about 4 hours, no one was home going in and out of it. Since then I insist on a good front foot, chocks and a different version of X-Chocks. Our new place has the opposite issue, still have incline, but the tongue almost touches the ground. We have a concrete drive here, and I still put down my piece of plywood first.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #14

This is how I do mine. Built crib blocks out of cut 2 x 4's and then put jack stands on them. Keeps trailer level in my slanted driveway.It IS a hassle to hook up and unhook but it beats a monthly storage fee!
Attached Thumbnails
0525151326.jpg  
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote