Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Pop up gizmos

anyone have these bunk end covers? how well do they work? do they stay attached well? and how do they attach? thinking about these for our 2012 x23b was going to make some ourselves,but my first design kept wanting to slip away from the tt body towards the end of the tent.thanks mike.
msk565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk565 View Post
anyone have these bunk end covers? how well do they work? do they stay attached well? and how do they attach? thinking about these for our 2012 x23b was going to make some ourselves,but my first design kept wanting to slip away from the tt body towards the end of the tent.thanks mike.
We used them when we had a pop-up.

They are a must have product.

Highly recommend.

The new high wind version would be my choice if buying today.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

drfife is absolutely right on the money. We belong to several clubs and those who use them, including our daughter and son-in-law wouldn't leave home without them.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4

I have the super high-wind version PUGs on my 17Z. They work fine and seem to stay in place for the most part. I've found the most difficult part when installing them is getting them clipped where the roof of the tent end attaches to the RV. I have to stand on a bucket or picnic table to reach up that high. Other than that it's pretty straight forward - there are about a dozen bungie cords with plastic clips on each PUP. You drape the PUP over the bunk end and attached the plastic clips to each other (under the bunkend) or some spot on the trailer hitch area. Some folks leave them on when trailering, but I take them off when it's time to break camp.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

I have used Pop Up Gizmos for years. They do several things. Keep the bunkend cooler in the summer. Keep the bunkend darker. Keep the bunkend cleaner Help prevent condensation in the bunkend, and keep the bunkend warmer in the winter. Attaching the PUGs to the lip around the top of the bunkend opening is a problem. I called Bob Pitney (the owner) and discussed how the covers attach to the trailer where the tenting comes out for the bunkend roof. I had them sew the "soft" side of Velcro to the edge of the high wind PUGs I had purchased. I attached the "rough" side of the Velcro to the inside of the lip, just behind the rubber seal. I only remove the covers to clean them. It makes setting up the bunkend much easier than having to attach them each time I put the bunkend out. The first picture shows the cover attached. The second picture shows the Velcro, black on the PUG and white on the trailer. The third picture shows how I fold the cover before closing the bunkend.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5512.jpg   IMG_5515.jpg   IMG_5513.jpg  

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
I have used Pop Up Gizmos for years. They do several things. Keep the bunkend cooler in the summer. Keep the bunkend darker. Keep the bunkend cleaner Help prevent condensation in the bunkend, and keep the bunkend warmer in the winter. Attaching the PUGs to the lip around the top of the bunkend opening is a problem. I called Bob Pitney (the owner) and discussed how the covers attach to the trailer where the tenting comes out for the bunkend roof. I had them sew the "soft" side of Velcro to the edge of the high wind PUGs I had purchased. I attached the "rough" side of the Velcro to the inside of the lip, just behind the rubber seal. I only remove the covers to clean them. It makes setting up the bunkend much easier than having to attach them each time I put the bunkend out. The first picture shows the cover attached. The second picture shows the Velcro, black on the PUG and white on the trailer. The third picture shows how I fold the cover before closing the bunkend.
great idea with the velcro.thank you and everyone else with their replies.helped me to decide what to do.....mike
msk565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk565 View Post
great idea with the velcro.thank you and everyone else with their replies.helped me to decide what to do.....mike
Your welcome.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:

TLHDOC.

i'm very interested in the newer looking rubber seal you are using to seal the bunk ends... i'm sure that is a DIY item (not original jayco)... did you do a write up on this?

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmotion View Post
TLHDOC.

i'm very interested in the newer looking rubber seal you are using to seal the bunk ends... i'm sure that is a DIY item (not original jayco)... did you do a write up on this?

The seal is the original Jayco seal. It is not an upgrade, but thank you for thinking I did it.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #10

ah.... i wonder if that seal can be installed on a 2009 model... methinks it probably could be... i'll investigate further... thanks!

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

I think we are ordering the super wind ones today for our hybrid.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

good choice
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmotion View Post
ah.... i wonder if that seal can be installed on a 2009 model... methinks it probably could be... i'll investigate further... thanks!

I would think it could be installed. Good luck on the gasket.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I think we are ordering the super wind ones today for our hybrid.

I have the super high wind covers. I have used all 3 styles and the high wind version stays on the best. We camp at the beach each year and the winds can be brutal. Haven't lost a cover yet.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
I have the super high wind covers. I have used all 3 styles and the high wind version stays on the best. We camp at the beach each year and the winds can be brutal. Haven't lost a cover yet.

That's exactly why we're getting the super high wind ones. There are two CG's around here that we go to all the time that are on the beach.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #16

I use 9X12 tarps over my bed ends on my off-road 14RT POPUP. The GIZMOS were way too expensive. I use stretch rope to secure one end of the tarp to the roof built-in rain gutter before raising the roof. Then I pull ot the bed ends with the 9X12 tarp drooping down over the ends. Go inside and setup the hardware to fill out the bed tops. Now i can tie down the 9X12 tarps to the pull out bed sections using more stretch ropes. It folds in very nice.

The beauty is I can change tarp color schemes as well... Either Blue, Tan, Brown, or Silver haha...

Works great for us and being a 9X12 i have plenty of room under the tarp when it is raining and can take down my POPUP for travel mode without getting wet. Also keeps my tent fabric dry as a bone. Its over five years old now and looks just like new.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #17

We used solar blankets purchased from REI and they work the same. We had a few cold rainy nights and placed them inside at each end of the bunks (foil side facing in). Wow what a difference as they kept much of the heat in!
wb2nco is offline   Reply With Quote