Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

PEZ tubing in my 19H??/Shut off valve?

Just got back from the fist trip of the year with my 19H. The water valve leaked on the toilet, which I hear can happen. So I went to shut off the toilet water valve so as to have water in the rest of the trailer but could not locate one.

Perhaps I'm blind but I did not see it. So I had to shut off all of the water to the trailer.....which really suked big time. It seems so stupid to me but the tubing looks like one continues run.

So to my question. I am determined that this never happens again. I am going to put an in-line shut off valve in the toilet line. I may put a few more in as well so as to be able to isolate any of the systems and not lose the entire water system. And yes I know not to leave them closed for the winter or I'll have buku issues.

Before I cut into the tubing is it PEZ tubing? The clamp is a PEZ clamp so I'll hazard a guess that the tubing is as well?

The tubing measures 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD as best as I can measure. Is this a size I can get say at Home Depot?

Do I need to use PEZ tubing?

Do I need PEZ crimper or a good ole' fashioned water pump clamp?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer up some help here!

Best,

Harry
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Myself, I would cut the pipe, leaving room to work with on both ends, take it loose at valve, take that piece to a pluming store or rv place, buy and insert a in line valve (m x m)use the old fashion screw clamps, install a water pressure regulator, and call it good. Had the water pressure go to about 120 lbs last summer at a rv park in New Mexico. That messed with a lot of us campers for sure.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Home Depot and Lowes carries a good assortment of PEX quick-connect fittings. Look for SharkBite brand. You might be able to find an inline valve that you can just push onto the cut ends of the PEX tubing after you cut out a short section.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Myself, I would cut the pipe, leaving room to work with on both ends, take it loose at valve, take that piece to a pluming store or rv place, buy and insert a in line valve (m x m)use the old fashion screw clamps, install a water pressure regulator, and call it good. Had the water pressure go to about 120 lbs last summer at a rv park in New Mexico. That messed with a lot of us campers for sure.
Thanks! I did have a water psi control valve in use at the time. It may be age or I may have had a bit of water in there over the winter. Either way it was frustrating to need to shut down the entire water system.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Home Depot and Lowes carries a good assortment of PEX quick-connect fittings. Look for SharkBite brand. You might be able to find an inline valve that you can just push onto the cut ends of the PEX tubing after you cut out a short section.
Thanks! yes, I have seen those sharkBite quick connects and it amazes me how they work. I'm a bit of a chicken to use them as it seems hard to believe they can hold that much water pressure.

Do you know if I am correct on my guess as to the correct tubing size ~3/8 ID and ~ 5/8" OD??

Harry
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

I've used the shark bites in my home where I can't get a PEX crimper. They are amazing. You won't have any issues.

UPC
Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

PEX tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM View Post
Thanks! yes, I have seen those sharkBite quick connects and it amazes me how they work. I'm a bit of a chicken to use them as it seems hard to believe they can hold that much water pressure.

Do you know if I am correct on my guess as to the correct tubing size ~3/8 ID and ~ 5/8" OD??

Harry
The Sharkbite fittings will work on both PEX plastic tubing and appropriate sized copper tubing.

The design uses an O-ring seal to hold the system pressure. The "Sharkbite" part of the design is only to hold the tubing from slipping back off the tubing. The pressure that the "Sharkbite" retainer sees is only the force of the system pressure and the cross-sectional area of the tubing. As long as it is properly installed, the design has been used successfully for many years now.

Because they are more expensive, the Sharkbite style fittings are not often the choice of professionals. The crimp type fittings are much more cost effective. Sharkbite fittings are often a good solution for DIY projects when only a few fittings are needed for the job.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #8

Don't fear Sharkbite fittings, they work really well, and make life very easy.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM View Post

Harry
Everything in my Eagle fifth wheel is 1/2" PEX. I've cut a few places and installed good quality brass ball quarter turn valves.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Everything in my Eagle fifth wheel is 1/2" PEX. I've cut a few places and installed good quality brass ball quarter turn valves.
Thanks everyone. I believe my Jayco 19H is 1/2" PEX. I thought it was 7/16" but the guy at my local hardware store looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "it's gotta be 1/2""

So I also got the low down and the dog and pony show. I could buy the Apollo 1/2" and 3/4" crimper for $40 bucks and a bag of crimp rings for 10 bucks.

OR

Get a Sharkbite in line shut off valve (push on) for 8 bucks and a 2 foot long 1/2" PEX for 3 bucks. As you all mentioned the hardware guy said "it won't leak"

So I did choose the push on. I have a toilet valve coming from e-bay for 27 bucks so I should be back on line by the weekend.

And I plan on doing what CosmicDebris did and add some shut offs here and there.

It's quite frankly cheap and stupid for shut offs not to be installed at the factory IMHO as its common sense plumbing.

Best to you all.

Harry
Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #11

I had a similar problem but not with the pex line My valve on the toilet was leaking and needed to be replaced. What I did so that I could continue checking the rest of the water lines was to disconnect the line at the toilet valve and put a 1/2 inch plug in the connector fitting. I had a few on hand from when I had my pop-up. They do come in handy and may help you get through an emergency. Also like your idea about adding shutoff valves.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #12

You could use one of these.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #13

UPDATE

After thinking it over I went with the SS pinch clamps (which is what's there now) and as Cosmic suggested brass fittings and valves.
I picked up a used Sharbite pinch tool on ebay and a bag of SS pinch rings at Home Depot.

I now have a shut off valve behind the toilet, for each sink, hot and cold.

Looks and works like a charm. I actually like the brass lever shut off at the toilet as I throttle it back a bit to reduce the water flow so as not to splash out around the rim.

Thanks again everyone!

Harry