Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Please Help! 16XRB or X17Z

Hello, I am new to the forum & looking for your thoughts & advice! I really want to purchase a hybrid and have narrowed it down to the Jay Feather 7 16XRB OR the X17Z. My tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6 with factory tow pkg & rating of 5,000 lbs, payload 1,130 max. I live in Illinois, but do want to be able to tow safely in the mountains, already planning a trip to Colorado this fall. I will be getting a WDH & brake controller for safety. Am I ok for the 17Z or is the extra 300 lbs + 190lbs added hitch weight not worth the extra foot in width, nicer sofa & slightly bigger bunks? They seem to be so similar in almost every way. I am coming from a pop-up, so I will be thrilled with either. Sometimes the 2 of us camping, occasionally our 3 grown kids will join in. Do you have any recommendations or reasons why you like one or the other? Anything to be careful of? I am hoping to purchase this week & would truly appreciate some advice from everyone! Thank you!!
Coastal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

I had a 2002 Jayco Qwest popup for 14 years and was perfectly happy with it. I used to tow it with a Nissan Pathfinder. I too have a Grand Cherokee (2013 V6) and found a used 2013 X17z for sale locally in 2016. I really love it. I usually travel from CT to VT, NH and ME. No problems at all in the mountains. I average about 20 mpg solo and 11-13 towing. Vehicle is very stable with sway control and WDH. Cargo capacity is not great. I never travel with water tanks full and usually it is 2 or 3 adults. My cargo capacity is 437 pounds, but I think we do a good job with restraint and do not over pack. (I believe they have upgraded the CCC on the 2018 x17z) I love my Jeep too. I would not hesitate to recommend that combo.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

We have an 2013 x17z and tow it with a 2015 Pathfinder that has a 5,000 lbs towing limit. We've been through the Virginia and (somewhat) into the West Virginia mountains. I haven't had an issue yet. I do think that if you plan to camp with your three grown children, you're going to have a hard time finding a place for all of them to sleep. The dinette is not that big and the couch is even worse. My experience with it is that if a person is more than 5'2'', they're going to be cramped on the dinette.

Also, you will want to seriously consider taking two vehicles if that many adults go along. You're not likely to have much leftover cargo capacity in the vehicle. We drove with three teenagers for one trip, and the extra person plus her gear was noticeable.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Considering both units have the same maximum GVWR they are probably the same axle and frame underneath. So it becomes a question of size vs. carrying capacity.

At 6'3" I am barely comfortable on the bunk of the full size Jay Feather. I tried the bunk on the SLX Ultralight, and that foot of difference was huge for me. The SLX has a bit more cargo weight capacity because the unit itself is lighter, and if the bed length is not an issue to you, then the cargo capacity might be. The 760 lbs for the X17Z isn't much gear really.

I tow a larger X19H with a similar class Traverse (same towing capacity, about 500 lbs more payload capacity) and it tows fine with WDH and Sway, and I am within all limits at the CAT scale. We regularly tow in the Andirondacks, not nearly as tall as CO, but still some good grades on back country blacktops. No problem maintaining 55. I think either combo will do you fine for towing.

I agree with Steve though, if the teens are joining you they should bring their own car, your Jeep will take the trailer or the kids, but probably not both. And stick then in a tent outside to save everyone's sanity (that's what I do with my kids) .
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #5

I would say if you vehicle can tow it get the nicer (larger) one - you will be much happier.
I thought our 19H would be perfect. After a couple of trips I with I had a slide out on it just for a little extra space.

My next will be something with no hybrid beds but with bunks and a bedroom plus a slide out. It's just hard finding that in a hort enough trailer to get up into the hunting camp we go to.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Thank you all for your comments! My inclination is to go with the X17Z and I feel reassured now that I could tow it. With either unit, we will take 2 vehicles if the 3 kids join us, so as to not weigh down the Jeep. Mostly it will just be the 2 of us. I’m still weighing the pros & cons of each. The X17Z is 3 hours away and priced $2k more plus cost of WDH & brake controller. The 16XRB is 30 minutes and they are coming down lower in price & offering a good deal on the WDH & BC. They will also install a fan in the bathroom, which I was wanting instead of just a vent. Driving only 30 minutes for any needed service instead of 3 hours would be nice. Any other opinions appreciated! This forum is such a wonderful resource and you all are very helpful. 😊
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

You can always take your Jayco elsewhere for service - you can't always add a foot of length to a trailer.
curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls View Post
You can always take your Jayco elsewhere for service - you can't always add a foot of length to a trailer.
Very true, good point.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

I was in the same situation as you. For me the deal breaker was the bunks. When I laid down in the 16RB my head and feet were that the canvas and i'm not a tall person, only 5'9. The x17z with the extra foot gave me plenty of room. The only downside to the x17z that i've found is it only comes with the 10ft awning while the 16RB gives you the 12ft. Not sure why Jayco did that but its kind of annoying. Everything else is bigger with the x17z, why not the awning. Good luck!
JE78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal18 View Post
I’m still weighing the pros & cons of each. The X17Z is 3 hours away and priced $2k more plus cost of WDH & brake controller. The 16XRB is 30 minutes and they are coming down lower in price & offering a good deal on the WDH & BC. They will also install a fan in the bathroom, which I was wanting instead of just a vent.
Offer make the offer of the X17Z lower then. When I bought ours in April, I offered $14,9 (which was the price of the 16RB) they countered we settled on $15,9. The extra foot you'll appreciate on rainy days, plus it comes with 2 propane tanks, ours came with a power jack, nicer rims over the 16RB. Not sure what your deal but good luck!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #11

Thanks for your input, JE78. I offered the same price as the 16XRB, so we will wait & see what they come back with. They are charging twice the amount for the wdh & brake controller so I told them what the other place quoted to install them. Hope they want to make a sale & come down! I will consider going with the smaller unit if it means a substantial price difference. I wish price was not such a big factor, but I have to finance a good portion and want to be able to buy all the necessities I will need to stock it. I am curious if the 16XRB owners are happy with this model or if it has other problems/complaints in addition to being smaller & a few less features. I am dying to get out there around the campfire again! Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #12

Hope they accept it. As for the break controller I installed my own, My truck was pre wired with one, I just needed to buy the device. If your Jeep is pre-wired you might want to look into that as well to save you some money.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

I looked at the 16XRB and the x17z. I am really happy that I made the correct purchase. My Jeep Liberty CRD had no problems other than getting warm on the hills. Power was there, cooling was not. We just did our first trip in our new 2018 x17z and had a great time. California to Woods Lake Arizona. Like the others mentioned, short bunks were not for us, nor was the lack of extra cabinets over the windows. Ohh the roof top AC was a plus also, no longer blowing the back of the TV.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #14

I love my 16xrb. My hubby is getting used to it. Since it’s just the two of us and our dog, it fits our needs comfortably. My hubby is just 6 feet and often his toes do poke out when in bed. But, since I bought it and I tow it, he has to put up with it....
We use the second back bed for storage and when my niece and nephew travel with us, one gets the dinette and the other a tent outside.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #15

Well it’s been a stressful couple of weeks, my Jeep broke down & wasn’t sure if I’d even have a vehicle to tow a camper. After 10 days finally got it up & running again. The RV dealer would not come down on the price for the X17Z but the other dealer with the 16XRB did come down and I was very happy with the price. The slightly smaller size is actually ok with me & a little lighter to tow is better for the Jeep I suppose. Tomorrow I am going for the PDI and if all goes well, I will be a new Jayco owner. I want to be as thorough as possible so as to not overlook any defects or potential problems. Nervous as heck, I hope I sleep tonight. MagooisBoo, I’m glad to hear you like your 16XRB. I sure hope I do too! Thanks again to everyone & I hope to post next time as a satisfied new owner! 😊
Old 06-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

When I bought my 2016 X17Z, being pulled by a Dodge Dakota 3.6L V6, the dealer rep tried to sell me a $500 WDH, which I declined, at least temporarily. When the service rep gave me the walkthrough, I asked him about the necessity of a WDH. He just smiled, and coyly said, "Try it without first". What he was really saying was that he didn't think I needed one. And he was right. I've towed about 4,000 miles now and haven't ever had a hint of sway. My old 17' popup swayed a lot worse than this one. A trailer brake is a necessity.

On another note, the Dakota would pull OK, but I wasn't happy with it. It was slow on freeway entry ramps, a lot of gear hunting with the AC on, and 60 MPH if you were lucky. I ended up getting a RAM 1500 Hemi, and, as they say, I barely know it is back there!
rgeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #17

Congratulations Coastal18! I think you will be really happy with the switch from a popup to a hybrid. As much as I loved my Qwest popup, the convenience of the extra amenities makes it worthwhile. Good luck and in hope you share some of your experiences with us.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #18

We love our 16XRB! It's light and agile and easy to tow and see around while towing. We've made modifications including simple extensions to the inside of the front bunk so we can sleep front to back instead of crawling over each other and the hound. I think either trailer you are considering would be great and Jayco's 19' hybrid looks really nice too.

We towed our 16XRB for over 16,000 miles with our 2007 I6 4.2 Trailblazer. It did fine in our native flat Michigan, in the eastern mountains and in the Rocky foothills. However, an engine loses 3-4 horsepower for every 1,000 feet of elevation and we struggled starting at 7,000'. Our maximum was 9,941 feet and that was really close - barely crawling in 2nd gear. Most passes in Colorado are over 10,000. In short we could travel over every interstate in the country except 71 miles of I-70 in Colorado between Idaho Springs and Avon. Headwinds also causes problems.

Our engine mysteriously died in the desert 120 miles east of Albuquerque. The Chevy dearer couldn't figure out just what happened with it but said they couldn't fix it well enough to be reliable. Fortunately Lomas Boulevard in Albuquerque has thousandths of excellent rust-free competitively-priced used cars. We pulled our trailer the 1,700 miles back home with a 2014 5.3 V8 Tahoe from Quality Buick/GMC. It pulls much easier and will be able to handle headwinds and altitude with no problem. It's a big relief to not have to calculate, wonder, and worry about routes, wind, and altitude.

If you are really set on pulling a small trailer through the Colorado mountains I would suggest, if you like your Grand Cherokee and would like one for a tow vehicle, trade it in for a model with a V8. Also we had a transmission cooler and rear spring assisted shocks on the back axle of our Trailblazer.

Happy RVing to you! We have enjoyed our 16XRB even more than we envisioned! I think your choices of trailers is excellent and your car should work just fine, but not for towing in the Rockies.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #19

We pull our 16XRB with a 2011 Veracruz & WDH and our trailering buds have the X17Z with a new GMC Denali.

We like our lightness and large awning but I have grey/black tank envy. Theirs are almost twice my size. That said we're good for three days with two people.

Have fun with the 16XRB!
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
We pull our 16XRB with a 2011 Veracruz & WDH and our trailering buds have the X17Z with a new GMC Denali.

We like our lightness and large awning but I have grey/black tank envy. Theirs are almost twice my size. That said we're good for three days with two people.

Have fun with the 16XRB!
After 50 years of primitive tent camping my wife and I and hound are careful with our water use and waste. We can easily go a week without dumping our 25 gallon tanks. However, we usually carry about 3-5 gallons fresh water plus a half gallon for flushing during travel and dump every 5 days or so just to keep the weight down.

Our main tank concern is the gate valves and cables. I re-routed the black tank cable straight to the side where it should have been so it's only about 19" long in a straight line. Our grey tank valve was installed crooked and has always been a problem. Now it's locked open, but we have an installed gate at the end of the dump tube to catch gate valve problems. (Highly recommended!) Sometime I hope to reconfigure the grey tank dump pipes so the gate valve will go to the side next to the double bracket i made for the black (and hopefully grey) tank cables.

We have done a lot of custom upgrades to our 16XRB to make it perfect just for us. The most recent is a small plywood pull-out on the bench to form a big-enough extension for comfortable sleeping. I'd be happy to share if you're interested. : )

Happy camping to you!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote