Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Picking up my 2004 23B Jayfeather

Hi all,
We will be picking up or at least doing our walk through in 2 weeks. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to ? Were there any known issues with this model. I t was extremely well taken care of. We looked for all the obvious issues before we made the offer, and took out an extended service contract for 2 years. I saw a thread about low drains and water pump, anything else ? we graduated from a PUP. so the mechanical things are new to us.
geostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

As I posted on your other thread Check the dates on your tires.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Check the ceiling by the AC unit. The screws have been known to loosen and cause a leak. I checked mine annually.

Check the area between the dinette and front bed for any signs of leaks from the front gasket while being driven in the rain. Water from this area can also be seen in the storage compartment if you look carefully with a flashlight.

We had one for 6 years and loved it but any opening can leak as seals age. Those are the spots I know have been problematic.

Good luck.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

About 4 years ago we went from a pop-up to a 23B. Great move. You will love it. Here are some of the things we had to get used to:

1. Always chock both sides before you do anything else. This is a
LOT heavier than your pop-up

2. Adjust your brake controller every time you hook up

3, Make a check list to include antenna down, steps in, TV fastened, slide in,
doors locked, stabilizers up, vents closed

4. You will need sway control and weight distribution for your hitch

5. You will have to watch closely at some service station entrances and exits
due to low hanging drain.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

Thank you all great stuff ! The service guy told us we should not need a sway bar, when we do our walk thru we will confirm that, you would think he would try to upsell us as it would be money in there pocket.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Sway bar may not be an absolute necessity, however you will know whether or not you want one the first time a semi passes you at highway speeds. We are pulling with a Toyota Tundra and our dealer strongly suggested we use one. It is definitely different than pulling a pop-up.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks Ed, we will take that into consideration. If we decide too are they widely available should we shop it ?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

Just two cents of opinion here. I say, get a WDH with sway control. The dealer says you don't need one which is true. However, for wear and tear on the TV when it comes to handling, peace of mind for yourself and your family when towing down the highway, and many more variables, you will can't go wrong with the added stability.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

This is what our dealer installed.(see link below) It is a combination Weight Distribution and Sway Control system. I am sure there are others that accomplish the same thing. This one is pretty easy to hook up and unhook. There were some measurements that needed to be done correctly during installation so If you are good at that kind of thing it would be a DIY project. If not I would have the dealer install it. This site also has several videos to help you out. FYI...I just saw this post on another thread, and thought it might help you decide.....I have a 2013 ecoboost with maxtow as well. I'm hauling an X23b. The electronic sway control on the truck saved my butt on my second trip out when a semi flew by me. I went out that night and bought a sway bar from Harbor freight. With the max tow package I don't think the trailer tongue weight was heavy enough to worry about the wdh,but the extra sway bar made a world of difference. I think of the electronic sway control as a nice backup.

Safe Travels to you and yours.....Ed Brodt

Equal-i-zerĀ® Hitch - The ā€œAmerican Originalā€ with 4-Point Sway Controlā„¢ and Weight Distribution
Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

Welcome aboard and congrats on new rig
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brodt View Post
About 4 years ago we went from a pop-up to a 23B. Great move. You will love it. Here are some of the things we had to get used to:

1. Always chock both sides before you do anything else. This is a
LOT heavier than your pop-up

2. Adjust your brake controller every time you hook up

3, Make a check list to include antenna down, steps in, TV fastened, slide in,
doors locked, stabilizers up, vents closed

4. You will need sway control and weight distribution for your hitch

5. You will have to watch closely at some service station entrances and exits
due to low hanging drain.
Just to add here, always make sure your lever lock for the slide is in.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

We've had our '04 23B for four seasons now and there's a few things we've experienced over time.

1) The AC bolts were definitely loose. They tightened them when I had a local dealer do a complete inspection, but it had caused a little sag in the roof that's just there now.

2) Anytime the unit is not in use, it's parked on an angle which reduces any pooling in that area.

3) However, I learned that if we are using it and we get heavy rains, I need to tip it and drain off the roof before starting the AC. Last year I couldn't figure out why it was leaking water anytime I turned the unit on until I tipped it and all the water came off. Problem solved.

4) Check the seals on your storage compartments. I learned the hard way that a leak will let water enter in. Ours failed during the off season so when I went to get it this spring, I found that the opposite end of the camper had a soft spot right before getting into the bunk. What happend is the water entered through the failed seal, got all the way under the linoleum, and because we tip the unit, traveled all the way down to the other end and caused the wood to soften. We haven't torn up the floor and replaced anything yet, but will keeping an eye on it for sure.

All in all, we are really big fans of the unit and have zero regrets about having purchased it. Nothing that has ever happened has made me think that shouldn't have happened. Just stuff that happens.

Enjoy!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote