Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Popup Gizmos

I have a few questions about popup gizmos and since I know lots of folks have them, hopefully I can get them answered

I know these will attach with velcro, for those using this method, did you just use regular "sticky back" velcro or the Industrial strength? I'd probably opt for the industrial strength, but I've got a bunch of the regular type. Just wondering if anyone has used the regular type and whether it has held up.

How many leave these attached when packing up? Not having them yet, I don't know how "bulky" they are, but it would be nice to be able to leave them on to help with setup. My only concern is with the rear bunk and getting to much "stuff" in between the bunk door and the bathroom wall.

How quickly do they dry after a rain and how easily do they clean up? Kind of excited to not have the tops of the bunkends get dirty, but would like to keep these fairly clean as well. Last year on our vacation we ended up under some type of tree with berries dropping on the rear bunk of our popup, not to mention the birds leaving little berry care packages, took a LOT of work to clean up.

Allen
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

Received our Super High Wind PUGS today, I am very happy so far. Lightweight and not overly bulky, if these things do what they are supposed to, they will be great!
ITBC
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
Received our High Wind PUGS today, I am very happy so far. Lightweight and not overly bulky, if these things do what they are supposed to, they will be great!

I forget which ones we had with our 17z. I know they were they most expensive ones they had, I just don't remember the exact name.

They work really well. They kept the bunk ends free from condensation in the cooler months when we ran the heat. They also helped keep the TT cooler in the summer by reflecting the sun. As an added bonus, they also help darken the bunk ends in the morning.

I don't see why they wouldn't fit on the bunk ends, even when you close them up. They are very flexible and thin. They're basically larger versions of those sun reflectors people put on the dashboards of their cars.

We used the little metal clips they give you to help keep the PUG's on the bunk ends while open. We put 2 clips on the PUG's and attached them to the top seams of the bunk ends. They worked well.

Enjoy!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

They are actually the "Super" high wind, goofed on that. Yeah, after seeing them I think they can easily be folded up with the tent ends.
ITBC
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

We've had ours for a few years now and love them. They do exactly what they're advertised to do and they do it exceptionaly well. Because of all the clips and the fact that they attach to the overhang on the outside of the bunk ends, I would not recommend leaving them on. You would have to detach them from the overhang and unhook all the clips, when closing up the bunk ends anyways, then you take the chance of the clips pinching your vinyl top. We detach and store in a small gym bag and stash in the storage area, when not in use. It's really not a big deal to pull them out and set up each time, unless you're moving every day or two.
One of the first experiences we had with our gizmos was at a state park. Early one morning one of the other campers stopped to ask me why we had tinfoil on our tent ends and I couldn't helping them that it was to keep the aliens from stealing our thoughts. I thought the woman was going to scream and run away until my wife wrecked my story and told her the truth. I could have had alot of fun with the neighbours that weekend. :-)
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

I used industrial strength Velcro to attach my solar covers to the lip of my hybrid bunkend. I left the covers on the PU and I leave them on the hybrid. You can wipe the covers to dry them. They don't absorb moisture so wiping gets most if not all water off of them. I only remove my covers to clean them. If they are damp when I close the bunkends I open them when we get home.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
One of the first experiences we had with our gizmos was at a state park. Early one morning one of the other campers stopped to ask me why we had tinfoil on our tent ends and I couldn't helping them that it was to keep the aliens from stealing our thoughts. I thought the woman was going to scream and run away until my wife wrecked my story and told her the truth. I could have had alot of fun with the neighbours that weekend. :-)
I'll have to remember that one

Our's don't really require clips, they are held on by bungees and then velcro to the bunkends.

Quote:
I used industrial strength Velcro to attach my solar covers to the lip of my hybrid bunkend.
That's was I was wondering, I wasn't sure if the regular stuff would be strong enough, thanks.
ITBC